Subaru L series suspension

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
nairobery

Subaru L series suspension

Post by nairobery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi yall. Am from Kenya and own a Subaru L series ea71 4wd. Just wondering what are the best Shock Absorbers for the front and rear of the car, i have been really searching the net without a clear answer,hope ill get some help from here. Thanks

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Wow, hi, can you send pics? Do you still have original shocks front and back? Were they suitable? Maybe just replace with same, but maybe use ea82 as engine in search

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Pics please as we don't have an EA71L series over here, we got an EA82 L series ;)

Looking forward to nutting this one out!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

nairobery

pics

Post by nairobery » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, here are the pics. I bought the car last year, i haven't done anything to it yet in terms of repairs and all. Am traveling to Memphis in a few weeks time, and since its so hard to get parts here locally especially for the engine, i know i will be needing your help.

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Not sure i uploaded the pics right,coz they are not showing on my side.

Here is the link http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/fueh.jpg/

you can browse the rest of the pics on there.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Silly us for not saying what we'd like photos of - the EA71 in the L Series engine bay is what, not the suspension shots you kindly put up :)

I think our entire L Series market in most parts of the world got the OHC EA82 and the MY shape before the square L Series came out with mostly EA81 push rod OHV engines like your EA71

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 pm

nairobery wrote:Hi yall. Am from Kenya and own a Subaru L series ea71 4wd. Just wondering what are the best Shock Absorbers for the front and rear of the car, i have been really searching the net without a clear answer,hope ill get some help from here. Thanks
steptoe wrote:Wow, hi, can you send pics? Do you still have original shocks front and back? Were they suitable? Maybe just replace with same, but maybe use ea82 as engine in search
Depends what you mean by 'best'. For everyday use just replace by a reputable brand. Google search will show options.
Once you're in Memphis surely you could pick some up there.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:51 pm

steptoe wrote:Silly us for not saying what we'd like photos of - the EA71 in the L Series engine bay is what, not the suspension shots you kindly put up :)

I think our entire L Series market in most parts of the world got the OHC EA82 and the MY shape before the square L Series came out with mostly EA81 push rod OHV engines like your EA71
*Edited* Because I had another look, it definitely says EA71 :shock: and 1.6DL on the tailgate, thanks Haymaker.

Since this L series has the engine of a much older model, could the suspension be different to ours too?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Haymaker

Post by Haymaker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Nairobey, I dont know what pictures everybody else are looking at but the one you posted of the engine number and engine stamp definetly says EA71. It's also interesting how the tailgate of your L series has a 1.6 DL sticker on it. Looks like everything else is standard L series.

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 am

It was confusing what DL/GL mean coz i have seen a few other over here that look like mine with the GL sign. I can confirm that mine everything seems manual, no power windows,no power steering,its really basic but i love the car,so does the EA71 having a 1.6 DL sign mean something.

Yeah when i get to memphis i will pick up some shocks from a good brand coz its riding really horrible right now. Though in the long run i want an ej22 in it, i watched El_Freddo's subie do some crazy things.

Another question, is this the correct CV shaft for my car http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1268456
I really appreciate all the info from everyone. cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:39 am

err.... :oops: looking harder.... and on the OQ - Subaru is a good brand to start with - genuine an option for you ? They fit first time :)

Like cars , there are some tricks to a slide show <<>> buttons :D

Before you leave for Memphis it will be wise for you to take note of the measure from the bottom mounting hole to the coil spring seat/perch of the rear shock as there is about three different sizes in this regard for L Series. Take same measures of front struts for peace of mind. To alter dimension with your springs will alter ride height and spring rate. Sdans do not have that rear bump stop off body and use an internal rubber stopper on the top shaft of shock - wagons too ? They crumble after two decades so spares too ??

I am yet to decipher the difference between DL/GL is - further up the alphabet the better ? L for Leone or Luxury ??

What I can see is you have Series 2 front grille and the Touring Wagon high top roof line, and here TW were better optioned - besides the driveline, some got mpfi

Radiator cap for oil cap ?

Would like one or two shots of the rocker covers to chassis clearance too if possible :) thanks for the slide show

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Like cars , there are some tricks to a slide show <<>> buttons :D

Hahaha am just getting all this figured out,am sure il get to know how.

Before you leave for Memphis it will be wise for you to take note of the measure from the bottom mounting hole to the coil spring seat/perch of the rear shock as there is about three different sizes in this regard for L Series. Take same measures of front struts for peace of mind. To alter dimension with your springs will alter ride height and spring rate. Sdans do not have that rear bump stop off body and use an internal rubber stopper on the top shaft of shock - wagons too ? They crumble after two decades so spares too ??

Does it mean if i get the wrong size it wont fit? or it would just adjust the height.

This is what i used to guide me on what shocks to get >> http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... ru-loyale/

Front shocks:
MONROE Part # 71876
MONROE Part # 71877

Rear shocks:
KYB Part # 341216 GR-2 / Excel-G

Radiator cap for oil cap ?

I bought the car that way, i will go to the yard soon and check if i can find the correct cap for the oil

Would like one or two shots of the rocker covers to chassis clearance too if possible :) thanks for the slide show

Here are the rocker covers http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/bni6.jpg/
will get a photo of the chassis clearance later.

