Why older Subarus

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
mrwalker500

Why older Subarus

Post by mrwalker500 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Why do people like older Subarus?
Me, I like the frameless windows, the burble, the genuine off-road/ difficult road ability and the individual and functional, albeit sometimes quirky, styling.
What do you like?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:51 pm

The (ever increasing) unique-ness :)

Having had an MY and L in the family since new, brought up in them, learned to drive in them, it was only natural really.

I also like how complete strangers walk up to you and say something like "Wow I used to have one of those! Wish I never sold it!" or some such. Getting thumbs up and waves from other Brumby or wagon drivers. Sort of reminds me of when Subarus were quite a niche car and it felt like everyone who owned one knew each other :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 am

Like ?? It was all I could afford ! Moved into a new house, current car on last legs and I needed something to cart landscaping materials in, rubbish out , no kids at the time so the missus had to put up with it. Now just doing small things to it to repay it for its faithful past service and bring it back to scratch.
member since 10january2014 #6191

JP147

Post by JP147 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 am

Good off-road, reliable, easy to maintain, extremely cheap to maintain, heaps of room in the back with the seats folded down, nice to drive, good on fuel, Japanese, etc.

I had wanted one since I was a kid, it just seemed to be a car with everything I would need and I think they look great.

Plus, they fit in with my personal rule that any car I buy must be at least 30.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Because they are there :)

years ago a mate of mine had an MY wagon and he got it into places that "real?" 4WD's dared not to go.

I decided to get a wagon and 6 wagons a brumby and a vortex I've never looked back :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:47 am

and just four responses so far - big contributorship going on here :(
good on fuel ? Compared to what ? When ? at idle maybe? :)

Six cylinders of twenty years ago (Falcodores etc) do similar fuel figures (other than at idle)
Five year old auto Ford with AC doing mid 7 litres per hundred on the highway. If I was careful I could get mid 8's out of lighter , smaller Brumby !!

What I do like is being able to get new parts exJapan if needed, and still available, after 30 years of manufacture date. There are some places the little Brumby can go that anything bigger or wider with dual range simply would not fit - between tree trunks, under tree branches or even turn around in space available like only yesterday :)

David D

Post by David D » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:58 am

I'm originally from the UK and I can remember the Brumby and other Subaru models but I can't recall seeing a lot of them around. I remember I guy on my street had one when I was fairly young but I have no idea what it was. At the time they were a pretty unusual car.
When I moved to Australia I saw more Brumbies (is that the correct plural?) in a month than I could remember seeing in a lifetime and thought it might be a realistic option to get one.
I ended up with mine more by circumstance than actually looking for one - my Camry was dying and a friend of my wife was selling an unregistered Brumby. To me it was a no-brainer!
I still like the idea of the older Subarus being a little different and unusual and I like the robust and simple mechanicals - although my limited mechanical abilities are still stretched most of the time!

David D

mattw

Post by mattw » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 am

[quote="steptoe"]and just four responses so far - big contributorship going on here :(

Such a philosophical question might need some time to respond. I'm struggling to put it into words. 😊

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:53 am

need need and more need
Two Kelpie dogs did not fit well into a sedan, 10 acres of slippery paddocks to spray, fences to maintain so a Brumby was the natural choice.

Being in the Barossa, the Brumby was narrow enough to fit between the rows of vines so they were very popular with the wine industry until quad bikes came along.

In between have had a VY Holden SS ute (green), another Calias, a Astra Diesel (Astra oil burner is not to be under rated) and a Holden Rodeo 4wd ute. On my fourth Brumby now and maybe number 5 some time soon if this one does not smarten up its behavior :D

I looked at a Proton Jumbuck and wondered why they left out the drive to the rear wheels, so bought another Brumby to keep us going until I get the courage to convert a forester or Subaru come to their senses (maybe never).

