Advice needed

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
AusTas75

Advice needed

Post by AusTas75 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

A bit of history to how got to where I am. I owned an MY series and ended up several years ago doing up an old L-series 2" Strut and 2" body lift, unfortunately, the car was stolen and torched and silly me did not have it insured.

So I got a 1998 Subaru Outback that has cost me thousands and goes through petrol like 3.0 litre car. And now it needs a new cat converter, rotors and the list goes on.

So I am at the stage were I can either buy another Outback and use my current car as a parts car or I could purchase a Forester 1998 - 2004 or I can spend the money and buy a good L series put a 2" lift I think it is still legal to do that, either rejet the Hitachi carby or just put a weber on it Only reason for the bigger carby is for going up some of the hills down this way.

My Budget is $3000 - $4000

I just want to get any advice on the forester vs L series or a manual outback I hate the outback.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated

AndrewT

Re: Advice needed

Post by AndrewT » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 am

With that budget you can get a decent SG Forester (2003 to 2007) and have enough leftover for a brand-new off-the-shelf lift kit for it.

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:46 pm

AndrewT wrote:With that budget you can get a decent SG Forester (2003 to 2007) and have enough leftover for a brand-new off-the-shelf lift kit for it.
Yeah I am leaning that way myself just wondering how the forester goes offroad. The old L series I had was very capable for what it was.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 pm

The foresters are very capable off-road. Definitely go the ej25 - although at that era that AndyT mentioned I think you can only get the 2.5L.

Upgrade the low range, throw in a lift kit and she'll be apples ;)

Cheers

Bennie

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Well if benny says go for the forester I'm sold :lol:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:00 am

The L is good and I love mine, no doubt about it. There's zero support for this model these days so it's all DIY or know someone who can.

And just coming off a trip being the only L series amongst a pile of foresters I know they're capable - and there's plenty of different ways to set one up for off roading.

To make an L worth while you need to have an EJ minimum IMO. Add in a foz box to match the diff ratio to tyre size and you start heading in the right direction for a really capable and daily driver L series. You'll want better front seats, add in remote central locking, decent stez etc and if this isn't all DIY you should just get a Foz...

I'd love to see more L's being revived but the sad reality is that this just isn't happening.

I did find myself admiring the SH, but framed windows is not my thing so the SG would be the pick for me. Maybe even the XT with a dua range conversion would be sweet.

Cheers

Bennie

L-Rex

Post by L-Rex » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm

For my money, you can't go past the L if you are into modifying stuff. It helps to have space to keep at least 1 spare car, as parts for these are starting to get a bit hard to get (I have 1 complete spare car, plus all the parts from a stripped wagon inside it, plus a garage full of stuff :lol: ). As Bennie has mentioned, a good EJ conversion (motor and box) will turn the L into a very capable, retro-cool tourer. The options for lift kits and bling are limited only by your imagination and wallet.

If you are not inclined to tinker, then the Forrester is the option.
L-Rex

1992 L-Series Wagon, which used to be EA82 auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:03 pm

L-Rex wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm
If you are not inclined to tinker, then the Forrester is the option.
If you go a Foz the SG or if you can afford one, the SG are good units. The SF (first Foz) is decent but the styling isn’t to everyone’s liking. But they’re still capable.

Cheers

Bennie

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 pm

I ended up buying a 1999 SF Limited the engine is in really good condition for age it has had full-service life and has done 250k km
The engine does not use oil so crossing my fingers everything is ok.

Only thing I do not like is the size it is a very compact SUV compared to the outback. So I installed a cheap roof basket and roof racks.

I was looking for an SG Model but the prices in Tassie were nearly twice as the ones in Melbourne. Considered flying to the mainland to get one but the costs were to much.

So SF it is :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Nice one. Shame about the “mainland” prices compared to the northern island with the SGs. Did you even look at the SH?

So first mod is to lift it?

If you’re after more grunt drop the EJ22 long block in and off you go ;) I know two SFs (both happen to be grey/silver) that have the EJ22 conversion and they love it. One of them is Nachaluva, the other and more recent convert is 1WD Foz.

It’s a pretty simple swap too.

Looking forward to pics/build thread ;)

Cheers

Bennie

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm

No I never even thought to look at the SH :oops:

Putting a EJ22 in it would be nice.

First mod will be a lift 2" and some good sized tyres.

I took it offroad to see how it would go and it was bottoming out so I will only do beach work until I get the lift counting down the days to tax time lol.

I have been told by one guy that I need to disconnect the traction control or something first? before going on the beach ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I don’t know about traction control being on the SF... but it’s worth pulling your ABS fuse before hitting the sand and replacing it before getting back on the black top again.

I’m sure if I’ve got it wrong someone will chime in.

Cheers

Bennie

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:45 pm

On the SH forester pulling the ABS fuse (i.e. blowing the glow plug (combined with ABS) fuse on a diesel- go figure that wiring intelligence) disables basically all the ABS, TCS, VDC, etc. systems. This is because (in my opinion) they are all dependent on the ABS wheel sensors to detect wheel speeds. Hence pulling the ABS fuse should disable the traction control because the ECU cannot determine wheel differential speeds, i.e. slip. At least so goes my theory!

Replacing the ABS fuse and driving the vehicle should reset the systems after a short distance as the ECU/ABS/etc. computers run their checks- assuming no damage has been done in the meantime.

To get my ABS/TCS/VDC working again I had to disconnect my faulty glow plugs and then replace the fuse.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm

{ On the SH forester pulling the ABS fuse (i.e. blowing the glow plug (combined with ABS) fuse on a diesel- go figure that wiring intelligence) disables basically all the ABS, TCS, VDC, etc. systems. This is because (in my opinion) they are all dependent on the ABS wheel sensors to detect wheel speeds. Hence pulling the ABS fuse should disable the traction control because the ECU cannot determine wheel differential speeds, i.e. slip. At least so goes my theory!

Replacing the ABS fuse and driving the vehicle should reset the systems after a short distance as the ECU/ABS/etc. computers run their checks- assuming no damage has been done in the meantime.

To get my ABS/TCS/VDC working again I had to disconnect my faulty glow plugs and then replace the fuse.}

That sounds like a real pain in the ass to do in the SH, I will try pulling the ABS fuse on the beach and see how she goes. :lol:

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:57 am

AusTas75 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 pm
I ended up buying a 1999 SF Limited the engine is in really good condition for age it has had full-service life and has done 250k km
The engine does not use oil so crossing my fingers everything is ok.

Only thing I do not like is the size it is a very compact SUV compared to the outback. So I installed a cheap roof basket and roof racks.

I was looking for an SG Model but the prices in Tassie were nearly twice as the ones in Melbourne. Considered flying to the mainland to get one but the costs were to much.

So SF it is :p
Where abouts in Tas are you?

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Hobart / Rokeby how about yourself 8)

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Ah, I’m up the opposite end.

El_Freddo