Who has MY/Brumby with intermittent wipers?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

Who has MY/Brumby with intermittent wipers?

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I am looking for someone who has the factory intermittent wipers to ask a huge favour of.....

Just need to remove lower under dash panel, three screws, one corner of fuse panel, middle, other end and the clips to get access

Under the dash panel is a grey plastic box 50mm x 50mm x 25mm called Mitsuba wiper control.

It has six male spade terminals, with two empty positions making 8 total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am asking contortionists first to feed me some info on the state of each wire in ign off, ign on, wipers on intermittent, wipers on low or high speed.

Should be plugged into a white plastic plug. Write better Jonno !

The relay unit plugs into this white plastic plug that hangs from the loom to the right of the steering column on my 92 Brumby, the yellow bridging loop in the plug at the moment is the park function for the non int wiper, remove yellow wire plug with either int or std wiper switch fitted and the wipers stop anywhere on the windscreen whenever you switch off, plug yellow wire back in and they park at the bottom of the widscreen

The yellow loop bridges green/blue and yellow on the loom side plug.

I just removed loop plug (the park loop) , connected the relay and got:

with ignition on, the squirters operate continuously!! wipers work in low and high position, squirters work no park function,

in accessories wipers work on low and int at low speed, high on high speed, squirters work when asked to only.

I then shifted relay across in 8 pos plug so only four wires are connected and already forgotten what result I got !!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us bridging on the loom side

GTcompletepower reckoned that it was a simple plug and play - using the three position wiper switch, plug this baby into the spare blue plug on non intermittent models and there you have it ....

GTCP has The Brumbyshop and figure he'd know of most people how it was done. Maybe I need to snip another wire ??

I didn't recall the exact crap I got when I plugged this in but things were haywire - see above ^^ . Removed box and wipers are normal boring two speeders again.

Love some help

Jonno

ref:

showthread.php?t=14902&highlight=intermittent+wiper

showthread.php?t=15510&highlight=intermittent+wipers

Aw, search is good...

Bennie has put his hand up as to having this set up in Sunnie in this quote:

"We're lucky that the brumby already has intermittent wipers"

But can see he is busy with his daily driver on a rotissarie !!

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Yes, my 82 MY wagon has factory everything, (not mirrors though. available in 1982 ?)
I will try to have a look tomorrow but if not will not be till next weekend.
Do you need the info asap or is next weekend OK ?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I have one in my EA81T sedan but I have no idea which one the wires go to :confused:

I would suggest finding a workshop manual with the wiring diagram in it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Cliff - next weekend will be fine, or the one after that. This is a long term project stalled 18 months or more ...yet not forgotten ( keep getting tricked by the switch knob - first click is INT and there are none ! )

That'd be a better manual than the Gregories I have.

To be fair I need to hook the box up again to see what it did, what I get, have read of the others referred to above, white wire loop ??

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:30 am

an extract of a PM I sent a while back - jogs memory a bit

"there is only 05 volts or something in one or two wires at relay end, must be bridging something in there to operate the pissers

think standard wiper switch is 5 wires, intermittent has six?"

I thinkj the windscreen squirters ran continously on switch on with relay unit plugged in !

With relay unit disconnected, the wiper switch with int works fine on low, high and squirt and diddly squat in int position!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 am

found more notes:

In car is WHITE plug , 2 x 3 rows of female spades - think this is where I plugged the relay in, certain. So must be correct plug as it affects the operation of pissers...

yellow, black/blue , blue/green
blue ...., red.........., black

above needs confirmiing, can't understand my notes.

I have also written " yellow link is the earth return to screen bottom position
(gees, Jonno, it's called park position!) remove it (yellow link) on the wiper stops anywhere on screen.

wiper switch is blue plug same six pos plug BUT only 5 wires on std switch

Image,Image

std switch off, hi / lo & squirt at the switch plug itself

blue/white, green, yellow
*empty, red, blue

TBA on int wiper switch.

*empty position of the int wiper is blue/red

that white bold underlined does not show up too well on VB style, white background :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:40 am

wondering if there is more than one listing for an intermittent relay for Brumby / MY ??

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 am

To quote Dean... dfoyl

Bit more detail for you - yes, you need the wiper `can' as preno referenced. When I fitted to my Brumby (89 model) under the dash (take off the plastic panel that runs under the steering wheel, it has about 3-4 screws holding it and a plastic tab at the back (towards front of vehicle), there was a PINK plastic plug of about 6 terminals of which only 2 were wired (as a loop). Remove this pink plug and insert the wiper `can' into the mating plug. To remove the switch, pull the existing switch cover HARD away from the steering column. Undo the nut with a shifter, and you should be able to pull the existing plug out from underneath. Switch in your ex-sedan switch, push back into place, re-tighten nut, and then press the new switch cover firmly onto the switch shaft.
Test the wiper switch by turning ignition to ACC (quite possible your wiper `can' is faulty), if ok re-attach underdash cover and you're done.

