EA82T power mod block egr at lhs head

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

EA82T power mod block egr at lhs head

Post by steptoe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:47 am

have been told that to stick a plate over lhs head outlet/inlet to egr , like block it off can give extra noticeable kilowatts

ever done this ?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 pm

I cant see how

The egr which is designed to reduce no2 emissions caused by high combustion temps, only operates when the car is cruising, and it cuts out under acceleration.

But then again i could be wrong

Gannon
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 15, 2006 10:14 pm

so could the guy that told me as he reckons you can't stick the new motors in L and MY coz they need a computer. I kept me mouth shut.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 pm

jono wrote:so could the guy that told me as he reckons you can't stick the new motors in L and MY coz they need a computer. I kept me mouth shut.
He's right. They do need a computer.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 15, 2006 11:11 pm

yeah, but if you can get an engine , surely you can get a computer. what sort of computers are you all running if not genuine subies computers

and risingsunsteve and brumbertymatt might just disagree - ala Fiori points dizzy and lpg !!

I bet there ain't any room left for a turbo after the dizzy goes in - or is EJ turbo on the lhs ?

redskin

Post by redskin » Tue May 16, 2006 3:27 am

The guy that tuned in my motor also removed the EGR valve for the same reason as you mention. l can't say if he was right or wrong as the EGR valve was removed before the motor was fired up so no comparisons or confirmations on this from me, but the guy that did the work tunes alot of the Maclay rally cars so l guess he just might know for sure, me, l certainly have no complaints, the old ute has never run better.
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue May 16, 2006 9:14 am

jono wrote:yeah, but if you can get an engine , surely you can get a computer. what sort of computers are you all running if not genuine subies computers

and risingsunsteve and brumbertymatt might just disagree - ala Fiori points dizzy and lpg !!

I bet there ain't any room left for a turbo after the dizzy goes in - or is EJ turbo on the lhs ?
I was kidding. I was running the standard Subaru computer on my coupe until I upgraded to the PowerFC, my sedan runs a Subaru computer.
EJ turbo is on the driver's side, where the EA82T has it as well. The turbo would fit with a dizzy-modded motor, but it would be "interesting" to tune properly.

Just thinking, I think my EA82 has it's EGR blocked off too. I noticed all this extra crap hanging off my brother's EA82 when we did his clutch the other weekend, my motor looks bare in comparison.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 16, 2006 9:25 am

if it's easy to get to when motor is in, I might wait 'til thing is going before I try, then see seat of pants dyno picks notices it

I think I will take lots of photos and save to a CD as I dismantle this baby.

Now I remember, looking at a tidy white auto Turbo L series five or six years ago $5k , and looking under the bonnet, I was never gonna own an engine bay so packed with goodies (so many to get in the %@#$ way of everything)
I suppose we all change, so too is that engine bay !

mattims

Post by mattims » Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 am

the ea82 ive just put in my L has this blocked of too .. cant compare power though as this engine has other stuff done too it.

SCOOBIDOO

Re: EA82T power mod block egr at lhs head

Post by SCOOBIDOO » Tue May 16, 2006 3:05 pm

jono wrote:have been told that to stick a plate over lhs head outlet/inlet to egr , like block it off can give extra noticeable kilowatts

ever done this ?
think of it this way...how do you think your engine would run..if you pumped in carbonmonoxide,which contains no oxygen molecule,s?
we all know non combustable gas wont help our engines get any extra power..this is exactly what the egr valve does ..reciculate,s burnt gases and send,s them back through the combustion cycle to make the government and greenies that little bit happier.....go to the local drag strip and see if you can find an egr valve on anything. better still go to the local speed shop and ask for a performance egr valve..let us know how long he hesitate,s before he becomes histerical with laughter... :lol:
They always make your engine use more fuel and give you less power!
thats a garantee. all you need to do is disconnect the vacuum line to this valve and block the line..your economy will go up by around 20% and you will notice you wont have to bury your foot into the secondary,s everywhere to get up to normal speeds

