Good oil

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Tweety
General Member

Good oil

Post by Tweety » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been a fan of Penrite oils since the 1980's. It was less known then. It's founder I think was Mark Diamond and he owned a very rare AC ace powered by a Ford Zephyr engine.

I recently emailed Pentrite to ask them what oil I should use when I get my EA81 back from the engine builder. Here is his reply.

lubetech@penriteoil.com

Your enquiry:

Have a Subaru Brumby engine EA81 being totally rebuilt with rebore etc. New oil pump, asling what oil you would recommend. Older style design engine, rockers, OHV, flat 4 etc. originally Subaru recommended 15W-40 when new. Synthetic??

Based on your enquiry regarding your vehicle our recommendation is:

Following the running in period (500 km on our Running In Oil SAE 15W-40) I'd go to a semi synthetic, rather than a full synthetic. HPR Diesel 15 fits the bill, despite the word "diesel". The diesel detergent properties will not be an issue in the "dirty, older engine" as it is clean and new. Petrol rating is API SL, so this is fine for the engine given its year of manufacture. Another advantage of HPR Diesel 15 is its availability -it's a widely used oil, with lots of protective zinc.
You can go synthetic later on perhaps.
Regards,

So HPR 15 diesel which is 15W-50 and available for around $38 for 5 litres.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Nice to see a pro's opinion. I should probably consider doing the same thing with my twin port once it's in and running.

Consider me as monitoring this subject ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:06 pm

well, there goes one bullpoo call on running in oil not for actual driving !

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes, Jonno, it confirms it.

Oils in engines can be like religion- subjective. 10,000 motoring enthusiasts will come up with 5000 different opinions.

So, 500kms on running in oil. Change filter and add Penrite HPR 15 diesel. I'll likely remain on that oil forever. Wont bother with full synthetic due to cost. Oil and filter change every 10,000 kms likely means twice a year for Tweety.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:08 pm

A good site is

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs_ ... e_Oils.pdf

I dont think Penrite has done itself any favours by labelling that recommended oil "diesel" when it is the recommended oil for older reconditioned petrol engines....just sayin'.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Tweety wrote: I dont think Penrite has done itself any favours by labelling that recommended oil "diesel" when it is the recommended oil for older reconditioned petrol engines....just sayin'.
It's labelled diesel due to the diesel detergent in it, meaning it is suitable for diesel. Diesel oil is ok for diesel and petrol, however petrol is only ok for petrol (You could use petrol in a diesel but i can't see it working too well/ lasting too long).
As I said, only difference is the detergent which would suit the older style EA81's
I was very happy with the HPR 30 with the extra zinc. So I figured that the same but with more detergent would be a good oil, nice to hear the experts think the same :)

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

badga880

Post by badga880 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Bugger just bought $60.00 worth of penrite will use this then change to diesel oil

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:03 pm

and some small talk on oils ...a well experienced parts sales fella tells me he had been told that once a non Diesel engine gets Diesel spec oil with its increased detergents as part of its additive package - go back to non Diesel engine oil spec and engine will then 'use' oil.

Add this to word that if you clean carbon off pistons as part of a rebuild or rering using same pistons you'll likely use oil on restart. Had that myself as I'd cleaned up a 'carbon seal' or a 'seal' formed by carbon - on a rering job. A few good runs at high revs fixed that - must have developed a new carbon seal ?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeh, start with a brand stick with a brand I say.

Picked up Penrite Running in oil at Autobarn today off the shelf. They had a complete range of Penrite.

Also picked up the trike VW auto transaxle from GV auto service. Complete gasket and seals and adjust and service. They informed me that the torque converter fills up from the auto trans. So it takes over 6 litres Dextron 2 oil. Boy, it all adds up. 2x 4 litres ATF, 5L running in oil, 1 litre axle oil, tub moly grease for uni's, 2x oil filters, container of anti freeze.....$$$$

Return to “Subaru Chat”