2007 rusting? Respray or overhaul?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
AshvD

2007 rusting? Respray or overhaul?

Post by AshvD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

Hi there,

I've been searching the forums for a while however havent' seen anything.

My 2007 Subaru Liberty B-Spec (Pearl color) has 2 tiny rust spots on each side of the roof next to the windscreen and about 3-4 rust spots along the edge of the boot next to the rear windscreen, on the metal not paint, These being about 1/5th of a 5cent piece each.

Since it is so new I don't know why it is rusting however I only bought it two years ago and in Perth we had that huge hail storm in 2010 so perhaps there was a dodgy respray back then, I'm not sure.

My main question is what are my options in regards to respraying or repairing. I love the car and wouldn't want to do a quick-fix and pass the problem onto someone else however I hear that pearl is one of the most difficult and expensive colors to respray, should I just respray the whole car a different/easier color or get the boot and roof panels sprayed and pray that the pearl matches the rest? I have a spray painter friend so the labor would be cheap it's just the cost of materials.

thanks for anyone's advice.

Ash

Bungers

Post by Bungers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Let your mate take the boot back to bare metal where its affected by rust, and repaint the whole boot. Simple.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

What has your mate said about being able to match the paint?

From what I've seen with pearls you will find it difficult to hide the blend line (where the old & new paints meet).

Not really sure why its rusting so soon though...Does it have mud, gunk, etc built up in the corners? Whatever you do make sure you treat the rust thoroughly or it will just come back!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

AshvD

Post by AshvD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:56 pm

That's the main issue she has said, blending it. The boot isn't a huge issue as it's not huge and I wish that was all that had rust on it however she has said to do a good job of it she would have to do the entire roof and the arm-type-things that go down the sides next to the front and back windows as the rust that popped up could pop up elsewhere if she doesn't do the entire panel.

Thats why I thought if Pearl is so difficult would it be less expensive just to do an entire repaint with a cheaper alternative.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm

AshvD wrote:That's the main issue she has said, blending it. The boot isn't a huge issue as it's not huge and I wish that was all that had rust on it however she has said to do a good job of it she would have to do the entire roof and the arm-type-things that go down the sides next to the front and back windows as the rust that popped up could pop up elsewhere if she doesn't do the entire panel.

Thats why I thought if Pearl is so difficult would it be less expensive just to do an entire repaint with a cheaper alternative.
Do you mean the pillars?

Pearl isnt hard to do, just hard to repair/match/blend. If you repaint the entire car its only a problem if the rust comes back or you have to do any other repair
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

AshvD

Post by AshvD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:19 pm

yeah that's right, pillars, sorry.

Well I really do, as I said, love my car, as I love most subarus. So perhaps I'll just get the roof, pillars and boot done and just deal with the lack of matchingness if it happens.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Hopefully she can do a good job matching the paint...hope it works out well & keep us informed ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

i have pearl paint on my liberty

bought it crashed so i had no option but to respray panels and was quite surprised how well it matched

the color was arctic blue pearl and we used lesonal paint
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

Any more news AshvD?
mattl200 wrote:i have pearl paint on my liberty

bought it crashed so i had no option but to respray panels and was quite surprised how well it matched

the color was arctic blue pearl and we used lesonal paint
Good to hear. It can be difficult to match paints like pearl so I bet you're happy :mrgreen:

spike wrote:[img][IMG]http://thumbnails62.imagebam.com/17052/ ... 515854.jpg[/img][/IMG]

pics fail me........
Crikey! What happened there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:42 pm

looks like its had an acco and replacement black panels have been put on and never painted!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 pm

its different ill give it that.
if you look close they've painted the lower parts of the panel. And i was under the impression those panels were aluminium.

but seriously if youve got the money to have a current model seriously

Return to “Subaru Chat”