Peter.

legacytt

Old Subarus

Post by legacytt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Been into them since my Dad bought a brand new 1980 MY, 1600 single range, round headlights. Upgraded to 1800 1982 model later on. My first one was an ugly duck 1978, bought in 1986, learnt lots from that as needed engine rebuild, replacement gearbox etc. Still enjoying the older ones. About to get my son into his first car, a 1984 Brumby with original 110 000 K, rough body though.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 pm

I lived in Ireland and France for a while, never saw a brumby. There are a lot of Subaru grey imports in Ireland, typically the fast ones -I had a tuned B4 RSK when I was there, sweet car that I sold for nothing :-( . The French highway patrol had Wrx's, very few elsewhere because of the tax system. I have many fond memories of climbing up roads on the sides of mountains in MY's and L-series in Oz and NZ. They can go nearly anywhere, they have surely been pushed and survived more than they were designed for.
It took Subaru 40years to make a fuel efficient car only because their European distributors asked them too. Or maybe they weren't using the right emission control software?
Unusual, JDM, off-road and on road ability, well priced and now fuel efficient. What is not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Reasonable offroad capability, all I need anyhow. Very easy to work on (Brumby). Unique styling (Brumby). Surprises many people. I have a lot of knowledge that would be wasted by going to another brand or newer model.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 am

and they didn't cheat to pass their emissions test - even if the engine is a 'copy' of Vee Dubs boxer :D

mattw

Post by mattw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 pm

"Copy of a vee dub"..... HERASY!
😂
I was introduced to Subies as a lad from a school friends Dad. After early days in MYs, Brumbies, the L wagon and the current Outback family wagon, the new Brumby is a bit of a return to an old love. And like Phiz, the unique style, rugged simplicity and years of hard earnt experience means I'm a rusted on Suby loyalist.

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:37 pm

pedroj wrote:Being in the Barossa, the Brumby was narrow enough to fit between the rows of vines so they were very popular with the wine industry until quad bikes came along.

And with the windows down the doors open under and between the vines. Ultimate vineyard vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:12 pm

I wanted an MY Touring wagon from when they first came out.
Priced a new one at about $14K and though this was a bit expensive (was in 1982) so bought a brand new Mitsubishi L200 4x4 Ute at $12,300 with mags. It got stolen and stripped 5 months later.
When our MY Touring wagon came up for sale locally in 1998 I already had an 88 L series so the MY was an obvious choice.
We still have it today.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 pm

I "unknowingly" grew up with a Subaru at my neighnour's place - we used to flog a fugly Brumby around my mate's place and his dad had a wagon of the same era as their paddock bomb.

Then later another mate had an L series and I was looking for a replacement vehicle. I spent some time in Tassie with him and his L and I'd made my mind up.

Versitility is why I originally went for an L series (or MY wagon, wasn't fussy back then). I found mine for cheap and have had it over ten years now. Totally hooked, lightly modified now and still love it!

I just need to offroad it more often :twisted:

Things I like - AWD, frameless windows, huge boot space (more than a gen I or II lib!), the relative ease of parts and the knowledge around for them and suitable mods for different needs ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:49 pm

While I currently have the MY wagon I have also had two L series in the past. An 88 and a 92 model.
I had the 92 model at the same time as the MY but with my parents passing away a couple of years ago, I inherited a mint, low kays Suzuki Grand Vitara so it was either the L or the GV. Logic won as the GV had 62 thousand ks and the L had something like 320 thousand and was a candidate for emerging rust in some places. Since the MY wasn't going anywhere the L was sold.
I totally agree the uniqueness of the older Subies is a major attraction as well as them going places "normal" 4x4's cant meaning frustration with bigger vehicle owners occurs which is fun for the Subie owner.
My only issue is with the MY's especially,
parts locally can become an issue whereas L series are still reasonably common. If I didn't have the MY I would seriously look at another L series for this reason.

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Simply the GL badge. what other vehicle provides intergalactic lightspeed & time travel?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 pm

+1 - GL all the way ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Return to “Subaru Chat”