We're to get lift kit installed

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Ben james

We're to get lift kit installed

Post by Ben james » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi guys sorry for the new thread. I'm going to order
Subframe spacers for my subaru L series.
From ADF. To go along with the strut spacers.
My question is were I'm Melbourne could I get them installed. The front strut spacers and subframe spacers.
Iv been told it's not to hard to do but I'd rather get sum one who knows what there doing to do it. So is there a shopp or even a back yard mechanic in Melbourn that is
Relatively cheap that could install the kit for me. I live in wonthaggi Vic. But all so go to rowville alot to. So any were close to Melbourne would be good. Cheers guys and again sorry for the new thread.

Gazza01

Lift Kit Probs.

Post by Gazza01 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:05 am

I am forever replacing either the drive shafts of the Rubber Boots on the front drive shafts on the young fellows Subaru Brumby ever since he installed a 2 inch lift kit. Rang Brisbane's old Subaru Dealer John French, and he informed that once u install a lift kit the boots on the front drive shafts will continually split as the rubbers turn at an off set angle and eventually crack and open up. Where can u get boots that dont split for the lift kit. Nobody seems to know. Would appear its and on going problem.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

If the crossmember lift is the same height as the strut lift than the CV angles will not change and there's no reason the boots would wear or treat any different.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 pm

You could try (I think it's) Subabits in Clayton. They've got a pretty good reputation from what I've heard. Dunno their contacts or current reputation, or if they'll even do this work for you. No harm in asking though.

Will you be doing a rear lift as well? Only asking as you seem to have only mentioned the front struts and subframe.

Also consider that you *might* need a longer speedo cable depending on the size of your lift kit. For a three inch I needed a longer speedo cable only, clutch etc were fine.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I did a 2" lift both strut spacers and body spacers. It took me about 3 hours to do the rear and a day and a half to do the front, This was by myself with no one to help me. If you could get a mate to help you it would be done in a day. It is not that hard to do by yourself would save you alot of money to do it by yourself. I was a bit intimidated at first to do it myself at first. If you decide to do it your self and get stuck sned my a email and I will talk you through it

Gazza01

Busted Boots.

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:57 am

Phizinza wrote:If the crossmember lift is the same height as the strut lift than the CV angles will not change and there's no reason the boots would wear or treat any different.
I was told by Subaru bloke that lift kit will always cause busted CV boots. Well I now know that lifting the vehicle with the blocks alone will not cause the boots to bust, but I have now been informed that the young bloke has had King Springs fitted lifting the vehicle higher again in the front which I am told adds extra height to the front suspension and this is what causes the boots to bust not the lift blocks. Anyone had this problem ie lift blocks plus front king springs.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Phizinza wrote:If the crossmember lift is the same height as the strut lift than the CV angles will not change and there's no reason the boots would wear or treat any different.
Yes he has the lift blocks on the top of his struts which are the same size as the lift blocks on his crossmember, but he has also replaced his standard Brumby springs with kings springs wonder how much more lift the King springs would add to the standard lift blocks on top of his struts and crossmember thus adding more angle to the CV shafts and stress on Boots.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:44 pm

The Kings would only add height (?1"?) if they're lift specific springs, they shouldn't add any height if they're oem replacements ...I'd assume!

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for that I have to check see what kind/brand etc King springs that were fitted vehicle just goes through CV boots big time. Also be interesting to know if most Brumbys that have been lifted have gone for King Springs.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:52 pm

The Brumbys' inner CV angle from stock I think are right at the limits of what the boot can cope with. I had boots split constantly just from having the front struts wound up half way on the stock adjusters. Add any extra height/angle on the axles and they will split quicker, on top of that if you get cheap shafts or cheap boots they go even quicker again.

Have to keep that angle as flat as possible...or get longer shafts but that's no easy swap :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 pm

I am no expert but the kings springs will add 1" lift plus 2" strut spacers will make 3" but if you do 2" body lift spacers your cv's will only be 1" from stock angle. Elfredo is the best bloke for info on this.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for the confidence in my opinion AusTas, but in this case I've not had a lifted brumby to be able to compare.

Toonga could help out. Hopefully he'll chime in soon enough.

If you've got 2 inch blocks on strut and body subframes with raised king springs you'll be asking for trouble in cv angles I'd suspect.

Also talking to RSR555 (yes he still exists!) tonight he was telling me about a set of cheap shafts he put in his liberty/outback. They shagged out quick. Upon further inspection and comparison to the old units they were ~15mm shorter!

Also if the doj inner joint is happy, longer shafts are only going to push the shaft further towards the rear of the cv cup. Too long and you'll have binding/interference with the rear of the cup.

To reduce this type of angle you're looking at extending track width which is one of the reasons why the EJ series vehicles can get away with strut lift only ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:05 pm

What brand of CV boot are you using, the cheaper the boot the easier they self destruct.

showthread.php?t=13388

try a set of these, the boots are aftermarket but good quality

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Subaru-B ... SwstxVAony

Or if they are still made Kelpro cv boots

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:56 am

Yes I measured height of the Front King Springs on young blokes lifted brumby (Which is fitted with standard Lift Blocks also) from edge of bottom base plate to edge of top base plate is 7" -78mm. Then I did the identical check on my standard non lifted Brumby on the front coil springs and the measurement of Coil spring is 6" - 52mm so I guess I have at least an inch to deal with on the lifted Brumby..

Return to “Subaru Chat”