Sand driving

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
ozdog

Post by ozdog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Yeh at the moment the community I live in is cut off. The river ( The Fitzroy) is pumping @ 10+ m. In the dry it's 0.3m. I'm just on the northern tip of The Great Sandy Desert but we live on the flood planes. Black soil as you say hard as a rock dry and sticky mud when wet. If any ones up here in the dry I can show them around the STN. Just bring a couple of Barra lures for me!
:)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:55 pm

NachaLuva wrote:IMO 14PSI isnt too risky on the tyres, just dont turn sharply or go too fast ;)

RSR, down to 8PSI? That must've been very soft lol :D
14psi is fine for small tyres like the Subaru use, in fact, I just got back from the beach which I let my 205/70R15s down to 15psi and was running along the beach at between 30-40 kms. I wouldn't do this on large ones like on my canyonero (Landcruiser) unless I was in the really soft stuff. I usually have the LC tyres at 18psi.

I've had my tyres lower than 8psi to get out of the bog but wouldn't recommend it unless you have lots of experience. One time I was on a dry river bed crossing and had the tyres well below 8psi but you do what you have to get through. Cannot stress the importance of pumping them back up once you've got through the rough patch. I've only ever had 1 tyre come off the bead and this was on my LC and this was because I turned at the wrong time.
ozdog wrote:Yeh at the moment the community I live in is cut off. The river ( The Fitzroy) is pumping @ 10+ m. In the dry it's 0.3m. I'm just on the northern tip of The Great Sandy Desert but we live on the flood planes. Black soil as you say hard as a rock dry and sticky mud when wet. If any ones up here in the dry I can show them around the STN. Just bring a couple of Barra lures for me!
:)
Gotta love the wet season. Sorry this dry season we will be in SA but next year we could look in to it :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm

RSR 555 wrote:I've only ever had 1 tyre come off the bead and this was on my LC and this was because I turned at the wrong time.
Another problem is getting sand between the tyre & the rim. It shows as the tyre slowly deflating. We had this happen on one car at Robe...I think he decided to ease up on the donuts after that haha :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Subaru Chat”