Newbie and eager to buy a Liberty GEN4

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
willeh88

Newbie and eager to buy a Liberty GEN4

Post by willeh88 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Hey guys! I've just signed up today in desperation for some advice from anyone who is willing to help :)

Just a bit of history:
I haven't been in the loop with cars in general until recently where I'm in the need of purchasing a new car. I currently own a 1992 Ford Fairmont 6cl which I bought off a relative. Had it converted to LPG which has treated me well for several years. I've recently exceeded the 300km mark and unfortunately my mechanic had advised that the engine is reaching it's limit (wear and tear) and is not worth undergoing any further repairs. This brings me here!
I've ALWAYS been a fan of Subaru, specifically the 1998 Impreza WRX. Probably one of the only cars where it got me the whole Love at first sight feeling. But after spending a great deal of time researching/comparing multiple cars, I've decided to stick to the more recent models (cause I'm a newbie and I like to be safe lol).

What I want in a car
I currently live in Melbourne and drive up to the City everyday for work (30-40mins) Thus I'm always in peak-hour traffic. This is mainly how I'll be using my car. I won't be travelling long distances much. Initially I was leaning more towards the Ford Fiesta ZETEC and Holden Cruze as they seem to be quite fuel efficient, but trying to find reasons to buy a Liberty instead. I'm not an aggressive driver but I need a reasonable amount of power. I've looked through the specifications for the 2.0R, 3.0R, GT's etc and I guess it's come down to the point where I'm in need of you experts to assist me further. My current budget is anywhere between 15-20k so needing advice on what would be suitable for me in my current situation. (Note: I'm transitioning from LPG which costs me approximately $30-$40 a week, so I don't intend to change to a heavy duty fuel consuming beast which would most likely empty my wallet :D)

I'm currently browsing through the forums for related topics so feel free to share links and your own opinions on my current post.

Much Thanks!
- Wilfred.

berttus

Post by berttus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Wilfred, welcome.
I'll let you in on my brief story, i learnt to drive in the old mans Gen4 2.5 and it was a brilliant car. So much so that after selling it, and buying a WRX after a few years he went back to another Gen4 Lib. Ive always been a fan. My parents have had a Gen2, Gen3 and the 2 Gen4s and a WRX, and i have had Gen1, SS ute, Brumby and now my second Gen1 Lib.

Long story short, im hooked on Libertys, and a Gen4 will be a very nice car for you. I would go for the 2.5. Its in your price range and is a good compromise between power and economy(should be quicker than your fairmont). Im no expert but ive heard the 2.0 can be a bit of a slug and the 3.0 and the GT quite thirsty.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't at all.

Brett

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:58 pm

In that price range id go a 2.5L (your choice of manual or auto, but auto sucks manual all the way :p).

The 2.5 with a manual has some decent go especially a 4th gen, and fuel economy isn't too bad you can expect to get ~10L/100 depending on how you drive and conditions.

Reasons to buy over a cruze or fiesta:

-Far better build quality inside and out (especially interior quality) that the cheap ford and holden quality.
-AWD system is brilliant on road for safety and handling
-Very safe car all around
-Reasonably fuel efficient while being decent on power
-Will easily last way over 300,000km as long as its looked after with few issues, far more reliable than holden or fords.
-Just a very comfortable and luxury car, especially higher models.

That should give you a good idea.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

GOD

Post by GOD » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:11 pm

At the risk of being shouted down by the true believers, I'm gonna say a Subaru isn't the best car for your needs. Next to any comparable front drive car, Subies are expensive, slow and thirsty. But if you want a Lib, go for it. Get out there and test drive some different cars.

And Davidov, check out a late model Astra or Focus before you make too many wild generalisations about Holden and Ford quality. They're actually pretty good.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm

GOD wrote:At the risk of being shouted down by the true believers, I'm gonna say a Subaru isn't the best car for your needs. Next to any comparable front drive car, Subies are expensive, slow and thirsty. But if you want a Lib, go for it. Get out there and test drive some different cars.

And Davidov, check out a late model Astra or Focus before you make too many wild generalisations about Holden and Ford quality. They're actually pretty good.

Dane.
Yes their quality has improved in the late models. But i was saying that compared to the likes of a liberty, their quality is still 'cheap' in nature. And i still think that.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

willeh88

Post by willeh88 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 pm

berttus wrote:Hi Wilfred, welcome.
I'll let you in on my brief story, i learnt to drive in the old mans Gen4 2.5 and it was a brilliant car. So much so that after selling it, and buying a WRX after a few years he went back to another Gen4 Lib. Ive always been a fan. My parents have had a Gen2, Gen3 and the 2 Gen4s and a WRX, and i have had Gen1, SS ute, Brumby and now my second Gen1 Lib.

Long story short, im hooked on Libertys, and a Gen4 will be a very nice car for you. I would go for the 2.5. Its in your price range and is a good compromise between power and economy(should be quicker than your fairmont). Im no expert but ive heard the 2.0 can be a bit of a slug and the 3.0 and the GT quite thirsty.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't at all.

Brett
Hey Brett, thanks for sharing your story! Seems like you're quite a fan :D

I'll definitely go schedule some test drives and see how I go!
Davidov wrote:In that price range id go a 2.5L (your choice of manual or auto, but auto sucks manual all the way :p).

The 2.5 with a manual has some decent go especially a 4th gen, and fuel economy isn't too bad you can expect to get ~10L/100 depending on how you drive and conditions.

Reasons to buy over a cruze or fiesta:

-Far better build quality inside and out (especially interior quality) that the cheap ford and holden quality.
-AWD system is brilliant on road for safety and handling
-Very safe car all around
-Reasonably fuel efficient while being decent on power
-Will easily last way over 300,000km as long as its looked after with few issues, far more reliable than holden or fords.
-Just a very comfortable and luxury car, especially higher models.

That should give you a good idea.
Thanks for your feedback Davidov! I'll def give that a go ;D

GOD wrote:At the risk of being shouted down by the true believers, I'm gonna say a Subaru isn't the best car for your needs. Next to any comparable front drive car, Subies are expensive, slow and thirsty. But if you want a Lib, go for it. Get out there and test drive some different cars.

Dane.
Thanks GOD for your honest opinion in regards to my current situation. I'll take that into account and make a decision hopefully soon :)

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 pm

i have the 2L turbo Gen 4 and i get around 700+kms of pure highway driving (Gold Coast to NewCastle) plenty of power to overtake (just foot down in 5th)

down side is i run Premium.. and Premium is $$$ where as a shitbox Holden or Ford you will run any old cheap petrol

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm

i have driven a gen 4 auto 2.5 wagon, and it is a very lovely car, very zippy, much more then my 2.5 auto forester for some reason....
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 am

Ive had Gen 2 Libertys and now own MY07 wagon, 2.5i automatic. Very happy with the car, if you're driving in city constantly at one tank of fuel will take you just under 500ks, if you're out in the country highway constant is better, recently came back from Adelaide it reached 725kms. Very happy with Gen 4 wagon, not many complaints about it, just the interior lighting and sluggish 4 speed auto which I dont like at all - apart from that its a great car.

Forgot to add - another thing is annoying is speedo issue... if you're at 109kmh the real speed is 100 on the dash. therefor if you're doing 110 you're doing 118 on the dash!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 am

AP !! whereya been ?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 am

steptoe wrote:AP !! whereya been ?
hah hiding! :P
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Subaru Chat”