Subaxtreme rear bar on forester questions

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tommo

Subaxtreme rear bar on forester questions

Post by tommo » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi all,
been a long while since I posted anything on here, but I've recently become the proud owner of a Subaru again. This time a '97 Forester, previously owned by my adventurous, outdoor-loving grandmother. Complete with a 2" lift, King springs, alloy bullbar and SubaXtreme rear bar!

I have a couple of questions about the SubaXtreme rear bar. It has a spare wheel and jerry can holder on swinging arms with gas struts, and I'm wondering if they're designed to be removable?
Now a related question - if I can get them off, the number plate will need a new home and I can't really see how I could fit it on there... Any suggestions?

As usual, thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers,
Tom.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 pm

tommo wrote:a '97 Forester, previously owned by my adventurous, outdoor-loving grandmother. Complete with a 2" lift, King springs, alloy bullbar and SubaXtreme rear bar!
I like the sound of your grandmother - about the only one I've heard to pimp out her vehicle offroad style (or any for that matter!)
tommo wrote:I have a couple of questions about the SubaXtreme rear bar. It has a spare wheel and jerry can holder on swinging arms with gas struts, and I'm wondering if they're designed to be removable?
They are removable, but, you need to remove the whole rear bar to get at the bolts that hold the swing arms in. While you've got the bar off drill out a hole under each bolt so you don't need to remove the bar next time. Be sure to seal the exposed metal to keep it fresh from rust ;)

This "procedure" was done by SKT on the forester that Dulagarl (spelling??) now owns.

Hope that helps out ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the info Bennie, I was beginning to think I'd have to pull the bar off (but was hoping I wouldn't have to). Good idea drilling access holes, might even be able to find some rubber grommets to put in the holes!

Cheers,
Tom.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Thu May 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Good to see your got another Subaru Tom
Even better a Forester :D

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 pm

tommo wrote:a '97 Forester, previously owned by my adventurous, outdoor-loving grandmother. Complete with a 2" lift, King springs, alloy bullbar and SubaXtreme rear bar!
Go Granny! :twisted::mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

tommo

Post by tommo » Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Yep, good to have a Suby again Jan. Have to come and join you on a trip some time!

And yep, Grandma's pretty cool: She's an avid botanist/environmentalist, and used to do a lot of trips out west collecting plants for the Herbarium. The forester served her very well - sadly she can't drive it anymore. So now it's my turn to get some miles out of it. All credit for the car goes to her though!

Return to “Subaru Chat”