Dean.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 am

Little wonder I gave up twice before !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

I have disconncted the wiper switch from harness to see if squirters still pump with ignition on, and they do , not a problem in the switches so no contortioning required with the wiper switch plug just yet.

Just trying to work out a way to show test results of the white plug with easy access through the OFF, ACC, IGN ON, Lo , Hi positions of the six poles of the white plug. Bear with me please....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Tested using a fancy but cheap and crude LED tester that hooks up t battery and changes the intensity of the LED green or red to indicate it found an earth , thus --- , power, assuming 12V as +++ , nil represents no connection result at all, not connected to power or earth in each mode.

If only I could make the sexy graphics Gannon manages to shove up here - this was a wordpad effort, print, photo, imageshacked but gives the drift I hope to prospective helpers :)

Oh, and those stray +++'s are meant for found with IGN ON and HI speed wiper position

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Got cranky and nearly bought these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-2-ISSPRO ... 587f45be16

but an enlargement on the destructions looked a bit suss and the age of the new old stock - delay module for vacuum controlled wiper speed switching for great great grand pa's horse and cart with a windscreen!!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 am

Well, here I am talking to myself out loud again.....

Surprise, surprise - my Gregory manual has a diagram for 80,81 , 83,84 and late utilities with intermittent wiper module on it !!

Made a comparison for the int module plug and find wire coloursa on my 92 ute correspond with those on diagram. Though my plug has two extra wires factory that may show on diagram further along the line - need another look

The std off/hi/lo and squirt switch has five wires, the int switch has a sixth wire - it is blue with red trace.

Thinking I should stop wasting time and buy a hella unit from the US$80 but perversion is driving me, (think that might be persistance :razz: ) to achieve initial result and find the cause.

Need to draw my own diagram of the lot.
It is odd that it takes IGN ON with all wiper switch functions off or disconnected for this module to drive the squirters, ACC ON does not drive squirters.
Even if I could set the module up with a battery and lots of wires and switches to make it at least click !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

Although Cliff has offered to look at his, his results may be disappointing due to 82 having a slight difference in wiring.

The difference seems to be that at int module wiring the blue wire on 84 and later goes to wiper switch and fuse box. On 82 diagram that blue wire only goes to wiper motor.

My beef is with the squirters.

I have installed after market dwell units before where ya snip the wire from switch to motor , join both to unit so when switch is off low works as normal, switch it on the dwell takes over. As it is not adjustable on factory unit, I may be thinking wrongly about how it should work wire wise....

Just need someone to look under their dash to see and tell or take pic of their grey box just to the right of the steering column

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:08 pm

well, studying the Gregories manual diagram for 84 MY and late utes, first edition 1987 four of the six wires I have are the same as the diagram - leaves me with two differently coloured wires in the scene and two others that come out from the back of the white plug for the intermittent module that are also not on the plan !!

the two terminals in the middle of the grey box connect on my diode tester, think if i just bridge the two corresponding terminals in the plug, i will get same boring result - squirts on IGN on

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Sorry, Dean, I might have misled you on the colour, the box is grey as in the pic above page one, the connector is white. None of what I see in your pics what i was looking for. Thanks for your efforts.
This has done my head in - severely !!

Four items in the loop:

washer motor - looks easy, did not compare car to book
wiper motor - wires are same - book & car

wiper switch , wires differ from book, to switch to switch,
so three wiper washer switches for MY Brumby ??

and the intermittent box, car wires different to book

Of the six wires from the wiper switch, four connect to the int box, two directly with no other junction with any other wire in the book, two others have junctions off elsewhere, the other two wires, one goes to the wiper motor, the other to earth. You'd think it was easy. I have drawn my own diagrams and lists and compared and wasted far too much time and suspect Fujis engineers designed it so if you hook this old box into a 92 Brum the pissers will go nuts as soon as you turn ignition on - just to let you know it won't work !!

my in car loop on the white plug is between the bottom rows two outers - it is a constant loop for earthing the park of the wipers. The same constant loop of the int box are the centres top and bottom row.
I could assume that to hook those two middles to the two lower outers to achieve park is a start - then four more wires to guess and link - each with a fused wire linking the terminals across from int box to car loom

I can see something going awfully wrong if i continue to tinker with this - smell something burning ??

All for - wait for it - fixed interval intermittent wiper function. The Hella kits that sell for a ship load here are what I call affordable in the US and they are variable from memory.

That is the way I will go in good time.
I will keep unit to try with an earlier model. Meaning I will need to pull the intermittent wiper switch from my dash - and um, whoever suggested in another post that to remove it from below without removing the dash pod - mate ! there is just enough room for wires NOT the switch.

Thanks for your efforts Dean. Anyone else, sorry for the long read and waste of bytes. My advice is - 92 Brumby - forget it with genuine bits!!

Jonno, signing out

CLOSED

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm

closed

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 am

Got it all sorted , variable delay too !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 am

Probably lost the big readership on this one by now, but now even curiouser as to those without intermittent, yet to duplicate my modification above :), wondering what sort of link loop you have on this white 2 row of three plug under the dash, mine loops bottom row two outers

Return to “Subaru Chat”