blown head gasket! need help

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
__BIG__RICH__

blown head gasket! need help

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:49 pm

hey all, i have a 1999 subaru impreza RX which has done roughly around 220000 kms..

so i took my car to the mechanics and they told me that my head gasket was gone.

and they suggested that i get a second hand engine and get that installed rather than repairing the head gasket.

i was wondering what everyone's thoughts on that are, whether i should get an engine or repair it or buy a new car?

and does anyone know any good place that sell second hand impreza engines and where i can get them fitted?

i live in brisbane

thanks in advance

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 pm

depends is the rest of your engine in good condition? the issue with 2nd hand engines is that generally its hard to know the history, most should come with the ODO of the engine and should have compression test but this does not guarantee its any better then yours.
what im trying to say is that if your engine is good then once the gasket is done there shouldn't be anymore issues were as the 2nd hand engine could do a head gasket a week after installation then your back to square one.
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Don't get a used engine, if yours is fine just do the head gasket. I've been down the road of used engines and for a while I was going through more engines than sets of tyres on the damn car.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 am

oil in water, water in oil, comp between cylinders, leaking oil or water from the gasket to the outside world ?? Dunno about EJ's but some EAs with mild steel welch plugs rot out leaking water into oil....giving blown HG signs......

Return to “Subaru Chat”