gen 2 2.5 into gen 3 outback?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Fatz
General Member

gen 2 2.5 into gen 3 outback?

Post by Fatz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:27 am

Hey guys.
I bought a 98 2.5 gen 2 liberty thinking it was a sohc for my brumby. Got it home to find out it was a dohc. Doh.
Quick question.
Does anyone know if I can swap the motor into a 2000 gen 3 outback plug n play? Or will I run into dramas?
Thanks in advance

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed May 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Can't tell you if it will work in the G3 but I'm guessing you want to swap so you can put the single cam into the Brumby, not sure if you know it but the twin cam 2.5's are notorious for doing head gaskets around the 200,000k mark so if there isn't any evidence of them being done I would change them before putting the motor in anything while it's out, I can imagine cam angle sensors might be a problem with the computers but everything else is pretty much the same, also possibly going from a 4 bolt to an 8 bolt box but that's not a problem.

Best place to ask is RSLC.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Completely different setup. You'd need to change too much to make it work. If you're looking at doing head gaskets, then just use the block and put your SOHC heads and stuff back on it. Remember to use everything from the SOHC including the Timing Belt Pulley on the Crank ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”