towing cars

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
AndrewT

towing cars

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Why do most people I see towing cars feel they need to have the hazard lights constantly flashing on the car being towed?
I find this quite rediculous because it means they have no way of indicating! People driving behind cannot tell if they are going to go left or right.

My method is to print out a big sign and stick it on the back "WARNING - ON TOW" and just operate the indicators normally.

fredsub

Re: towing cars

Post by fredsub » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:56 pm

AndrewT wrote:Why do most people I see towing cars feel they need to have the hazard lights constantly flashing on the car being towed?
I think the hazard part is higher priority...there are some dills on the road...
like some that may swerve into your lane and expect you to hit the brakes....
lol theres a cable there........
AndrewT wrote: I find this quite rediculous because it means they have no way of indicating! People driving behind cannot tell if they are going to go left or right.
well hopefully at the speed of the towed vehicle, the turn intentions are fairly obvious :wink: and any decent driver will read the road ahead...ie more than just the car in front of ya nose......
AndrewT wrote: My method is to print out a big sign and stick it on the back "WARNING - ON TOW" and just operate the indicators normally.

nice idea, but too many dills just don't know how to read.....
is the sign flashing ? :lol:

Disclaimer: however I haven't consulted any regulations/laws re my comments...just common sense......

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:16 am

I am pretty sure that in NSW you have to have a rigid bar between the 2 vehicles whilst in tow (to be Legal)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:29 am

I am pretty sure in QLD it is against the law to have the hazards on on a moving vehicle.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 am

Suby Wan Kenobi wrote:I am pretty sure that in NSW you have to have a rigid bar between the 2 vehicles whilst in tow (to be Legal)
this is also the same for WA.
I keep em on however when i need to turn at intersections (overtaking 8O LOL) ect i cancel the hassards and use the indicators, once around the corner i put the hassards back on - gotta agree with Fred on the dill factor.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:17 pm

Subaman wrote:I am pretty sure in QLD it is against the law to have the hazards on on a moving vehicle.
At one stage in Victoria there was an ad campaign to encourage people to drive with their hazards on in foggy conditions... I've never seen anyone use it though and i havn't seen the ad for a few years now... if i saw hazards on in foggy conditions it means to me there's a stationary vehicle and extra caution is to be used...

And as far as i know we arn't required to use our hazards when towing, nor do we need a rigid bar between the cars...

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”