Fuel Additives for older Subies?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
77Soob

Fuel Additives for older Subies?

Post by 77Soob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey guys, I've recently acquired an early '77 wagon with a 1600 EA71 motor with single carby.

Been searching on the forum but couldn't see anything about what fuel / additives are best for older Subies- anyone got recommendations?

- Is 95 or 98 octane better?
- Is a lead substitute required? e.g. Valvemaster, Nulon, Flashlube- which is best?

Since this model isn't listed on the "official" list of pre-1990 vehicles that don't need lead substitute, it would appear that it is required but I'd rather see what real people think :-)

http://www.aip.com.au/health/lead_guide.htm

I'm also thinking of trying a fuel system cleaner- I've noticed the engine spluttering and loosing power sometimes so maybe the carby needs cleaning out. An easy first step would be a fuel additive like Nulon Total Fuel System Cleaner which has good reviews, but not sure if it would be suitable for this type of motor. Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_T ... em_Cleaner

Cheers :)
1977 Subaru 1600 DL Wagon, 2006 Forrester XT

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:33 pm

You don't need lead substitute because you have aluminium heads. Engines with iron heads need it.

If the car has been sitting a long time, it would be a good idea to drain the old fuel from the tank. Also fit a new fuel filter, check for deposits in the float bowl, make sure jets aren't blocked, check for vacuum leaks and do a basic tune on the carb.

I have never used fuel system cleaner, someone else here might know more about it though.

Both 95 and 98 should be fine if everything is set up right and running properly.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:51 pm

put half a bottle of metho in the tank and fill it with 91 ron ULP then drive it until it needs filling again then decide if you want to use 95 ron or above. as well change the fuel filters after you do this see if that solves the problem.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

77Soob

Post by 77Soob » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:09 am

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! I had read that VWs didn't need the lead substitute either, good to hear that Subies don't as well :-)
1977 Subaru 1600 DL Wagon, 2006 Forrester XT

Return to “Subaru Chat”