outback on gas ?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
khanacross

outback on gas ?

Post by khanacross » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:11 am

hi guys ,just a thought with fuel prices the way they are especially this weekend ,has anyone put there outback on lpg? or any subaru for that matter ... where did you put tank ? how did it run on gas performance wise ,any differance ? i have a 99 gen 3 outback .... any thoughts ? thanks khanacross

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 am

How can I resist? How did I get back in without needing to sign in again?

tests system now....

WOW...just had a thought....what if adding LPG to the Diesel DPF issue whether it would clean things up a lot and sort the issue??? Just a small bottle is required...

I run a few LPG Subies and would only go back to petrol if the task of the vehicle was heavy loaded driving or up lots of mountains with heavy load. I find that LPG tends not to like being under load all the time.

EA81 Brumby on dedicated LPG since 2002, another sits in reserve with rebuilt EA81 and hauls arse with no load, then there is the 4GLTA EA82T that also tends to work the boost light dragging a few hundred kilos of trailer up hills, so runs richer, generates more heat unlike petrol running richer cools the combustion process

Go vapour injected for better economy,same power, better self learning software, more up to date technology (liquid injection is the latest though) less componentry

Tank placement in front section of ute tray, gets in the way rarely, savings more than paid for trailer when more space is needed. The sedangets it in the boot, losing the ability to sleep in boot and rear seats yet gives a good cool hidey hole between seats and tank.Wagons of Subaru generally only get tank in rear of cabin, so smaller capacity bottle you teach self to refill more often and smile when you get whatever change or just spend small change on fuel :)
Also seen an MY wagon with tank in place of rear seats keeping weight really central. One litre of LPG has 80% energy of 'petrol' litre, yet weighs only 70% litre for litre

With old fogger vapour systems I have expect 15 to 20 increase in volume of fuel used. Mine uses 10 to 15% more. Vapour injection can be closer to just 10% more gas used

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm

LPG systems except new liquid injection , needs no fuel pump, one less thing to let you down, adds a fuel system to car so extra weight but not much, extra switch on dash, still subject to mild competition in fuel price and that shopper docket discount means bigger percent saving. Was great getting 4 cents off when it was 40 cpl !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:15 pm

many that run duel fuel agree car runs better torque on LPG. Dude that ran STi Brumby went for a run in my EA82T on dedicated gas commented that power delivery was very smooth throughout the range, sounded impressed with an old turbo on LPG.

newer systems start on petrol and switch automatically to LPG when engine op temp hits a temp set by programming install dude, so keep petrol systems in use without driver input. Some, if programmed can do LPG cold starts with hold down of LPG changeover switch but can run like a bitch until warm....

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

rather than having tank in back of wagon is there a donut tank to fit in spare wheel hole ? then carry a space saver spare ..... we do use the back to camp in and carry gear so dont really want a big tank in there making the area useless ... any thoughts? khanacross

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Yed, toroidal tanks can fit spare tyre wells, there is even the Ford territory styled one where the donut sits upright like a spare wheel carrier inside a Falcon runnin' on gas already - just can't stick 'em on a rack outside !! Donuts can be double the price of the cylindrical tanks so may add 400 or 500 to the price. Source secondhand but not very old can be a saving, say 18 month old or sumptin'

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Unless its either a gas or liquid injection system, I simply would not bother installing a vapour mixer because the gains will not be worth on a small engine.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Don't knock it 'til you tried it :)

Been amazed at some of the prices conversions have been done in Victoria. There is an insanely wide variety of systems available so price comparison is hard. There are even some very good Chinese sourced vapour injection kits that may not have been approved for use in Oz at early stage but are being bought and fitted by some. They use a version of software that instructs the installer when to do what when on petrol to self learn the gas tuning side and if need be enlarge vapour jets. certain these are in the country and being fitted at retail level. Very quick to set up once installed. Hard to get parts quickly if not stocked by installer in case you break a MAP sensor or the like.

Don't be fooled by size. Your donk ain't small. One tuner did his own son's Charade 1.3 litre and was surprised at how well it ran and 800km on its Falcon gas bottle jammed in the back.

A mate also has an old 91 or 92 Mazda 121 / Ford Festiva on LPG with same oversize bottle in its hatch. Pitched against my EA82T back when it was auto hanging onto 2nd gear it took me to 100kph before I got hold of it on the highway.Does over 600km on its bottle.

If you have the plastic intake manifold you must go vapour injection as a abckfire blows the chances of even driving on petrol

78sti

Post by 78sti » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:59 pm

My outback is on gas (2000 h6). It is just a vapor system and I would not do this again. Fuel economy is very bad on lpg. anywhere from 15 to 24 l/100km. But it is still cheaper to run than on petrol. I have had it back to the installer many times and this seems to be as good as they can get it. When they leaned it out it had no power.

But I think a sequential injection system would be a much better system.

My tank is a donut (60l) where the spare was and the spare is on the back.

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 pm

thanks for responses guys ,my outback is 2.5 auto same as "suparoo's" in his pic , ... 78sti what economy do you get on petrol compared to gas ? thanks khanacross

Return to “Subaru Chat”