Forum upgrades

Look for help topics on Forum related issues here ...
TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 pm

sammynb wrote:Can I suggest maybe quick link buttons for the post/reply window?
So a button for photos which then wraps your url to your photobucket or whatever image hosting site people use in .
One for url links, a quote window, etc, etc

Similar to this english football board.
If you look at the quick link buttons from left to right. Bold; Italics; Underline; Font; Emoticons; Url; Images; Email; Quote.

is that an invision pro board (IVP) as the Vbulletin boards work a little differently to them and Im not sure if those options are available, if they are yes please bring them on

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

sammynb

Post by sammynb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm

It is an IVP.

The biggest problem I see the current Vbulletin board is that there isn't even a text list of functions and unless someone knows that or [ quote ][ /quote ], etc, are the commands for that specific function then they are in the dark on how to utilise it.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 pm

El_Freddo wrote: I'd also like to thank all the moderators for the effort they put into this forum, I have no idea of the work load but I'm sure it keeps them on their toes every time they log in to the forum. Here's to you guys!

Cheers

Bennie
Have to concur with Bennie on this - without this ongoing donation of goodwill and time the site is nothing.

Agree with the FS reverting to a thread system with a strict template system.

I know one must donate a gold coin to post in FS, but how about a donation (say $5) to join? Might keep the spambots out(?), as well as the numpties that come in to troll?

Thanks again

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 pm

sven '2' wrote:Have to concur with Bennie on this - without this ongoing donation of goodwill and time the site is nothing.

Agree with the FS reverting to a thread system with a strict template system.

I know one must donate a gold coin to post in FS, but how about a donation (say $5) to join? Might keep the spambots out(?), as well as the numpties that come in to troll?

Thanks again

Sven
have to second that

numpties :grin: :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 pm

FROG wrote:have to second that

numpties :grin: :-D

Thats a good idea but i think it would be better to allow them a time limit, Say you join and you have a week or two. and if you like the site you have then to pay to keep using. Not sure if it can be done.

I also don't like the for sale section, maybe it could be more like rslib or perthWRX where its all listed. Perth WRx now also has a little pic that allows you to display your item. And the for sale threads are great as you can post questions, reply etc and post like on a normal threads. You can also ' bump' your thread up:)
one of them allows only one bump per day or something like that.

Anyway in all im very happy with the VBstyle of the forum and sometimes, simple is better:)

Also Like i sent you in a pm.
i'd like to, if possible, move my build threads to the Restorations and build ups section?

Have the following under GUYPH

showthread.php?t=13992
showthread.php?t=18261
showthread.php?t=15121

It would be very cool if you could

Or move them to your new garage section:)
Thx
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I've seen other vBulletin websites like City-Data, where you can load pictures directly from your computer, no need for "photobucket."

More smilies would be nice.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:22 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Thats a good idea but i think it would be better to allow them a time limit, Say you join and you have a week or two. and if you like the site you have then to pay to keep using. Not sure if it can be done.
I was working on the 'if you buy something you are more likely to value it' principle.

For example, you are unlikely to pay a nominal fee to register and argue why it should be allowed to drive intoxicated; on your Ps; reach 185 kph and crash; then debate that the police are pricks; the insurance companies are rip-off merchants; and how unfair the world is...

An exaggeration I know, but is a combination of several numpty threads of late!

Either option has to be balanced against the volunteer nature of site administration, which again, I am sure (insert the royal 'we') are thankful for.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

SubieMad

Post by SubieMad » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Why is everyone a NEW MEMBER? Could we perhaps have this updated to reflect length of membership :rolleyes:

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Colours are very important for branding. You should find a good set of colours that work well together and are easy to read on and stick with them.

Live chat is very bad for forums, because you'll have many people discussing things which won't be easily archived. So your "knowledge database" will take a hit and you won't be found in Google as easily. Which equals less visits, less members, less everything.

I would have a lot less categories. As a browser of this forum I just could not be bothered to click on every "workshop" category...
Subaru chat should be incorporated into "off topic" and a troubleshooting board. Contact a Moderator and Forum Help really are the same thing, or at least with the amount of activity on this forum they should be.
Product Reviews could really be a sticky thread.
Communication and Navigation... well just post those sorts of things in off topic.
Sandbox can be part of "forum help".
Fishing can be in off topic.

