Removing Front Struts from Brumby.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Removing Front Struts from Brumby.

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:59 am

I going to remove the front Struts from young fellows Brumby (Has 2" Lift Kit). I sort of toyed round with removing one of them (Has king Springs and to be replaced with standard springs and new Strut/Shockers). After loosing all the bolts I found that I would not be able to remove the old Strut unless I removed possibly the CV Shaft or released the steering tie rods . Any one out there with any experience there.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Break the taper on the the steering tie rod end, remove the bolt that clamps the strut end in the steering knuckle and put a big flat screwdriver or something in the slot to wedge it apart. Put a crow bar or similar under the knuckle resting on the control arm and force the control arm down, this should give you enough room to pop the strut out of the knuckle.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:57 am

Great thanks. Those bloody king springs are heavy sht for a brumby. Can't see the point. Going back to standard coils.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:07 am

Depends on what you do with the use of the brumby - load it right up for a long trip etc or run with the heavier EJ engine...

Also it could be a good idea to start a build thread to ask all your questions in - once members subscribe they'll get an email alert to say there's been a reply on the thread (if they have this setup).

This can save you from checking the forum for thread up dates - but won't help if new threads are started without checking the forum.

Plus having your own build thread with pics etc is always a good way to see your progress over time in one place ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JP147

Post by JP147 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I remember removing struts by just removing the castor rods and pushing the drive shaft some of the way out. (if you have a sway bar that needs to come off too). If you brakes lines are still routed through the struts then they will need to be disconnected too.

Return to “Subaru Chat”