Flashing cruise control light SH Forester

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Flashing cruise control light SH Forester

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 pm

So driving the wife's 2008 SH Forester today and as were out driving suddenly the engine warning light comes on and at the same time the dynamic stability control/ traction control light comes on, then finally when we start heading for home cruise control disengages and the green cruise light starts flashing.

I read someone's theory about an oil change and resetting ECU figured why not nothing wrong with fresh oil so did one and left battery disconnected for about 30 mins hooked it all back up and sure enough problem still persists. Anyone got any ideas as to what the heck it might be?
2001 Subaru Forester Limited Duel Range stock as a rock with 350 000 kms

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:43 am

might just be a failed or failing brake light bulb causing all that crap

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:07 am

Oil change? is your model a diesel?

The oil change problem only exists in the turbo diesel models, and is due to an error caused by the failure to reset the oil dilution ratio.

If it is diesel https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/2011/01 ... pf-models/

I would be looking at your ABS sensors and cleaning the surfaces of them. As well as Jonno said check for faulty brake globes or damaged earths in the brake light circuits.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:11 pm

TOONGA wrote:As well as Jonno said check for faulty brake globes or damaged earths in the brake light circuits.

TOONGA
Especially if you're towing. Bad trailer lights/wiring are known to trip these types of issues, happened to an acquaintance of mine.

If you clear the problem (e.g. unhitch the trailer) and go driving (complete a 'driving cycle' if Subaru has them, may need to get to temp and maintain 80+km/h for a while, etc.) for a while it may clear itself.

Otherwise, OBDII dongle + Android device + Torque (free version may suffice otherwise Pro) can read OBDII codes and clear them (not special Subaru ones though).

WARNING: On a SH Forester Diesel do NOT start then engine with the OBDII dongle plugged in AND Torque running. Torque can connect at the wrong speed if CANBus is used- you'll really know what warning lights are AND THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (if you have it) MAY BE DISABLED (and more besides)- I speak from experience. Forester diesel mind you, don't think the petrols had electric power steering. Only start Torque after you start the engine. The trap is starting Torque after you start the engine, then stopping briefly leaving it all hooked up and (say) grabbing a coffee and starting the engine again. Warning lights can be reset in this case through Torque, but it can take several clears and key cycles (and don't leave Torque running in between key cycles...)
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:41 am

Check your abs sensors
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Scanner

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:00 am

so Scanner said its unsatisfactory catalytic emissions. cleared codes and problem gone (temporarilly I suppose). car is a 2.5L N/a Petrol.
2001 Subaru Forester Limited Duel Range stock as a rock with 350 000 kms

Return to “Subaru Chat”