But yeah, honestly the activity here is not enough to push post off the page in categories within a couple of days. Hell, some boards here have posts from 2006 on the first page!

My 2 cents.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 pm

I am tapatalking. Works well

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am

Still progressing although very slowly. I do have a separate trial forum up and running on a different domain. It is taking quite a while as I am setting up a complete new member tier system. I have done a trial import of the posts, users and categories etc from this forum and all worked perfectly.

The new colours are clean and crisp but totally different to any of these styles. I think most will like it and some won't. Can't please every one all the time though.

When it comes time to do the migration I will get members to move over to a slightly new url for the forum. This way I know it will be running perfectly as soon as you start to use it. I will then set up a redirect on this forum to the new address. EG instead of it being http://ausubaru.com.au it may become http://ausubaru.com.aus. I am not sure what I will make it yet but that doesn't really matter at this stage.

There will be changes made to the subscription service we have now. I will be creating a few different options. The basics are
Moderators - full read/write access to all areas.
Guests - limited access. Need to log in as general member to gain more access.
General Members - more access but no trade permission. No charge
Premium members - special benefits to be announced. Small fee - will be worth it.
Private trader - trade permission but limited access. This is for people that just drop by to sell some stuff and then they are gone. Small fee/limited time frame
Retail trader will be given a special package that is yet to be finalized. Set fee for set time frame.

Don't worry, it is not going to change any thing for most of the users we have now. It is just a restructuring of the current system to give more benefits to the people that have put in more already. The bulk of the forum will still be just as it is now.

I won't be adding more smilies. There is more than enough now for you to get your point across.

Attachments will be displayed with the post but will not be in the text area. They will be directly below. They will upload directly from your hard drive to the gallery hosted on our server with a simple browse/select button. I don't think I can import the current gallery we have now. If there is images on there you don't want to lose then I suggest you start downloading them. I will be doing as much as I can to bring them across but at this stage it is not looking good.

The live chat thing was tongue in cheek. I have never liked the idea although it has been suggested on a number of occasions. I figure if you want to chat then use text, facebook, msn or the like.

Pruning and streamlining of the forums is a must. We won't lose any thing of value.

I will be trying to tie our wiki in to the board in some manner as well.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:01 am

this all sounds very good mate.

keep up the good work and i look forward to the upgraded boards!

cheers

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well being a new member here I didn't see this thread about the upgrades and started my own about the chatroom. Also I went into my user account and found the subscription so yea I paid for the max and I am happy to do it.

For now if you guys want I can setup an irc chat and we can guage how popular a chatroom addition can be. If needed I can do a tutorial on setting up a IRC client to connect to the room.

Regards Bryan

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Alex wrote:this all sounds very good mate.

keep up the good work and i look forward to the upgraded boards!

cheers

alex
Agreed
73 Yamaha DT3 250

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 am

Hi Brett

Can we change the general discussion section in the club section to club chat please

Sounds good great work

Can i call around some time and have a chat about the club site?

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

Dann

Post by Dann » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 pm

hey just popping in again, dunno if this is possible or too much like facebook, but it would be good if there was like a notification bar that tells you if someone has replyed after your comment. Because me personally in my 18 years of old age haha seem to forget that I posted something asking/replying to someone and don't review the post til the next time I spot it and it clicks, just a thought :)
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Dann wrote:hey just popping in again, dunno if this is possible or too much like facebook, but it would be good if there was like a notification bar that tells you if someone has replyed after your comment. Because me personally in my 18 years of old age haha seem to forget that I posted something asking/replying to someone and don't review the post til the next time I spot it and it clicks, just a thought :)
Dann, In your user control panel (CP) you can set it to have an email sent to you when ever there is a new post since your last visit to alert you to a reply. This means that there may be more replies but there is at least one for you to view and maybe reply to ;)

I like the direction that these forum changes are headed!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dann

Post by Dann » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:25 pm

haha oh silly me :P
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 am

Or find a post by yourself, click you name, click post by user and look at the ones with the new posts icon...
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

I like it the way it is... i use this more than facebook

Return to “Forum Help Area”