Tyre Swap ? For Outback 3.0R

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
dlaloum

Tyre Swap ? For Outback 3.0R

Post by dlaloum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Folks,

my 2005 OB 3.0R has: Silverstone Atlantis V7 on the front, Dunlop SP300 on the back, and an original (possibly never used!) Geolandar G900 as a spare.

I would like to put a matched set all around on the car, and am looking for advice...

1) How do I get rid of 5 perfectly good (very low mileage) tyres? (is there any way to trade them in?, anyone want some of these?)
2) What are the best tyres to get for someone where 95% of use will be sealed road, 4% unsealed, and occasional very very minor off road
3) My focus is wet braking / handling, comfort, and noise - not so much "high performance" oriented. (in the past on other cars, have loved Michelin MXV3's, more recently Michelin Primacy3's)

Thanks for any advice / help

David

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm

If you already have a preference for the Michelins, then why not go with them??

If your current tyres are brand new, you should be able to trade them in...

I personaly like Yokohamas, and to suit your needs maybe the Geolandar H/T-S would be a nice option?

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

dlaloum

Post by dlaloum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks Pezimm,

The tyres seem new - and the dealer claimed that at least the front ones were brand new (with some km from various test drives), and I have a feeling that the rear ones have done less than 10k...

I just don't know whether normal tyre dealers take trade-ins or what to expect...

Yes I am seriously considering Michelins (based on my previous experiences)!

But what I am basically looking for is a luxury touring tyre rather than a performance tyre - I don't mind sacrificing some "road feel" in exchange for having a plusher ride - but I don't want to sacrifice handling in the wet.

The Outback tyre thread (thanks Gannon) seems focused on performance and A/T or semi-A/T tyres.... but I am working my way through it now - thanks!

bye for now

David

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm

To sell your old (newish) tyres, Gumtree or here will be your best bet.

Dealers will not want them - years ago they used to keep to stock of reasonable tyres for pensioners, trailers etc, but now most cannot be bothered.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

berttus

Post by berttus » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Im tipping your running a 216/60/16 or 215/55/17. Either way the Dunlop 300E is one of the best tyres on the market for what you're after. I put a set on my Brumby and have just put a second set on my mothers Liberty as i think they're fantastic. They were/are also an O.E fitment on Aurion, Camry, Corolla and Yaris so they are rated quite highly.

I'd chuck the Silverstones and put a couple of newies on the front. Any particular reason why you want to ditch the spare, probably no need to change it.

dlaloum

Post by dlaloum » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Folks

Just spent a week in the Otways with the new car - happy with the way it handles and runs - very sweet...

The front seats however seems more comfortable than the rear, in terms of suspension, damping, give....

Is this normal for the 3.0R ? - or is this due to having the Atlantis V7 on the front and the Dunlop 300 on the rear? - in other words are the V7's "softer" in the sidewalls than the 300's or is it the suspension?

thanks

David

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:11 am

probably more so due to the geometry of the car. i used to hate sitting in the back on the my father in laws 07 liberty because it was so harsh, yet in the front was a very comfortable car.
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:47 am

dlaloum wrote:The front seats however seems more comfortable than the rear, in terms of suspension, damping, give....
I've got a mate that used to work in a seat manufacturer and he would tell me horrible tales about front seats getting all the prime material and top engineering when the rear seats would be made from off cuts and the cheapest materials, so I would say it's more to do with Subaru's being "all for the driver".

Pedro

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Return to “Subaru Chat”