Need help, Brumby wiring

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Backyard_Brumby

Need help, Brumby wiring

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

The old man and I are finally getting towards the end of the Brumby project and are just doing the wiring before we call little white ute over to help us start her up. The problems we are facing are due to putting in the sports dash and hooking it up to the existing loom. We put a battery in today and alot of good signs but one thing we realised is the indicator switch wasn't hooked up. Now the connectors look very different. The white one in the below pictures is the connecter from the dash and the White and Brown ones are from the indicator switch.

Has anyone had prior experience ( El Freddo I am looking your way) or any advice on how to attack this. Can't match them all up with colour codes and running multi meter on them just left us with more questions haha

Thanks in advance for any help

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg560/sc ... res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/sc ... res=medium
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Bantum
General Member

Differences ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I'd say that the sport dash is different from you standard dash - what year are they from ?

If you look up that specific model in the wiring circuit, it should tell you what goes where ... ;)
It would then be a matter of matching circuits & adding bits for any new function not on the original.

Note: the plug pins that go to back of the instruments might not match also ... :(

I'm guessing tacho, and a few others need to be added ... :)

P.S. - Here is a pic' I took of the Electronic version ...

Sorry I don't have a pic' of the back ... :(

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 pm

The best option for doing the sports dash conversion is using the main wiring loom for the doner car. I looked at doing this to mine and got some of the parts to do it but it got put on hold.
Cars: 02 Subaru Outback
85 Subaru RX Turbo Coupe (sold)
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

Bantum
General Member

Wiring ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Here is a pic' of the wiring loom I took out from a Electronic version ...

The bundle at bottom of pic' might be of interest ... ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 pm

When I did Sunnie's sports dash conversion I only used the wiring from behind the dash that came with the sports instrument cluster - everything else from memory was plug and play. I don't recall if the indicator plugs were different in colour, but it rings a bell - but they were the same shape.

This was a 1984 touring wagon's "sports" dash into a 1989 brumby... I think the tacho is out a bit but we're not fussed about that.

Sorry BB that it's taken me this long to get around to finding/answering your thread!

Hope all this helps,

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Sorry lads for taking so long to reply (been very busy so no car time :( ), I really appreciate the info.

In our desperation we put back the original dash just to get it on the road. I am actually really glad as it was handy having the dash work for testing. Now we can drive it around for a while then do the dash conversion as a separate job so it can be done properly. Will definitely be taking this advice for when we do the change
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Return to “Subaru Chat”