Ladder Racks

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
majordad1

Ladder Racks

Post by majordad1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Guys,

Need some advice.
Want to build some ladder racks for my Brumby and was thinking of having them removable i.e 30mm square hollow tube welded to a plate and fixed to the tray and racks made from 25 x25 square tube that slots inside the base plate.
Question is where best to fix the base plates given that there is a lack of flat area in the tray in any given corner. Was thinking maybe fixing plates to the inside of the tray body resting on the bottom at back end using L shaped bracket and back of the cab up front. Don't need these to be super strong doubt I would ever carry more than 30-40 kilos up top.
Anybody got an opinion or photos of a done job. Cheers

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:01 am

Sorry no pics but have seen it done with 50mm round pipe for the hoops and piece of flat plate around 150mm square at the base of the hoops, then between the 2 hoops, they had joiner pipe using tee clamps. From the looks of it, it was all made using fencing galv. pipe and looked pretty easy to make.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

majordad1

Post by majordad1 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Ended up making them out of 30mm Square tube with dodgy looking brackets out of 50mm Angle mounted to side of tray and back of cab braced at the top just under the window with a bar in between for bracing. Also made one for the front mounted where tow hooks go so can carry lengths up to 5.4 m. Have used them to cart a heap of decking home already, have had around 140kg sitting on them with no dramas. majordad

Return to “Subaru Chat”