Transporting and registering interstate

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
SuBaRiNo

Transporting and registering interstate

Post by SuBaRiNo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm considering purchasing a brumby from interstate. From Victoria and I live in Perth WA. Has anybody had experience purchasing a car interstate? Should I fly over and drive it back? Truck it back? Drive over with a mate and convoy back?

Can I transfer a VIC registered car to a WA address?

Dave

tony

Post by tony » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 pm

I did one last year from tasmania.
easy.
make sure you get a full written receipt from the seller, each state has a register where you can check there are no encumbrances (money owed, hire purchase, bankruptcy, etc.,)
you need the rego of the car chassis number and the owners name and address. if its not registered they can still do it as long as you have a chassis number.
i drove all the way back but it is not cheap if you have to stay in motels around $110 night, petrol around $2 litre, probably easier and cheaper to pay a truckie to backpack it, remember if breaks down you are on your own and it is VERY expensive to get a tow truck in. all you have to do is have towed or driven home.
when you are putting it over the pits the day before have thoroughly cleaned underneath at a car wash, wipe any oil spots off, clean off lumps of grease, make sure all lights are working, upholstery is not ripped put seat covers on if doubtful, window washers work, horn works, window winders work, if you go in with a POS and have made no effort the examiner will likely take a dislike to you and feel insulted.

outback

Post by outback » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:28 am

I'd put it on a truck and bring it back.
It's a lot cheaper if you can get them to drop it off at the depo and you pick it up from the depo.
$500 was the last quote I got from WA to Vic.
If you want to look at the car in person then fly I'd over and drive it back.
But it's a long drive back and will cost a lot more all up then putting it on a truck.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:54 am

I have made a few online quotes so far... Melbourne to Perth
is around $1200. I would guess they would sting u for extra fees for insurance and stuff too.

I will research a bit more.

Dave

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:50 pm

outback wrote:I'd put it on a truck and bring it back.
It's a lot cheaper if you can get them to drop it off at the depo and you pick it up from the depo.
$500 was the last quote I got from WA to Vic.
If you want to look at the car in person then fly I'd over and drive it back.
But it's a long drive back and will cost a lot more all up then putting it on a truck.
SuBaRiNo wrote:I have made a few online quotes so far... Melbourne to Perth
is around $1200. I would guess they would sting u for extra fees for insurance and stuff too.

I will research a bit more.

Dave
Yeah I've never understood why it costs that much to get a car from the East, yet it costs a 3rd of that to go the other way.

Must be cheaper than sending an empty truck back.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I remember Vidler did this with the orange wagon (flew over, drove the car back). Just gotta be sure the car is reliable for long trips I suppose and then it's mostly just fuel, maybe $400 worth in a Brumby?

I did a little looking around online the other day, yeah $1200 looks about right for sending it over on a train.
I'd have to be a pretty darn good bargain or very rare car to justify it for me - that's a pretty significant percentage of the price of any car I'd be buying lol.

Pretty sure you can keep it licenced with Vic plates but only for a certain amount of time after you've taken ownership (as a WA person). To get WA plates on it I'm pretty sure it needs to go over the pits.

I'm not 100% sure on these things though.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:42 pm

If the car doesn't have registration you can get a Victorian unregistered vehicle permit and drive it interstate. I've also used it to get insurance for a vehicle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sublime

Post by sublime » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Venom wrote:If the car doesn't have registration you can get a Victorian unregistered vehicle permit and drive it interstate. I've also used it to get insurance for a vehicle.
Yes, love the Victorian system! Ring VicRoads, pay your money and drive! Simple and cheap. Just make sure WA recognises the Victorian unregistered vehicle permit (UVP). I think most states do.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

tony

Post by tony » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 am

actually if you are wa resident you cannot legally drive an eastern states registered vehicle at all the moment you cross the border you are illegal.
however you would have to be unlucky or stupid to get caught out.
i found this out when i went to register my car.
i actually got pulled up by the booze bus at byford they checked my drivers licence and the car had eastern states plates but had no problems.
you can get a car transported east cheap because they are looking for backloading they are usually travelling empty. coming west the trucks are full.
whatever you do don't get ego transport to carry it. they are long on sales pitch and short on aervice.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 am

tony wrote:actually if you are wa resident you cannot legally drive an eastern states registered vehicle at all the moment you cross the border you are illegal.
Really ??

I think you may need to read the WA Road Traffic Act :

When vehicle licence etc. granted interstate is valid in WA
For the purpose of this Part a licence granted or a registration
effected by any licensing or registering authority of another
State or Territory of the Commonwealth in respect of a vehicle
to which this Part applies is, during the currency of the licence
or registration and so long as a contract of insurance with
respect to that vehicle as provided in section 3(4), or in
section 4, of the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance)
Act 1943 is in force, to be regarded as a vehicle licence under
this Act in respect of the vehicle when it is used on any road
within the State.
[Section 32 amended by No. 28 of 2001 s. 23(2).]

If you bring an interstate vehicle permanently in to WA then you must go over the pits UNLESS you can prove you have owned the vehicle for 12months or more.

See here : WA Dept of Transport
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm

The Vic Temp reg covers you for TAC insurance so that should tick the box for third party coverage, and states you're covered for transport to your registered address including interstate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tony

Post by tony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:04 am

only telling you what the licencing people told me.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:13 am

tony wrote:only telling you what the licencing people told me.
Thats one of the biggest problems here in WA - everybody you speak to in the licencing dept tells you something different - and its usually wrong !!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”