Coming to terms...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Silverbullet

Coming to terms...

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 pm

After a long while thinking it over, I've decided it's time I bought a different car to use as my daily (don't worry still Subaru! :o ) Something more modern, comfortable, faster etc etc. So I am excited for that, I've never actually owned a "nice" car to date. Something I wouldn't be embarrassed to pick up a hot date in :mrgreen:

But a logistical issue arises which I will have to make an effort to come to terms with. After almost 5 years of ownership, due to not having enough room for unlimited cars I will have to get rid of the Brumby :cry: I have loved it to bits for its usefulness and and uniqueness, being part of that little club of enthusiasts (waving to fellow owners in traffic) owning an icon, forever the conversation starter with random strangers. I love the Brum but it has recurring issues I am getting tired of dealing with every 6 months. The old girl is getting tired, engine is burning oil, the drivers seat gives me back ache, and rust that started as only surface when I got it is now turning into holes :( Alas it has to find a new home!

Of course the wagon resto is (still :( ) ongoing and I will never get rid of that, and one day in the future when I have a place to call my own with a big driveway I will own a Brumby again. For now, I surely am going to miss the little ute. I will offer it for sale soon, first to any members on here who might be interested then to the wider world.

Time for me to sit in an armchair by a window contemplating life without a Brumby :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Silverbullet wrote:After a long while thinking it over, I've decided it's time I bought a different car to use as my daily (don't worry still Subaru! :o ) Something more modern, comfortable, faster etc etc. So I am excited for that, I've never actually owned a "nice" car to date. Something I wouldn't be embarrassed to pick up a hot date in :mrgreen:
What, got a hot date?!! :p

But seriously, bad luck about that and I know the feeling myself. There's a particular car I was sad to get rid of, but it really needed to go or have a four figure sum sunk into it.

However I'm sure you'll find a lot to tinker with with something else like a Liberty, Outback, Forester, etc.

Word of advice: steer clear of early Oz Subaru diesels, or you'll wish you were back in the Brumby. Even more so 'cos people seldom get rid of 'em unless they're trouble and they seemingly usually are. If you really must, have a look at 2012 (mid-yr update) or newer, the newer the better as I think most issues had been solved.

If I don't see you here, hope to see you on another Subaru forum. Good luck with whatever you choose! :-D
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:25 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:What, got a hot date?!! :p
Nope :rolleyes:

It will be fun to tinker and mod a completely different generation of vehicle. It will be a different world compared to carbies, timing, etc :)

Never fear, I'm staying away from diesels in general (for reasons other than reliability, the pollution they make is unacceptable in my book)

Pics of the new ride to come, I will be collecting it next week.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Here it is, the new (for me) 2005 Liberty :) 2.5L n/a w/manual gearbox. The budget wouldn't stretch for the turbo/GT version :rolleyes: But this one certainly still goes well enough. 150k km's on the clock and a few little mods from the previous owner, nothing drastic. Pretty good nick all round. I've pretty much wanted one of these since they came out, best looking Liberty they made IMHO.

Also, plans are afoot for how we may be able to keep the ute as well :mrgreen:
Attachments
2555250.jpg
2555250.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Looks good, hope its a great car for you.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Hey SB, sorry to hear about your tough decision :(

Club rego for the brumby?? :lol:

Nice looking Gen4 you've got there. I'm a sucker for the Gen3 since my sister got that RX wagon ;)

If you're after mod ideas, and not meaning to send you to another forum, but check out subyclub.com - there's plenty of info about these over there. Just don't go catching the JDM bug otherwise you'll probably wish you were still playing with your brumby as it would save you money :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”