What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 am

I made coil over mounts for the brumby from a bit of 50mm box. This will let me use l series top mounts with Mazda mx5 shocks and 2.5" lowered springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sun May 22, 2016 9:20 am

mrwalker500 wrote:I made coil over mounts for the brumby from a bit of 50mm box. This will let me use l series top mounts with Mazda mx5 shocks and 2.5" lowered springs
Thankyou for not calling them 'Miata' shocks.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

Miata must be some type hairdresser jargon in the US?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 22, 2016 11:28 am

he coulda called them Lexus Roadster - think that is what they came in as grey imports :)

pitscars007

Carby hair tearout

Post by pitscars007 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:42 pm

My 82 sportswagon - noticed the vacuum advance was blocked in the carby - easy fix !! WRONG !! - managed to unblock the venturi (three hours later) ok alls good - got the carby back on - then the motor would randomly stall but would restart ok - carby off again for thorough clean and check - same problem - cant be the carby - new rear fuel filter - no - condenser on distributer - no - coil - no - vacuum leak - no ---- ok then - different carby off 89 Brumby (different in SO many ways) two days later its running ok but not the same as it was - will NOT start first go - always second try (WTF) ?? a bit hesitant on acceleration - had enough for now - at least I can get around !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 22, 2016 10:10 pm

OK, so it was fine before you fixed it ? Having found more blown out vac can diafragems than good ones , wondering if you are sucking raw air via the dizzy cavity making a lean start condition? I have had it the other way boost pressure feeding gas vapours into the dizzy, catch a spark from the rotor to contacts and KABOOM ! It ran better blocked or with a new vac can.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am

might have to try an exchange on those timing belt covers .. I have an L Series EA82 carb likely need a rebuild, but it would be a spare parts starting point if the intake bolt pattern is same, or whole inlet man swap ?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun May 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Removed hand-brake to have it welded up - my bolted-together Forester/Brumby hybrid handbrake is flexing too much so need to get a couple of MIG weld through it.

Cleaned up the scrap wiring left behind by auto electrician.

Still need to clean up rest of loom wiring, fix EFI fuel pump noise, plastic-weld up a CAI box from the EJ intake to the front drivers-side headlight area, find a more suitable radiator overflow tank, clean up dash, refit pass-side seat and trim, repair and replace tailgate, change over chrome bed trim, and then give it a good wash!
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Sun May 29, 2016 8:18 pm

I don't post much, but - when I bought my wagon the bonnet release cable was broken and the previous owner had replaced it with a piece of baling wire, leaving a coil of it where the handle used to be to open the bonnet. This eventually broke off and I was forced to use a pair of pliers on what was left of the wire every time I needed to open the bonnet ... I finally got tired of that and ordered a new cable, and fitted that on Saturday. I can open the bonnet easy now - happy days! :-)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:58 pm

dfoyl wrote: Cleaned up the scrap wiring left behind by auto electrician.
That doesn't sound good mate! What wiring did they leave for you to play with, anything really nasty?

WRXpc - I feel your pain mate! Ruby Scoo still sports a modified coat hanger release system that boycotts the cable setup - still there even with the replacement cable!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Nothing nasty, just random wires left on the floor, and extras (eg. tacho, CEL) tucked behind dash. I'd still like to have a CEL hooked up, one less error to be thrown - already have a spot on the dash for it, where the old choke cable went on earlier models (covered up by a rubber bung on the later years when they went to an auto choke). Just need to find a suitable panel-mount LCD so I don't have to elongate the hole.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Ah yeah, I thought you meant they'd left you with more work to do!

In other news I can't drive Ruby Scoo until I pay her rego :( And I'm still yet to check my rear bearings for wear as I'm now wondering if these are also contributing to the odd tyre wear...

Cheers

Bennie

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 am

The MY passed its 34th year of rego checks :)

Pitty the Suzuki Grand Vitara didn't :( (my daily driver but this is another story)

Bennie

Rego is a killer.
The MY wagon runs out on the 6th June.
With the rego check done I now need $399 for the green slip and about $300 for the rego.
I cant find better than the $399 for the green slip and this is only as we have heaps of other insurance with NRMA so they offer the lowest green slips.
The MY is my "hobby" car and not my daily driver so in years to come I still hope I can afford to run it.

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 pm

El_Freddo wrote: WRXpc - I feel your pain mate! Ruby Scoo still sports a modified coat hanger release system that boycotts the cable setup - still there even with the replacement cable!
Bennie
I forgot - new fan belts two weeks ago too! :-)

Still need: wheel bearings, CVs, roof lining, seat fixing, spot lights wired up, CD wired up ... sigh.

Cheers,

Wrxpc

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Had some spare time to get back to fixing up minor things on the Brumby. Refitted the modified Brumby/Forester handbrake after adding a few more bolts attaching the two parts. Searched through the garage finding screws to replace those that had mysteriously vanished while at the electrician's (one from slanted stereo console, one from under dash lip meeting passenger side parcel tray, 2 of the 3 from parcel tray), wiped out all the dust under the pass-side door edge (where the fuel lines run), refitted the trim that covers it, refitted the pass-side seat. Dropped one of the four special, short screws that hold the gearlever boot to the centre console and can't find it :( Fitted the centre caps (after-market Subaru badged) to the Audi TT wheels. Adjusted the 4wd lever so it doesn't bottom out on the floor when in 2wd.
Still waiting for my CEL to arrive from China, so I can wire it in and also plug the hole in the dash (choke hole). Need to pick up some circlips to attach the handbrake shroud (had replaced the perished plastic with leather, but it's held in with two rows of circlips), find that fourth missing screw for the centre console, and then refit the entire centre console.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Compiled my custom long travel struts.
Attachments
DSC_1297.jpg
DSC_1297.jpg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

AusTas75

L series to outback unwanted change

Post by AusTas75 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Well I had been doing up an old L series, 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift, Weber Carby and heaps of other stuff to much to list. Regrettably I got bogged last weekend and had to leave the old girl stuck in the mud 3 hours of walking latter I had just got home and my phone rang and I was told that my car had been set alight. Unfortunately for me I was not insurred not that I think it would of been covered anyway. Went back the next day and the old girl was a pretty sad sight. So I thought about getting another L series but I spotted a 1998 subaru outback forsale on Gumtree for $550 body and interior in good condition elctric sunroofs only problem was the previous owner had cooked the engine. So I started removing bits of the old engine today taking photos of everything I touch. And this one is insurred lol

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:19 pm

G'day AusTas - that seriously sucks balls. I'd cry, insurance or not! Love my L!!!

The Outback sounds like a good deal - start a build thread so we can watch the progress of your new offroader ;) Then you can ask as many build related questions as you need/like.

Is this an EJ22 or EJ25 outback? (I can't remember if the GenII came with an EJ25 or not...)

Cheers

Bennie

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:05 am

Yeah it was sad to see especially after putting so much time in to her. Getting her to were she was was helped by your thread on Rubyscoo. Going back out to the old girl monday to see if I can salvage the lift kits off her but I think it would be stripped by now.

Deffiently will start a new thread on the outback build

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:51 am

Bennie it is A EJ25D

Return to “Subaru Chat”