The great headlight debate...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm

i wouldnt be bothered if my lights were illegal or not... their gunna bust you for the lift and tyres before the lights

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

This should get you out of trouble.

Ive only shown the left hand wiring and left the right hand as original to show how it was. You should also pick up a feed for the lights from a new fuse and disregard the cars original light fuse
Attachments
headlights.JPG
headlights.JPG (83.7 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:34 am

thx Gannon. i will try to decipher this lol.

sorry 2b a pain but would you have complete before & after wiring diagrams? from other diagrams iv seen the right & left sides are wired differently! i'm having a lot of probs getting my head around this "different" wiring system!

Have you had any problems with the high beam indicator light as i hav heard of so many ppl having probs wth high beam not switching off & the indicator light never turning off.

Also, can u identify the wires going into the H4 connectors for me?
they are as follows:
LHS: yellow/red; red; red/blue
RHS: yellow/red; red/black; blue/white.

many thx,
matt

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:15 am

Ok, I'll mock up another wiring diagram this afternoon after I get home from work.

The colours are already on the wires in the above diagram.

LW = Blue/white
R = Red
YR = Yellow/red
RL = Red/blue
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:54 pm

thx Gannon,
Ok, i think i undrstnd ur diagram...i think lol. But im still pretty nervous cos iv heard of heaps of disasters like no switchng between high/low, indicator light stayng on, etc, when this has bn attempted. & once i start its not like i can just undo it lol.

Got a quote from auto elec...$460!!! haha...yeah right, lol.

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am

has anyone thought of fitting a set of projecter lenses for an l series?

if so what brand and model of car headlights could you fit in a lseries?
1990 L series wagon Ej22

i didn't realize this image was so large :-O

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 am

Look for that link to the vid of a fella doing his L lenses, removed, ground it from inside to smooth clear circular for the projector to fit behind and SHINE

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:36 pm

last celtic warrior wrote:I'm glad somebody could shine a light on this dilema. Hopefully all's sorted now the path has been well lit. Sorry, just some "light" hearted humour... :D
Love it :)

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 am

steptoe wrote:Look for that link to the vid of a fella doing his L lenses, removed, ground it from inside to smooth clear circular for the projector to fit behind and SHINE
Post #32 in here I think.

Anyway, here's the link again: HID projector retro fit into stock L series headlights

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:48 am

nachaluva wrote:thx Gannon,
Got a quote from auto elec...$460!!! haha...yeah right, lol.
Had some driving lights wiring into a SH Forester- relayed off the hi-beams, with extra on/off switch, separate fuse and bullet terminals for the light wires (easy connect/disconnect) for approx $165 (labour only- I supplied the bits), about 1.5hrs. All works correctly.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 pm

After much staring at Gannons wiring diagram, plus others i have found, i've come up with a schematic that i'm confident will work (famous last words lol).

I'll be using a relay for battery positive triggered by light switch, 1 relay for each of low & high beam (earth) controlled by dip switch, & another relay for driving lights, run off high beam & dash mounted switch.

When i get it done i'll take a photo of my lights loom...if i can work out how to post photos...i'm still doing something wrong lol :confused:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Have you thought about the extra heat created by the higher wattage lamps? I'd imagine it would have a detrimental effect on the polycarbonate light housings.

Why dont you buy some Phillips Xtreme +100% bulbs and stick them in, I will be very soon.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Philips-H4-X ... Made-Cheap

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 am

Its a '98 forester so has glass lens so thats fine. I'l be using bakerlite connectors so they dont melt. Only thing im worried about is the reflector but really i think will be fine.

I wanted to do this on my AU falcon but polycarbonate lens :(

Those Phillips do look pretty good tho....

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 am

nachaluva wrote:After much staring at Gannons wiring diagram,
...my head started to spin. How difficult they can make 12V, switches and lamps! :shock:
nachaluva wrote: When i get it done i'll take a photo of my lights loom...if i can work out how to post photos...i'm still doing something wrong lol :confused:
Good luck with your wiring! As for photos, if you place them on photobucket.com (you'll need to create yourself an account and then upload them- easy to do) then photobucket will give you a link you can copy 'n' paste into your posts for image display. In fact, you just click the link to copy it. And you can still link to 'private' images. You'll need the [noparse]"[img].....[/img]"[/noparse] tag. I look forward to 'em! :cool:
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:16 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:...my head started to spin. How difficult they can make 12V, switches and lamps! :shock:
Yes it did!!! :shock:

It would be so much easier if subies were wired normally but apparently this way increases efficiency...not quite sure why. Its how they get away with such tiny diameter wire.

Steptoe was kind enough to send me a PM explaining how to do it,,,it still seems complicated but i will give it a go.

What i would also like to do is post my wiring diagram (provided it works lol) to help others with the same prob but i dont know how Gannon does them on the computer. Mine are just hand-drawn.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm

I use MS paint

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Gannon wrote:I use MS paint
ok i'll give it a go... :???:

OKsubaru

Post by OKsubaru » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:48 pm

MS Paint eh? Is that a standard thing in a Windows equipped PC or free download or something extra to buy and download?
:)

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 pm

standard its in Accessories
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Subarubrumbyfan1991

Post by Subarubrumbyfan1991 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

i doubt if this is any help, but i have a 91 brumby, and it had sealed beam headlights, n i blew the high beam, just as dad put new lights in his cruiser, so i took the original factory lights out of a 80 series landcruiser, plugged straight in and fit perfectly. and they are so much brighter than the sealed beam lights that were in it before. they are also 100% legal. they arent as bright as HID lights but they do the job really well.

Return to “Subaru Chat”