Barn find inside :)

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Well, in Steptoe's eyes you are. But that doesn't look like the same one, unless Steptoe only focused on the negatives of that particular unit...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 am

Think most of us are sickidiots :p I suppose we have to think of those of us with more than one useful Subaru of these vintages as conservationists

It is missing the blackberries !!

That'll be it, answers my PM from last night. My pics were from a buyers perspective, not a sellers, so as to give Lee the best look at it I could give without a bonnet opening, without keys, without revealing its location until Lees' decision had been made.

Reckon I did a good job ,having seen another collectors item that was bought long distance, based on auction photos and buyer self imposed limits, the non-supply of pics of the rear of the vehicle was done for a sellers advantage. Imagine how silly someone was to try entering the boot of a AWD Turbo Vortex in a storage facility - with a friggin' crowbar !! Would have been less of an assault by flipping the rear seats down to reveal it was empty - no treasures, but as a result has a rude bit of panel damage to the top of one rear guard and matching on the boot lid, along with smashed rear light and reflector panels :( :(

My photo shoot was interupted by the landlord asking me to leave despite the tenants invitation to do something about the sale of this little find. It was sitting too close to items going to the crusher and may have gone given circumstances.

It went into the workshop for a rego check and all it needed was front brake pads - maybe ten years ago. Lee will be able to confirm last rego sticker I reckon.

And now that I think of it, it has been years since I asked about it - a few times - receiving a blunt "not mine, not for sale" reply

Wonder how many looks you got on the trip home?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:52 am

Decided if it is to be a parts supply or a fixer upper, or turn key transport ?

sublime

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 am

steptoe wrote:Decided if it is to be a parts supply or a fixer upper, or turn key transport ?
Certainly a fixer upper! While it is in OK condition for having sat for over 9 years, there are some rust issues (of course!). Mainly in the tray and the bonnet. In fact I have never come across a bonnet that has an almost perfect skin with such completely rotted internal frame/bracing! So I will have to source a bonnet... And I imagine freight on one of those will be $$$$.

Never did get a key, but that is OK I have already removed the steering column (and put in another one with no ignition lock) to make it easy to manoeuvre. Should be relatively simple to drop this off at a locksmith and have a new key cut.

An old rego certificate found in the Brumby suggests that it may have been last registered in 2001... From other documents it is clear it has been in hibernation/resting since 2003. Perhaps it spent those 2 years as a farm vehicle? Certainly the mud/dirt in the cabin and under the wheel arches would suggest this!

It has no brakes, so something is amiss. Seller said it came in for brake pads... Not sure if this is the same issue or a problem caused from sitting for 9 years. Afterall, brake fluid is hygroscopic!

Oh yeah, it is an early 1980 model which means EA71 1600cc and single range 4wd gearbox (Was hoping against hope it was a 1981 EA81/dual range!).

Interior is well, bloody dry! I have put some Uticolor Vinyl Softener (Love this stuff!) on the passenger seat in the hopes of saving it... Will need a couple of coats, so we will see if it can be saved. The drivers side is trashed... Nothing left of the foam and vinyl. Dash is cracked but not too bad. Certainly the one in my '78 wagon has many more!

Needs a huge clean and I will give it some Ankor Wax... And take some photos!
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the update Lee, and looking forward to pics. No brakes ? probably all froze up with crud. Once heard as a young lad that vaseline smothered on interior vinyls would help soften things. It could be a real classic daily driver left as is , just mechanicals sorted and reliable :)

I'd be curious to know what the insides of the fuel tank looks like. My Vortex wreck that sat about ten years was so crusty inside, just as bad as my B3 that sat 8.5 years - the crust formed over the mesh pick up took about 90 psi from outside to blow it clear to let the juices flow again. And my GLTA tank was a bit nasty after several years sitting about - fixed with an acid wash, carb soda rinse to neutralise acid, wash, wash, wash - good as afterwards :)

Now, for Carlie400 to be sold to a good home :)

Take the door locks with ignition barrel to be keyed to them ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:29 pm

ahem

barn find #2

Time Willy trimmed the ivy back in his compound :)

corr, look at the dates 8th March last year , 9th March this year

username

Post by username » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:39 am

yes very good

Return to “Subaru Chat”