Forester utility

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
pedroj

Forester utility

Post by pedroj » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,
I am deliberately not going to call it a ute, have been investigating taking a donor 79 series forester (2006/2007) and removing the roof rom the C pillar back. This would leave the rear doors in tact (rear seats removed) but see the tailgate and side windows gone to leave a partially un covered 'tray'.

I have found a certified engineer that thinks this will be a simple process to get approved as the A,B & C pillars will be left in tact so flex in the body will not be a big problem.

Has anyone see something like this done before in Australia? I still have my brumby but crave for some creature comforts like a motor that does not burn oil or sound like a box of nuts in a tin can when trying to drive up a hill.

Peter in S.A

pitrack_1

Re: Forester utility

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm

There was the SH Forester Ski patrol / mountain rescue concept in 2008/2009. See e.g.

Motor1 article

Google image search for "forester SH mountain rescue concept"

That's all I can think of and it wasn't in Oz.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

L-Rex

Post by L-Rex » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 am

You will have to find something to weld in as the rear cab window section.

I'd look at grafting the rear tailgate onto the C pillars, but as a non-opening panel.
L-Rex

1992 L-Series Wagon, which used to be EA82 auto.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am

Hello L-rex,
had thought of using the existing tailgate but it has a bend in it and that seemed to be a hassle to work with so had gone through the junk yard to measure up other utes. The older Toyota Hilux single cab seemed to have a rear cabin panel and window that might be closer to the mark size wise or the same era Holden Rodeo so I think I have a few choices there, then I get to use a common window style and window rubber should I ned to change it.

Peter.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Paul who used to run Subareck here in Adelaide has a professionally done Forrester ute, about the same vintage as what you are looking at. Don't bother asking him to sell it, there's no way he will :lol: He's on bookface, if you happened to buy anything off him you might be able to see it.

I didn't get a good look around it, but he mentioned they only seriously reinforced the floor at the rear so they could hinge the tailgate downwards like a Brumby.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:45 am

Interesting.

So you’re saying it’ll remain a 4 door?

Could you do something like the style of the mid ‘90s Maloo Ute and keep the C pillar like a stylised sports bar?

I’ll be interested to see where this ends up - and I’d love to see pics!

Also consider having the gmv upgraded so you can actually carry a load in it :lol:

Cheers

Bennie

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello Bennie,
while the four doors will remain in the shell, the rear ones will become fixed in place (welded) if I can swing that through the approval, otherwise just closed with a few tech screws to make sure LOL. I would like to remove the window glass from the rear doors and if needed put in a partial plate across the empty window space to allow me to affix the new rear of the cab about 300 mm behind the front seats so I have a small amount of storage behind the seats for tools and a skinny esky :D

The only real difficulty I see is if they (rego dept) get narky about air bags but I think that year only has front air bags so it is not like I am removing any passenger safety devices.

How to do the tailgate is still not clear to me, initially it may just be some marine ply on hinges until I get the lightning bolt of idea.

I had been pestering Paul about his rumoured run of Forester utes but his last message a few months ago hinted that would no longer happen, guess it is up to me to make my own bit of heaven.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:43 pm

I saw one on Facebook that was almost done that was being approved apparently. I can’t remember if it was an SG or SH. Looked good.

I’m looking forward to pics of your build.

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 am

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:11 am

sg9_offroad on instagram has been converting a foz to a ute and it looks pretty great.

Return to “Subaru Chat”