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue May 16, 2006 3:34 pm

What the hell is wrong with wanting cleaner combustion :?:
theres too much pollution around as it is........
and our roads are not drag strips

besides if you read, and someone else pointed out, that the egr only operates during cruise...so should not make any difference to
SCOOBIDOO wrote: to bury your foot ...
The trouble with egr Valve is they don't last the life of the engine, start getting sticky,and so continue to recirculate during acceleration.
and so the tale perpetuates that people render it inoperative and then say well, the car performs so much better now!! well its BS, the valve or the control solenoid is faulty.

Fact is all (afaik) anti-pollution gear is targeted at idle and cruise, its in manufacturers interest to optimise this as best as possible and still brag about how much power the engine can perform. Sometimes this necessitates limiting power, because in the power curve theres not much anti-pollution gear active (except the cat) to control polluting gases.

subelover

Post by subelover » Tue May 16, 2006 3:54 pm

so thats it then just disconected and block the vacuum line to the egr valve... sounds good in theroy mite go out and try it. give it a week and c if it makes a difference in economy... 20% a fair improvement. im already getting 500=550 ks from my carb l series and 550=580 from my mpfi touring wagon. if it works thats bloody fantastic.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue May 16, 2006 5:07 pm

I have mine not operative on my RX and cant say it went better with or without it, it was leaking so i blocked it off
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

subelover

Post by subelover » Thu May 18, 2006 2:26 pm

hi, so can you just remove the egr valve? just looking at a little more go. the air injection sysytem can you leave the anti backfire cannister set up on? the reed valve set up passenger side between the dizzy and the top of the gbox can u remove this 2? i was reading up on it in the air injection system it aids complete combustion of the air/fuel before being discharged. it draws filtered air from the air cleaner and pumps it into the exhaust gas enriching the exhuast gas with o2 thus cleaner emission. any 1 done this b4 ? is there any bad effect on the motor? ie backfiring?

cheers

SCOOBIDOO

Post by SCOOBIDOO » Thu May 18, 2006 7:11 pm

plug the hose that goes to the air filter from the reed valve /anti backfire valve..this helps to as the reed valve usually lets air back the other way..which cause,s part of the backfiring also,especially with straight through systems....

subelover

Post by subelover » Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 pm

ta scoobie removed the vacuum hose and blocked it off to the egr valve. blocked the reed valve hose inlet to the air cleaner housig and anti backfire hose 2 improvement in economy feels like a small gain in kw have notice that when coasting down hill now i think there is less poping on the over run.... runs a little smoother 2 mite b also cause i tuned the carbie up.. cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 19, 2006 1:54 pm

the idea of blocking something to disable its function rather than removing it entirely is so that the car appears to be in roadworthy condition should it need to be inspected for RTA purposes, incase someone has not worked that out.

subelover

Post by subelover » Fri May 19, 2006 2:59 pm

yeah jono i uderstand that, if ur aimin the comment at me. i will put it all back on now that ive tested it out to c if there was a change....i am goin to put everything back together to make it permanent but look standard they arnt as strict down here in tassie compaired to the mainland. thanks for the info mate
cheers

subelover

Post by subelover » Sat May 20, 2006 1:23 pm

my car is smoother and runs much better now. i took the plate off the inlet manifold where the anti backfire hose connects and made up a solid plate to cover the inlet exhaust ports put it all back together and brilliant smooth as now. also blocked the inlet to the air cleaner housing from the reed valve. the car is better at mid speeds it feels now. instead of flooring it to go anywhere its just got the extra go. id say it feelslike 5-10 not much but gain but the smoothness very happy. oh and no poppong at all btw cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 21, 2006 11:14 am

not aimed at anyone in perticular, just lettin' any1 who reads later in archives etc.

comments noted. just gotta get mine on the road so's I can fiddle too !

Return to “Subaru Chat”