"best car I ever had"

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

"best car I ever had"

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

said the fella looking over my Jaffa L Series EA82 GLTA, was looking over it quite intently as it looked just the same as his. His wife sold it for a few hundred bucks about same time I picked mine up, something he was not happy about, even after seven years !

Simple question to determine if it was his old one. His was not turbo or 4WD .

His comments were that it was reliable, good on fuel, no trouble towing his trailer, good visibility, plenty of power and could fit five milk crates of tools in the boot!

So far, think it is the best car I have ever had too.The best ute is my Brumby :)

So what's your best car so far ?

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm

honestly the best "car" was our 99 mitsubishi magna.
it kills me to say that but i really wish we hadn't sold it and brought our 04 forester.

it was so reliable at 285,000 when we sold it the only thing i had done to it was replace the rear brake pads and service it. nothing ever broke and didnt burn any oil. heaps of power from the 3.5l the only downfall was the FWD and the shitty 4sp auto.

the best ute is of course the brumby :p
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm

my 01 liberty is the best ive ever owned.

bought it with 60k km when i was 18, 7years later and another 140k km, still going really well with no massive problems! The worst thing that let go was a knock sensor.

alex

Post by 60766244 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

thunder039 wrote:honestly the best "car" was our 99 mitsubishi magna.
it kills me to say that but i really wish we hadn't sold it and brought our 04 forester.
We're just about total opposites... I had a '92 Mitsubishi Magna Exec. Wagon - It was a very comfortable, nice to drive and easy going car, when it worked.
Somehow I managed to sell it with a dead gearbox and a dying cancer riddled motor for $1000 to an avid buyer :-|- stoked. I thought it was scrap yard material. :razz:

My favourite car so far is my 2000 Forrester - manual, 2.0L petrol.
All the creature comforts you can think of, tough, reliable, practical and moderately economical (500ishkm per tank)

I daily remorse my selling it. :(
thunder039 wrote: the best ute is of course the brumby :p
The Brumby is a superb ute. I pulled up to a brand new out of the box Proton Jumbuck yesterday, looked them right in the eye and they visibly made an "oh" sound and looked away.

>They Jelly as f**k
>My face when
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

indy

Post by indy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Currently own an 01 outback, had an 88 L series carby.
The L series was the best car i ever had, great vision, amazing turning circle, went everywhere i ever wanted, just an awesome car. It would be perfect if it had the EJ25 from my outback in it >:)
I love the comfortability of the outback, the power, AWD, the air con and all the modern features. But i miss the cruisyness, low gearing, turning circle and vision of the L series.
L series with EJ25, Outback seats and all the bells and whistles would be my dream car.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Best car I ever had...well I've only owned 3...still own 2 :p But so far it is the old wagon. Sure it may not have been the fastest, most comfortable or prettiest car on the road but it has so much history with our family (sentimental value) and I just love it to bits, was never embarrassed to be seen driving it or parking it in the Subaru dealership customer car park. Best way of describing it is it fits me like a glove. It's not a huge cumbersome wagon like some out there, but still has some boot space that has come in handy more than a few times when I've owned it. It was super reliable until I started fiddling with it and even then it didn't take much to get it going again like it just wanted to keep going. And it got me to work and back for more than a year without a single issue which is incredible for a 31 year old car that wasn't looked after properly for nearly 10 of those.

And I'm loving the resto, I get tingles when I think about the drive at the end of the work and the looks on peoples faces :D
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

I would have to say it is a toss up between my brumby and the MY wagon I wish I had never sold, with jet car coming in a close second :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 am

Had this old girl for 10 year nows. Pictures are old but it hasn't changed in that time. Most reliable trouble free car i've ever owned. Started first go with a little aero start after 4 years in storage :o

Gotta love club rego for $100 a year. I would have sold it if i had to pay the full amount...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 am

Love the old VC. Bet many were disappointed the VD never made it to the streets :D

Have you got both, one or none of the little reflector aluminium border rings on the rear lights ? Usually see just one for some reason .....

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 am

Got both rings and complete spare rear lights :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:29 am

Lovely Valiant, Venom. I remember lots of the 'Safari' wagons carting the Lebanese families around (Catholic school) when I was young...the vehicles went by a name that's politically incorrect now- bit of a shame, it's wonderfully descriptive.

Back on topic... I still have my best car- my 1990 Nissan Pulsar Vector SSS LSD (what a mouthful), in a colour I call "stark raving blue". Purchased with 70672 km on it, it now has >400000km on an unoverhauled original engine. I can still park it for a month, then insert-key, turn, start. It only once (dead batteries aside) 'failed to proceed,' due to a dud ignition module.

I've done far more dirt/mud/off-road in that thing than in the Forester. I'm far more comfortable in it on dirt roads, I know what it's capable of, how it handles and what it'll do. It's forded the Wolgan River, overtaken Landcruisers in mud coming out of the Wolgan valley and been to Cooktown and back (clicked over 300,000 during). You can throw it around and it won't bite you. I'm sure the FWD LSD makes a huge difference, no probs planting the foot out of a corner. Whilst no sharp sports car, it rewards correct (for it) driving technique- throttle balanceable front/rear/four wheel slides are all possible. Many times I happily took it out, just for fun, on a wet night at 11pm for a ~200km run on country roads ("Fright nights", I called them). I don't know how many times I had a loopy grin on my face, in a four wheel slide, in the middle of nowhere, at night on an old highway, with no-one but me to know...fun times!

I've hung on to the Pulsar and believe it's worth rebuilding/restoring/maintaining because of the 'fun factor', reliability, toughness and Aussie parts. In short I trust it, driving-wise, more than the Forester.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Subaru Chat”