SUBARU RX MY99/00 for first car?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Subaruzza

SUBARU RX MY99/00 for first car?

Post by Subaruzza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 am

I'm in Australia, Victoria.

I was thinking about the Subaru WRX MY99/00 for my first car.

The WRX is turbo, though not many turbo cars are allowed to be driven by P plates in Victoria, so I'm thinking about the RX instead which is not turbo.

My question is, is the RX much different to the WRX?
Is it worth getting, or should I not get the RX MY99/00 and wait until I'm off my P plates then just get the WRX MY99/00?

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 am

The RX is a very safe, well balanced car that would a new driver perfectly.

The WRX is the opposite in the hands of a new driver. That is why there is legislation preventing younger drivers accessing these cars.

You will not be able to insure the WRX.

Buy the RX, do an advanced driving course or two, and enjoy your freedom safely.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Gremlins

Post by Gremlins » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Subaruzza wrote:
My question is, is the RX much different to the WRX?
Good words of advice from Sven2 there, but just for the record, there is a big difference in get up and go between a RX and a WRX.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm

You should move to W.A then you could have a WRX or even STI. No laws like that here. You can have what ever you want :cool:

I chose an N/A 4cylinder car though only so I don't kill myself. If I had a WRX then I would be wrapped around a tree :eek: Still on my Green P's and have about 10months left to go.

But for a 2.0l my Forester goes ok. Its not the quickest but it will do 200km/hr top speed, and 0-100 in about 11seconds. It an offroad car for me though so of course its not ment to be quick ;)

Sounds good too for an N/A, just took the muffler off and got a straight pipe put on.

Get the RX, you'll still enjoy it then when you get off your P's and get a WRX you will be an experience driver to rally it around without crashing :mrgreen:

Taza

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

There is 1 or 2 MY's (model years) of WRX's that P Platers can drive due to the power to weight ratio.
Can't remember what years exactly, but have a search thru the wrx.com.au forums as a few have gotten around it.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 am

Don't some Imprezza's come with a 2.5 NA motor? Surely they'd be half decent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 am

01 - 05 RS Impreza's had the EJ251 and go pretty well.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 pm

bobbyjimmy wrote:There is 1 or 2 MY's (model years) of WRX's that P Platers can drive due to the power to weight ratio.
Maybe in the ACT... In vic anything that's a v8 or a performance turbo is out of the question!

Taza - how do you know your foz will do 200km/h?? I'm sure that will wrap you around a tree better than just driving a WRX would!
And if you're looking at your speedo's last digit does this mean my L series could do 200km/h? I doubt it - and if it did I wouldn't want to be in it!!!

The RX should be a great starter for a P plater. Just don't try to drive it like a WRX or you'll find yourself replacing/rebuilding engine more frequently than you'd like to know about!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:35 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Taza - how do you know your foz will do 200km/h?? I'm sure that will wrap you around a tree better than just driving a WRX would!
And if you're looking at your speedo's last digit does this mean my L series could do 200km/h? I doubt it - and if it did I wouldn't want to be in it!!!

The RX should be a great starter for a P plater. Just don't try to drive it like a WRX or you'll find yourself replacing/rebuilding engine more frequently than you'd like to know about!
The end of the speedo goes upto 240km/hr, the car will do 200... Just :rolleyes:
Yes Bennie, I tried it on a really long straight road. I just had to know what it would do. Did 200km/hr at about 5800-5900rpm. (Redlines at 6200). I have only done it the once when I first got it and would never do it again. Oh just to let you know I was alone in the car only putting myself at risk, I think I even have a photo doing 185 somewhere :???:

The fastest I ever go now is about 140 tops when overtaking road trains and the likes.

I agree with you there about the RX being a good starter car. Any N/A subie is really.

Taza

handsofakiller

Post by handsofakiller » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 pm

i got an RX for my first, 3 weeks on my P's and i've ridden it off...
GO FOR IT! :)

Haha i'm just joking (not really, that did happen), its the best car i've ever driven. if you don't go for it straight away, get a really bad bomb-of-a-car, you will appreciate the RX that much more. i've been driving a 25 year old holden around since my crash and i'm about to buy another RX.. :)

and yeah i had a 00' RX, got it to 150 on about 4000rpm and decided i valued life so i slowed down. not that you should try, but apparently impreza's have good high end rev power.. i reckon you could beat taza's 200km/h ;)

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm

handsofakiller wrote: i reckon you could beat taza's 200km/h ;)
Even with a smiley face, not the attitude we want to project on this forum, esp for new drivers.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 pm

^ Yep agreed. Also the impreza RX has the smae EJ20 as my forester, just the Foz is less areo-dynamic.
I highly recommend not trying it. I definitely wouldn't do it with a liftkit installed either!
Oh and if you try it your car might end up like Sven2's old turbo L.... smashed into a pole.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am

taza wrote: I highly recommend not trying it. I definitely wouldn't do it with a liftkit installed either!
Oh and if you try it your car might end up like Sven2's old turbo L.... smashed into a pole.
For the record not by its sensible owner - rather than a couple of disrespectful hoons that ruined what was a very well built subi by SA law standards too!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

handsofakiller

Post by handsofakiller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:51 pm

my bad, i was just joking. after my crash, i find the best way to move on from it is to make light of it. sorry

and in my defence.. you kind of quoted that out of context. i did say not to do it...

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

handsofakiller wrote:i got an RX for my first, 3 weeks on my P's and i've ridden it off...
GO FOR IT! :)

Haha i'm just joking (not really, that did happen), its the best car i've ever driven. if you don't go for it straight away, get a really bad bomb-of-a-car, you will appreciate the RX that much more. i've been driving a 25 year old holden around since my crash and i'm about to buy another RX.. :)

and yeah i had a 00' RX, got it to 150 on about 4000rpm and decided i valued life so i slowed down. not that you should try, but apparently impreza's have good high end rev power.. i reckon you could beat taza's 200km/h ;)
Even with a smiley face, not the attitude we want to project on this forum, esp for new drivers.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

Return to “Subaru Chat”