We've come a long way

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Silverbullet

We've come a long way

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:44 pm

When I think back on how long my wagon project has been going, feeling like it will never be finished, it's taking so long etc etc it's easy to forget where I started. FB reminded me of a post I did 5 years ago with a pic, really reminded me where I started. Would have been probably the first year I joined this forum? 2 different PC upgrades since then means I can't easily find my old photos from back then. Well anyway, I'll let the photos speak for themselves :rolleyes:

5 years ago

Today
Same old pisser bottle though :mrgreen:

A huge thanks has to go to this forum and everyone who has contributed to it. All the people who have helped me over the years. If this forum weren't here, this wagon probably would have been sent to the scrappy long ago.

Cheers! :cool:
Attachments
20160710_140625 (Medium).jpg
20160710_140625 (Medium).jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
262145_1662423060827_6445695_n.jpg
262145_1662423060827_6445695_n.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Hehehe, I saw the washer bottle too. Pretty funny!

Got any plans for it? Sometimes water and sand with a good shake can clean up the gunk from the inside - then bleach it? (Maybe!).

It's good to reflect too. You've got a long way to go but you've already come so far, kudos to you!

And all the best for the rest of the build, I'll be reading your updates for sure!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Before & After

[font=&quot]This is how my washer bottle came out, after 5-10 minutes of cleaning. I'm very pleased with the results, and that's another item refurbished rather than thrown away for a new one![/font]

[font=&quot]Method[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Drop 4 Steradent tablets into the bottle.

[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Add about 1/2 litre of hot, not boiling water (this leaves plenty of room in the bottle for foam).

[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Shake around for several minutes to dissolve the tablets and coat the inside of the washer bottle in a thick, minty foam. The combination of the heat and the [font=&quot]S[/font]teradent softens up the varnish-like layer of grime.

[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Add pea-sized gravel (I used a handful).

[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Agitate the mixture, taking care not to be too rough and risk damaging the bottle.

[/font]
  • [font=&quot]After a minute or two you should see a reduction in the coating on the walls of the bottle. If any of the gunk is still visible, rotate the bottle to allow the gravel to sit on that particular area, and then carefully shakeback and forth to clean.

[/font]
Thanks goes to Sc00bysnack from the Club GTI Forum for the above DIY fix.
Peter

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Another trick to use is small steel ball bearings - A small hand full + some cleaning stuff, give it a bit of rattle for couple of miutes to break down the scum & presto - clean insides ... ��
Cheerz, Bantum ...

Return to “Subaru Chat”