L Series rack ends - adjust the free play??

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

L Series rack ends - adjust the free play??

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 am

Or do I need newies to fix the freeplay in my power steering unit.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

Jonno.. where abouts is the "free play"? because there is lot's of bits in the system that can do this.. little bit at each spot makes a lot at the steering wheel.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 pm

can see free play at um.... the rack end. Tie rods are good, ball joint at other side is up for renewal. Had it on me mates hoist, him under watching, while I jiggled wheel with long arm, also able to see. Neither of us know if there is adjustment in the rack end . I may still have the old rack to pull apart to inspect/play or borrow

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 am

Sounds like the inner tie-rods, or steering rack end. There is a ball/socket on the inner tie-rod that can wear out. If you remove the steering rack boots then you will be able to see it and confirm if that is where the movement is. New rack end costs about $35? Easy to replace too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 am

OKey dokey, so no adjustment in them then? Thanks, time to venture deep into the garden shed and pull that filthy spare power rack if it is still there to learn on it first.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Gees, I am cooking with these pic uploads :(

Notes are: Fit the 19mm open end spanner (toolzone by ALDI) BEFORE whacking the tabs back on the lock washer or you won't get spanner on shaft.

300mm adjustable wrench for the rack end, 19mm on the rack itself

Normal RH threads on both ends

Thread is same at other end where tie rod fits so nut too

Not too tight a fit so came undone pretty easy.

This is my old leaky rack that has nice rack ends to fit to my running beast.

Factory manual says to use NEW lock washers so off to see Subaru....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:11 pm

That's awesome Jonno! I'd seen this joint when cleaning up the PS unit thats in Ruby Scoo now, thought that they could be replaced but have not had the need to investigate it.

You are on fire with your image uploading! If you want to add your captions to the images there is a little dialog window that gives you all the different codes for different uses. I always use the forum code - it'll give you an image code [img] blah blah blah [/*img] without the * (added this to show the code). This allows you to add your text below each image once you paste the link into the "reply to topic" text window. By previewing your post, you'll be able to see the images with the text below them. This is how I've always done my imaging sharing once I worked it out. Hope you work it out if that's how you want to share them ;)

I'll give you a gold star for effort on that inner tie rod end :p

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but when you buy a new ball joint, does it come complete with the steering arm? I'm assuming that's why they can't be tightened or adjusted... because the ball is captive in the housing?

I went over an unexpected speed hump a bit hard the other day and it seems it was enough to ruin the inner ball joint... as I get a couple of mm of play and a bit of a heavy rattle when the steering is in a neutral position. Is it common for these joints to let go completely?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Dave72 wrote:Sorry for the stupid question, but when you buy a new ball joint, does it come complete with the steering arm? I'm assuming that's why they can't be tightened or adjusted... because the ball is captive in the housing?

I went over an unexpected speed hump a bit hard the other day and it seems it was enough to ruin the inner ball joint... as I get a couple of mm of play and a bit of a heavy rattle when the steering is in a neutral position. Is it common for these joints to let go completely?
When you say inner ball joint I'm guessing you're talking about the one on the steering rack? That ball joint would have to come with the tie rod as a unit. I've never seen or heard of these joints letting go completely but with enough wear and tear anything is possible.

Hope this is down the road you're on ;)

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:31 pm

a ball joint on all subies as far as I know are only lower outer. A new ball joint is just a housing and its taper with thread at the end for the nut. The rack ends I assume come just as you see - the thread of about 12mm length, that joint and then the length with thread at the end to meet up with tie rod

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 am

El_Freddo wrote:When you say inner ball joint I'm guessing you're talking about the one on the steering rack? That ball joint would have to come with the tie rod as a unit. I've never seen or heard of these joints letting go completely but with enough wear and tear anything is possible.

Hope this is down the road you're on ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Yes, it is the inner joint which the tie rod connects to (ie. the ball joint opposite to the tie rod end). I asked Repco for one and they said they don't sell the inner ball joints for the L-Series.... so I'm wondering if I should be asking for a tie rod or steering arm (assuming they are the same thing), a steering rack, or if I should just head to a wrecker and see what I can salvage.

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

Dave72 wrote:Yes, it is the inner joint which the tie rod connects to (ie. the ball joint opposite to the tie rod end). I asked Repco for one and they said they don't sell the inner ball joints for the L-Series.... so I'm wondering if I should be asking for a tie rod or steering arm (assuming they are the same thing), a steering rack, or if I should just head to a wrecker and see what I can salvage.
That'll be a tie rod end. The ball joint in it is pressed into the cast steel part that threads onto the rack end; they are replaced as an assembly. Available new from Repco or anywhere else.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 pm

call it a rack end and likely to get furtherr

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 pm

steptoe wrote:call it a rack end and likely to get furtherr
Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks heaps.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Just to make 100% sure, this pic (of Jonno's) is of the Tie Rod.. called this because it ties the steering rack to the suspension parts. The bit that joins the Tie Rod to the Wheel Bearing Hub is called the Tie Rod End (for obvious reasons) and the Ball Joint is the item that joins the Wheel Bearing Hub to the Lower Control Arm :) hope this helps ;)

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/dsc02127lr.jpg/
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 am

Just got off the phone with Bursons... same story, they only sell tie rod ends... not the tie rod itself. They'll sell me a steering rack for $700, but that's probably more than the car is worth!

It seems anytime I go for new parts, I draw a complete blank when I say "92 L Series 4WD wagon."

If anyone has a part number, that would be great.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:22 am

Dave72 wrote:Just got off the phone with Bursons... same story,
Don't go to bursons. Try your subaru dealership - they should have an old parts book that has diagrams with the various parts numbers for each item. If you manage to get in with them you might be able to get the part numbers you need and take you're business elsewhere. Even better - a photo copy of the steering rack assembly with the parts you need would do the job very well.

Burson's probably still won't have it or be able to get it either. You need to find a parts place that is interested in digging up these parts for you at a good price for your business. FROG on the forum here might be able to help you out ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am

I gave Subaru a try... they needed my VIN number to look it up, but at least found the part. Unfortunately there are none left in Victoria! But it would be $190.00 if they had one.

I'm gunna take some time off work and tour a few wreckers next week... hopefully there will be something useable out there.

I have to say, there's not much hope to keep these cars on the road in the future if we can't get such basic parts.

Return to “Subaru Chat”