Gearbox short Driveshaft Stub

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Gearbox short Driveshaft Stub

Post by Gazza01 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:46 pm

The short drive shaft stub that comes out of the side of the gearbox to connect with the CV Drive shaft is very loose and I get a awful rattle/vibration sound under acceleration when not under aceleration all is ok. I have just replaced driveshaft and all wheel bearings but it is still there and the only thing left is the loose drive shaft Stub.Can anyone tell me if there is a bearing that the stub come out of and if so how hard is to replace.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:01 pm

It cod be the bearing for the diff. Is there a retainer plate held by a bolt on the side if the gearbox near the diff stub axle?

If not your bearing tension is probably loose and needs adjusting. This is tricky as it so messes with your diff settings. Worst case scenario the diff bearing is shot. I don't know if you'll be able to swap the bearing without splitting the gearbox as the bearing is a press fit. I fitted mine by heating in the oven at 200*C for 20 mins, then it dropped straight on no worries. I had the box split when I did this (had other things to work on while it was split).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 am

There is a circular retainer plate round the Stub on the Brumby gearbox with a small holder plate with a bolt to prevent the circular retainer plater from screwing out. Searched Youtube but found virtually nothing on this subject except that the circular retainer plate will screw out however u must mark the plates position and count number of turns made removing plate so it can be returned in same position. It only showed replacement of the rubber seal no mentioned of the bearing. I got an old gearbox so I will go remove the circular plate to have a look, but I fear u may be right its gearbox pull down job to replace the bearing. Just check ebay re the front pinion bearing replacement for Subaru Brat and it say both Front and Real Pinion bearing are the same Tinkem number 32305 about $65us and NSK bearing HR30207J as marked on the bearing $17 and Seal AH151F $7.60 from BSC

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm

You'll need the diff bearings, not the pinion bearing - if you want to do the pinion bearing you'll need a press to get the job done.

And you will have to split the box. That's a good time to replace all seals and give the internals a clean out.

Or just do an L series 5spd box swap ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Yes got take that Circular diff ajustment plate off and see what Im up against. I can see that the outer seal is gone guess if outer bearing is gone so will the inner diff bearing. Not going waste time pulling it down have 3 spare boxes 2 are nice and tight. Just have a bit of an experiment might do a bogie job on the one in the veh. Replace outer bearing and the seal and hope it last for a while.

Return to “Subaru Chat”