Thanks Steptoe

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 am

The science of springs ..... if you get a rear shock of different measures and fit up your current spring it may be either too tight or too loose in the fitment to start with, but not likely coz they are long things, but to alter the fitted length and just the body load on them may sit at a different height, may also likely behave in an unsafe manner, too hard, or too bouncy, coil binding may occur which sort of ruins whole point of having springs.

As for the part numbers you have found, I can't comment. You may find numbers on yours at lower end of the rears, may need a clean up, numbers might reveal some further info. Earliest 84 and 85 L wagons had a rear shock that looked a bit like an old adjustable motorbike rear shock with three settings, then the later 85,86 got one height measured from bottom of spring seat to bottom bolt hole, later models change that measure again. Not up on what springs were in what models but factory springs used a code of paint daubs on the coils themselves, of pink, green, orange , sometimes two colours on each spring and colours matched left to right. The fronts though have a different part number for left and right of some models at least and the paint codes differed also !

Nice pics of rocker covers in an L.

Have you even seen an EA82?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 pm

nairobery wrote:It was confusing what DL/GL mean coz i have seen a few other over here that look like mine with the GL sign. I can confirm that mine everything seems manual, no power windows,no power steering,its really basic but i love the car,so does the EA71 having a 1.6 DL sign mean something.
DL is the base model - nothing electric or posh. The GL was the up-spec models, in the "series two" over here (post 1987) they came with electric everything, carpets and a "better" fabric on the seats. As Steptoe has said, some came in Multi Point Fuel Injection or MPFI for short.
nairobery wrote:in the long run i want an ej22 in it, i watched El_Freddo's subie do some crazy things.
Awesome to know that Ruby Scoo's inspiring others. I'm still not done with her and I'm sure she's capable of more crazy things!
steptoe wrote:Radiator cap for oil cap ?
I saw that too, had a chuckle! I'd leave it if it's doing the job Nairobery, no need to spend more money than you need to ;)
steptoe wrote:Would like one or two shots of the rocker covers to chassis clearance too if possible :) thanks for the slide show
I'm sure there would be heaps. I think my EJ has more than the EA82 did! I should compare with another L series...

I thought it interesting that you've essentially got an L series touring wagon (top spec over here) body, base model features and an even smaller engine than the EA82 (1.8 litre) that would be even worse to drive around in - but no "rubber bands" (small crap cam belts) to snap!

^ The position of the distributor is a dead give away that it's not an EA82!

Thanks for sharing Nairobery, it's interesting to know there are different setups out there from the factory.

The drive shafts should be stock L series as I think the only thing different here is the engine in essence.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 am

Then there is the ignition coil on a side a little handier to EA71/ EA81 dizzy location ! Our L Series with EA82 have the coil mounted on the other strut tower :)

I do wonder the savings of EA71 V EA82 after all things considered - like a change in the wiring loom to swap sides for the dizzy, manual write changes, parts supply and control .... a few less parts to list like timing belts and tensioners, timing belt covers ....

nairobery

Weber for my EA71

Post by nairobery » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 pm

steptoe wrote:Then there is the ignition coil on a side a little handier to EA71/ EA81 dizzy location ! Our L Series with EA82 have the coil mounted on the other strut tower :)

I do wonder the savings of EA71 V EA82 after all things considered - like a change in the wiring loom to swap sides for the dizzy, manual write changes, parts supply and control .... a few less parts to list like timing belts and tensioners, timing belt covers ....

Hi good people,its been a while since i was here. Actually i got back from Memphis and i sure i did get all the parts that i was looking for and they fit the car just right apart from the rear shocks that were almost an inch lower than the previous once,though it doesn't seem too low right now but at least they will do till i can get the right ones.

Now here is where i really need HELP....am looking for the Weber Carburetor for the EA-71 http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/subaru/ its the K730 Electric choke, even if its used i would give it a try. Am hoping they are not scarce in Australia as they are over here. Thanks yall.

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 am

You are now asking about the carbie in your 'suspension' thread.

Possibly think about starting a thread 'Weber Carburetor for the EA-71'. That way people will know what it is you are looking for now.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Hopefully Toonga or someone who knows more about the webers can help out. I'm not sure what I'd be looking at. And from what I think I know I would say they're not that cheap over here anyway.

All the best with it. Make sure you get any adaptor plates you might need too. Someone will know more than I do ;)

Cheers

Bennie

PS - you can start a new thread and add a link into here and vice versa to keep things together if you want ;)

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Esubie wrote:You are now asking about the carbie in your 'suspension' thread.

Possibly think about starting a thread 'Weber Carburetor for the EA-71'. That way people will know what it is you are looking for now.

Ok thanks, my bad.

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Hopefully Toonga or someone who knows more about the webers can help out. I'm not sure what I'd be looking at. And from what I think I know I would say they're not that cheap over here anyway.

All the best with it. Make sure you get any adaptor plates you might need too. Someone will know more than I do ;)

Cheers

Bennie

PS - you can start a new thread and add a link into here and vice versa to keep things together if you want ;)

Let me look for Toonga see if he can help me out with that. Thanks El freddo n i will be needing your experience very soon on the Ej conversion,just saving up to buy an ej engine,they aint cheap over here. Have a good one.

Return to “Subaru Chat”