rant, Alloy rims for free - how many rims to make a "lifetime" set of rims

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
henpecked

rant, Alloy rims for free - how many rims to make a "lifetime" set of rims

Post by henpecked » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:50 am

Bear with me , long post

I have a significant collection of 140 pcd rims.

For almost a year I've had a add on guntree with a "set" of 4 of the cheviot "hotwire" 13" mag rims , with 3 legal tyres. A few inquiries but nothing firm.

2 weeks ago I get a call from a bloke who I thought said he wanted those rims as he had just bought a "L" and his dad had a set and he wanted a matching set.

i was absolutely stoked, sounded like a win all round.

The bloke came round, turned out I had got the conversation a bit garbled. - his dad did not have a set of those rims.

He was a first time Subbie buyer and knew nothing about rims/tyres but just really liked the almost showroom L wagon he had picked up ( it was a V nice example)he wanted to keep it stock, but still look just a little different.

So I got all paternalistic, showed him around the various sets I had - 13"mags and standard, 14" steel, 14" performance alloys, 14" and 15" pugs, explained the PCD and offset oddities, sizes to fit in the spare tray, etc.

Then had a chat about how pointless a set of 4 alloys was for a young bloke, as you were almost certain to bust a rim at some stage, unlike steel rims, alloys are usually unrepairable, and if you wre only left with 3 - you were stuffed.

That 14" tyres were easier and cheaper than 13", and 15" tyres were probably even cheaper.

I explained why i had accumulated 9 x 14" pugs. IE 14" all-terrain tyres are easier to get than 13" or 15" , I intended to tour OZ in a EJ powered MY touring wagon with a two wheel very OFF road camper trailer (very very light) , and 9 rims gave me a spare on both the car (4+1) and the trailer (2=1), and a "special" 3rd spare for those looong outback trips, all with matching tyres

He then got back to me and wanted to get 5 14" alloys , ---all well and good.

HOWEVER it got me to thinking about the "sets" I had only 4 of.

I had a chat with Phizinza about it, and i thought rather than sell the sets of 4 and give some poor bugger a problem later, and rather than just sell them for scrap, I should try to find people who had sets of 4, who were in true love with their rims, and offer to GIVE them at least 2 more, or even the full set of 4 provided they pay for costs ( tyre removal, shipping etc) . I would not have the moral problem with having flogged off a set of four that were doomed to cause pain and become even more difficult to "complete" once damaged, and secondly I'd make sure that some other subbie "nut" would have significant insurance against damage to their beloved set of alloys.

It seemed like a good idea.

the difficulty I saw was in getting the recipient to prove that they actually had another set, and were not just saying so to get a free set of 4 rims.

Then two days later I find a guy posts up on face book asking for a 4th rim to complete his set, and THEY ARE THE SAME 13" !!!!1

This stoked me no end.

I post to ask if he wants the 4th to sell the set or to use himself , he replies "use myself" I PM him with my phone number and a link to the add to show I had them, and ask him to SMS me for a chat....I'd call him back.. no mention of selling 1,2, 3 or 4, no mention of donating him 2 wheels to complete his set, just asking for a chat and showing that i had the rims he wanted.

crickets....

more crickets.....

Even more crickets.....

2 days later I do a public post asking if he got my message, he immediately posts yes - but I don't want 4 --- WTF !!!

This pisses me off, and it may seem totally unreasonable and make me seem like an absolute &^*&$ but ... why just ignore ( is this called "ghosting ?? now) my message and leave me hang until I post AGAIN. ??

Really annoying.

so If anyone here knows of anyone running ANY of the below rims who would like a 4th and 5th or a 3rd, fourth and fifth rim, contact me ASAP. I also have spare PUG nuts.

cheviot 13"

performance 14"

Pug 14"

Pug Alloy Series 1 15"

Pug Steel 15"

Gannon

Re: rant, Alloy rims for free - how many rims to make a "lifetime" set of rims

Post by Gannon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 am

I apologise I didnt get back to you, I was out of phone reception for part of the weekend.

You had said you had 4, I didnt see the point in buying a set of 4 or breaking them up.

Return to “Subaru Chat”