G'day from Western Victoria

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
mattw

Post by mattw » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:56 am

How is it that I haven't seen this thread before now. Dishing out nuggets of wisdom at every post.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:13 am

If you could get them in an 8" width you'd be ok, but 9" on a +25 offset is going to stick out at least 12mm from the guards, which means you will need to run fender flares to be legal. I'd also be concerned with overall OD of the tyre unless you're planning on running 35 profile tyres - and even that with a 9" wide rim might be tight as you'll be around a 245 (235 minimum, 265 maximum). You could go to a 40 profile but your speedo won't be accurate (out about 5% at a rough guess). Cheap wheels, expensive tyres...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

mrwalker500

G'day from Western Victoria

Post by mrwalker500 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 pm

They look good though and certainly better looking than 13" Sunraysias, but they would probably break if they hit a big bump. As you said previously dfoyl it is hard to find correct wheels with the correct offset. Especially good looking well made ones. If you got a fender roller these might squeeze in.

The brumby wheel wells are pretty big. It would be interesting to see what they look like and if there are rubbing issues, 8" would be better, but harder to find with correct offset. I think these ones are aimed at the AE86 crowd who want to push the wheel possibilities.
I hope to get a low/ big wheel look on the brumby when done, but the right 16s will probably fit the bill, I'd prefer 17s though if possible. The goal is better handling and no issues rather than tyres cut up by rubbing.
For the speedo, this mod is a possible solution; http://offroadingsubarus.com/vss-vehicl ... onversion/ Thanks Phininza - and put in Jaycar kit like the MCM video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am

The only reason I would see 17s as being suitable would be if you wanted to run the larger Brembo or Liberty B4 (316mm) front brakes. Otherwise it's just going to made the ride harder or the engine work harder to rotate a bigger diameter. The original factory 13's were only 5.5" wide, and the wider you go the more strain on the steering set up.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:23 pm

I plan on a ej20t and power steering either EJ or MY. And yes I want big brakes, I would trade better handling for a soft ride. This is not going to be a cruiser that does the supermarket shopping. How is yours handling on the tt rims?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 pm

I haven't tried with the right profile tyres on the TT rims, I gave it a run with the 205R16/50's that came with the rims and it was pretty good but have 195R16/45's to go on. The rims were a right pain to strip (the primer coat laughed at paint stripper, acetone and another nasty called MKT we use in the paint shop at work) so in the end I gave up and took them to a company called Colorex who chemically stripped them - even they said they were tougher than usual (normally 8 hours is enough, on these after 8 hours it had barely penetrated the grey primer). I got them back on Tuesday and took them to be polished (too much surface area to do by hand), so it'll be a week or two before I get them back.
If you're seriously considering big brakes I have a set of new rotors and pads from a B4 that I bought off ebay (seller had paid around $800 for a full set of Bendix pads and rotors all round, and then sold the car) - I paid about $150 to get the rear rotors and can't use the rest as they won't clear 16's (the rear pads don't suit WRX 2 pots, which I now gone with in preference to H6 rears). I'd be happy to get $100 for the front rotors + pads + rear pads, which is about a third to a quarter of their value from eBay pricing.

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:46 pm

With your offset maths. If I find 17x8" wheels with an offset of +35, I would be very close to correct offset? I would try and source some similar wheels off a friends car first to check before purchasing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 am

On a 8" wide rim you'd ideally want about +28mm offset to be flush with the fender. I have +31mm and it's just inside, which is not a bad thing. +35mm will be obviously another 4mm inside.

The easy way to see how +35mm will look is to add a piece of cardboard or wood 3.8mm thick to the outer face of the wheel - this will be your new outer wheel face with 8" wheels fitted (Brumby stock is +35mm, so you are adding 3.8mm to both sides of the wheel).

(Note stock Brumby is 5" wide, not 5.5" - my earlier post was incorrect).

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks Dfoyl, I will give that a go

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”