Talking Cars ...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Bantum
General Member

Talking Cars ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:32 am

I just saw on the news that there is a plan in the US to make all new cars by 2017 be able to 'talk' to each other ... :shock:

More details here : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-0 ... rules.html

Wonder if Australia or Subaru is planning something similar ... Something like the 'I see' it currently has in some models in Japan ... :mrgreen:

Will add more here as if find it ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Knight Rider ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:17 pm

One thing that did came to mind after I'd posted this :

The KITT car ... :rolleyes:

So what is this vehicle-to-vehicle communications system they are proposing ? is it a good thing ? Can it be retrofitted I wonder ?

More to dig up on this I think ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 pm

I think it's more like each car communicates with the car in front and behind so it knows where nearby cars are. So the driver can't follow too close and in the event of a crash the car will stop quicker, also useful in thick fog/bad weather. Retrofit? unlikely since the system would need to be able to override the drivers input during a crash.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

justincase41

Post by justincase41 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Oh I love Kit!!!
Current :
1992 Brumby (Future EJ20 Conversion)
2007 Toyota Prado 120
2012 Great Wall V200 (daily driver)
1997 Subaru Outback
1999 Toyota Surf (Beach Basher)
Past:
To Many to list!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Anyone notice the cheeky CD player in KITT above?

I think the vortex tried to get some design queues from KITT but got it a bit wrong in some ways...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I think it's more like each car communicates with the car in front and behind so it knows where nearby cars are. So the driver can't follow too close and in the event of a crash the car will stop quicker, also useful in thick fog/bad weather. Retrofit? unlikely since the system would need to be able to override the drivers input during a crash.
That is like adaptive cruise control, so you dont get too close to the car in front. The thing I saw used sensors on either side of the car to warn not to change lanes if a car is there. Its activated by putting on the indicator & flashes a warning if it detects a car to the side but doesnt actually affect controls so can be retrofitted.

For several years now I've envisioned a not so distant future where cars communicate with each other & lane sensors so when you go onto a freeway, a true auto pilot takes over. Cars would be evenly spaced & all doing the same speed. As a car enters via an onramp, the other cars in that lane automatically adjust their speed to allow an smooth merge. The effect of all this would be smooth, fast flowing traffic with ZERO accidents.

Imagine that...ZERO accidents! :shock:

It would be a condition of entry onto the Freeway network that only cars with autopilots are allowed.

& if you think this is a bit futuristic, its simply an extrapolation of current technology: adaptive cruise control, brake assist, lane change warning :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Before they can make cars autopilot on the highway, they have to bring out steer by wire and brake by wire, which they are starting to do now apparently. Definately is a scary thought knowing that theres no physical connection from the steering wheel to the rack. Then they have to make everything failsafe so any possible fault from any sensor, component or harness won't steer you onto the other side of the road or disable your brakes in any way. Have been working for a mob for the last 12 months and all we do is make underground mining equipment remote controlled. The circuitry for running/ controlling the machine is relatively basic, the failsafe side of it is incredible.

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

Bantum
General Member

Déjà vu ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes - The vortex was ahead of its time I think, just imagine it with the above technologies incorporated into this :

Note : the similarities between it & KITT ...

Awesome ... !

As to how you would incorporate the new technology - could possibly do it as a kit ( pardon the Pun ) with black box, control servos ( steering, throttle, Brakes ) & selected sensors ( cameras, radar, etc ... ) installed to make it a remote controlled car basically ...

Hmmm - I wonder if Subaru would go for such a thing ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:29 pm

G'day
Yeah I did notice that cd player, no way is that from the 1980s. This must be a pic of it on show in more modern times, imagine owning that thing.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Every generation from year "dot" has eventually aged mentally to the point whereby the younger generations seem light years ahead. Imagine being born in say...1880. Steam trains were a treat, something their grandparents only dreamed of when they were kids. And by 1890 when you would be 10, the first automobile appeared. In 1903 the first aircraft flight, 1915 war by aircraft, 1932 penicillin to remedy the flu and when you were 60 years old ww2 and fighter aircraft at 600 kph and jets.

The next generations were just as exciting. Ending with a man on the moon. Imagine growing up with comic books (Buck Rogers) with such a concept only to find by the time you were old it actually happened.

So now at 58 yo I expect anything in terms of technology but I'm really waiting for the flying car. The main problem with these is they often kill the inventor. Henry Ford had a keen interest in them. We need a new form of transport and it will come in my lifetime, by 2045.

So what about your grandchildren? What will they experience in their lifetime? What will they observe in 2100?

Just my guess. Countries at the leading edge of technology will continue to grow in wealth. Poorer countries will experience worse mass starvation than we've ever seen, so technology wont cure the worlds needs of our fellow man simply because humans in the western world want the direct benefits of such advancements. Its a money world.

Cars talking to each other is good technology as it will save lives. But soon cars will be advanced enough for clean safe travel without fear. Then I reckon the western world should turn their attention to the poor, to fix the issues of shelter, starvation and wars...to help the less fortunate. Otherwise in your lifetime you will see on the TV worse scenes than 9/11, African starvation and cruelty than you've ever seen before.

So my point is? That gadgets are great but eventually, even though you dont think it will happen, you will be 'old fashioned' and you will listen to your child or grandchild talk about "interactive mental response device of gel core atomic molecular structure" and you'll realise you have jumped off the technological train because it has overtaken your ability to keep up. Some old people are already there, my friends in their 70's cant text and cant receive them no matter how hard I try to explain its a case of pressing two buttons. I often get the comment on Tweety "old school eh". yes it is, and its where my comfort zone is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Tweety wrote: So what about your grandchildren? What will they experience in their lifetime? What will they observe in 2100?
A much hotter, drier inhospitable planet with far less biodiversity and more pollution.

Technology wise? only limit is the imagination I suppose ;) Personally I'm holding out for time travel and/or teleportation.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:35 am

I tend to whole heartedly agree with you Tweety, and not because you have just a around 2 years on me either!
It's an odd thing & I do not believe it's all to do with technology, after all I can climb out of a brand new flash car with all the bells & whistles (still looking and finding surprises) into the old brumby and in truth I feel I am in more control with the old girl, it's the same with a brand new motorbike, but I'm much more content and satisfied with the 1969 T120R Bonneville.
With both if we get into trouble 9 times out of 10 they can be self repaired & yes sometimes with a bit of # 8 fencing wire.(used a rubber thong once)
As for vehicles talking to each other, both my 89 Brumby & 1969 Triumph have the capability, it's called a horn!......sometimes accompanied by an expletive or 7

Ray

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 pm

ha!!. well ray, here is an example. booked Trike into ABS brakes Melb this morning 7:30am. meaning had to leave Strathbogie at 5:15am. Couldnt sleep so departed 3am. Went 200 metres to a bridge. Headlights cut out including high beam. Then trike wouldnt start even churning over nicely with a 630cca new battery. pushed tweety in the dark 20 metres. flashlight. Within 10 minutes headlight wire was shorting out and found. fuse replaced. Checked all for why engine wouldnt start. Finally realised that when headlight blew the fuse I reacted such that the on/off switch on the throttle grip was brushed up agaisnt and turned off. Engine fired. rode perfectly from then on. Now if I was in a Nissan complicato.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 am

Now try & tell that to the kids of today & they wouldn't believe you

Return to “Subaru Chat”