Curious of people's opinion

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Curious of people's opinion

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:33 pm

This may cause a fuss but I am wanting to know people's thoughts on a choosing between modifying an L series with EJ22 motor and running gear for the 4 speed auto.

Or upgrading to a forester automatic both cars will eventually be getting 2 inch lift. Which is likely to be more capable offroad?

Main reason for me tossing this up in the air is that the past 12 months most of the work I have put into this car has mostly been on the current EA82 so if I was to EJ convert the car I am still going to have to go through that all again and if I upgrade to a forry chances are I will need to do all of the things again like timing belts rocker gaskets and so on.

Clearwater99

Post by Clearwater99 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:45 am

When you say "off road" do you mean
Sand?
Gravel?
Rock Crawling?
Trails?
Beach?

All Subaru's are capable of the above to differing degree's depending on the level of modification to suit a particular purpose.

So as for a recommendation and probably not the place to put this answer I wouldn't have any of the choices you made and go for an Outback. Any model will do, just as long as it is within your budget.
Speiling mistakes .. me never !

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 am

I guess an all round package with some touring in mind

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 am

If you're not going too extreme, the Forester will be fine. It's only issue (like most late models) is the front & rear clearance angles.
You can get steel replacement bumpers for the Forrie that solve this problem however.
The Forrie is better than the Liberty because of its shorter wheelbase, which helps climbing over obstacles.

I can't remember why, but how come you want to stay with an auto in the L? Why not convert to a manual?
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

julian

Post by julian » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Regardless of the time you spend on the L series it will still end up being a 30 odd year old car. Granted you will have a modern engine and it will be a performer off road, but planning on using an L series auto would drag a lot of the conversion effort down into a sluggish 3 speed built with the latest 40 year old technology. Good manual boxes are available and as alluded to here likely a better option short of a few specific indications.
Finding a good one that is worthy of a conversion is not impossible but their reputation of being bulletproof comes partially from the fact that they don't die even when pushed to the point of snapping a timing belt- just line it up the gears and add a $150 kit and turn the key.

On the other hand the SG series Forester is now heavily represented on the second hand market and the from this series you get a 5 star ANCAP safety rating and a much more modern vehicle, with the bonus feature of a 2.5 litre under the bonnet. If you get the XT model you already have a turbocharged unit and with a 2" lift and a set of decent AT/MTs you are well on your way to a VERY capable car. There are also a lot of aftermarket parts available for this car.

The L series is also a very good car, but getting very long in the tooth now. You would spend a lot of money making it drive the way you want (assuming you don't have everything for a conversion sitting in the shed) and then you have to engineer/register it with the conversion and then approach an insurance company- if you want to do it legally.

You say:
"if I upgrade to a forry chances are I will need to do all of the things again like timing belts rocker gaskets and so on". This stuff is peanuts compared with the work you are lining up for yourself if you convert to an EJ22, and is routine stuff for any car. Putting an EJ into an L series without changing the belts and bearings would be ill advised.

Get the Forester. You will not be disappointed.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Hmm OK I guess it's a game of have fun with the l series while I save for a good forry

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:59 pm

wagonist wrote: I can't remember why, but how come you want to stay with an auto in the L? Why not convert to a manual?
Well basically I love the advantages of an automatic 4wd and while not having low range my auto seems to go just as good as my brother's manual

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Only complaint is more fuel burn

Clearwater99

Post by Clearwater99 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Outback. It is the flagship for the Subaru brand. (stands back for the flames) It's bigger, it's more luxurious, it is as I said the best they offer. They cost a bit more but you get what you pay for.
Speiling mistakes .. me never !

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Outbacks have slightly worse approach and departure angles than the Forester but I agree that they have a few more features and are nice and comfortable but that also equals more weight!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:05 pm

L series or forester they'll still go places.

L series = lots of work

Foz, even without lift = off the shelf package. At standard height an L series with 3 inchs lift and stock tyre diametre matches the stock foz height!

If you do the L series EJ conversion use the auto that comes with the EJ including the TCU.

Forget the outback unless you want slightly more boot space, only due to the approach and departure angles...

That's all I can think of at the moment. I do love my L series for offroading as it's quite the machine offroad and still handles relatively well onroad considering the mods it's copped.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Yeah I think at this stage I'll keep having fun with the l series till i can afford a nice auto 2.5L or turbo forester

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:03 am

do webber conversions to the carby help much for power or economy?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Go the 2nd gen Forester before they became an overweight slug like most modern Subaru's. And for an auto you will definitely want the 2.5L (the 2L with an auto is pretty tragic in an SF).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:05 pm

yeah ill bare that in mind dfoyl hoping to save enough to gun for an XT in auto but if not will settle for the XS.
2001 Subaru Forester Limited Duel Range stock as a rock with 350 000 kms

Return to “Subaru Chat”