2006 Subaru Forester Headlamp & Electrics

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Baliblue

2006 Subaru Forester Headlamp & Electrics

Post by Baliblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 am

Any advice please for an expensive dilemma. I lost Passenger-side headlamp. Mechanic suggests it is Ballast (LB Type) SU-84965SA011 ($494.80 + GST). Water was found on recessed top of Ballast & mechanic thinks this has blown Ballast. But if I replace this, the question is where has the moisture come from? Perhaps via the Headlamp assembly? So replace the Ballast and next heavy rain have it blow again? So do I replace both Ballast and Headlamp Assembly SU-84001SA652 ($1333.89 + GST). These costs are not including labour and fitting. Becoming a very expensive exercise. Any thoughts on replacing one or both of these? Any thoughts on wrecker parts being less expensive but I am concerned about reliability. Help Please.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm

I'd be looking at second hand to keep costs down. But if you're a stickler for a guarantee that the issue won't be back anytime soon genuine parts are probably the way to go.

Has the unit been tested to ensure it's the issue?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Baliblue

Post by Baliblue » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks Bennie for your thoughts. I will check whether the mechanic had the Ballast tested. On another site I was advised to check the seals around the Ballast and Headlamp assembly. I know there is a rubber seal around the Ballast but am not sure re the Headlamp Assembly, but will check. Never had the problem before in more than 10 years owning the car so genuine parts might be the go, especially if it is only a seal. Then again, I am thinking of trading up to a newer vehicle within 2 years so Second hand might last the distance. Thanks again for your thoughts.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:55 am

$200 from a wrecker should be a fair price for the headlight w/ballast. My guess is it'll be a stupid modern design where you have to pull the front bumper off to access the headlight, but that isn't a difficult job by any means.

I'd suggest contact any of the dozen or more eBay sellers who flout the rules and ask you to contact them via phone for a price, and get quotes from 1/2 a dozen of them. Don't be worried about getting it shipped from interstate as shipping on a headlight will be cheap ($15 or so). Make sure it is guaranteed working.

You can source the ballast itself brand new from rockauto.com for $34 USD + shipping. Dorman 601166.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Baliblue

Post by Baliblue » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Thank you dfoyl for your comments. You are sure correct about the "stupid modern design" & having to pull half the car apart for a simple replacement.
I will follow up your suggestions for the parts. Thanks again.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Assuming this is still in stock, I could ship to you for cost ($58) + shipping.

http://jollysupullit.com.au/eziparts/Di ... esc=Subaru 02-08
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Baliblue

Post by Baliblue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks dfoyl, but just following up on some of my other leads at the moment.

Return to “Subaru Chat”