Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Diesel OB

Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF

Post by Diesel OB » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the DPF on their Diesel Outback.

Our light came on today and before we could even get out of the town limits to perform a burn, the light began to flash. Car went to dealer and have been told they performed a manual regeneration.

My concern is that this may become an ongoing problem as I have heard there have been a few issues.

Just interested to know other peoples experiences.

Thanks Phil

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Faily new problem but has come up in some of the diesels.. no signs of serious damage yet.. best to make sure all your filters are clean and replaced when necessary :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

nicko

Post by nicko » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I've done 9,000 km in mine with no DPF issues but I do a 60km round trip to work & back which gives it enough time to burn anything out.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:08 pm

wifey has not had any problems with her TD forester, mind you her shortest trip to the shops she likes is 40km in a round trip.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Diesel OB

Post by Diesel OB » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Here is an Update!!

One week and about thirty kms after dealer did regeneration and changed oil and filter due to raised oil level, the DPF light came back on again. Straight back to the dealer and the filter tested as 85% blocked and the oil level was high again. The diagnoses said it had attempted to regenerate unsuccessfully on several occasions. They did another regeneration and dropped half a litre of oil out of it, but said the oil dilution was only at 1%. I am starting to wonder, since we never had an issue until the first service if it could be caused by overfilling and that is causing oil to be pushed past the rings and being deposited in the filter?
It goes back next week for them to do another diagnosis and compare the data and then contact Subaru to see what they are going to do.

Any thoughts or similar issues greatly appreciated.

Phil

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Does it have the right type of oil in it? Some other new diesels with DPFs are known to be very fussy with engine oil. Needs to be a very low ash, and probably low sulphur, oil i think.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Outbackbaby

Diesel Particulate filter

Post by Outbackbaby » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:03 pm

YEP - had same issue - when through a couple of regenerations - oil change etc.

Issue - was too many short trips using 5th & 6th gear. Not heating filter enough apparently to burn soot. So - been driving around in only 3rd and 4th around town keeping it around 1800 - 2000 rpm. Since then - no issues! Less economical around town (700km tank), but has been fine since. Only get good economy on long trips when I can sit on in 5th & 6th gear (1100km to tank).

Hope that helps!

Diesel OB

Post by Diesel OB » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:06 am

The issue first happend straight after a 1500 km round trip over a weekend to have service done.....don't think it is an issue with the driving habits as we reguly drive 200 km round trip to family......probably once a fortnight!

Phil

Outbackbaby

Post by Outbackbaby » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 am

Possibility that Subaru technician didn't reset DPF light. I was reading somewhere in the manuel that if they don't reset it or something it will come on giving false reading?

I just took it back about three time within a 2 weeks - they finally fixed whatever it was after a few regenerations. And my new driving habbits (stated earlier) have kept it fixed! Have not had any issues since? Just keep badgering Subaru - they need to source the problem!

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 am

Hi There,
I'm interested in what is being said about the Diesel Particulate Filter as I've just been told by Subaru that it is the source of some issues I'm experiencing in my Diesel Outback. The car has done 16,000 k's now but have been getting the issue somewhere between 5-10,000 k's. Basically what happens is the car 'shudders' (for want of a better word) - when doing between 1800-2100 rpm - mainly happens up inclines (but has also happened on flat road) and has happened in 3rd,4th,5th and 6th gears(but most commonly in 4th). Subaru initially told me that there are no known problems and that the engine was probably labouring - totally untrue as I can 'make' an engine labour but cannot make the shudder happen at will. So I started recording it every time it happened and presented Subaru with a list of every occurance over a month. They came back now and said we've heard of this before and it is the Diesel Particulate Filter (even though I've not had any warning lights). They hooked up the computer to it and said it had done 47 automatic regenerations since new but it didn't record an 'error'. So...they said to try and drive it at higher revs for a period of time (say 3rd Gear at 80k's). My running is approx 70k's a day to/from work and it is not stop/start driving - but max speed is 90kph. Taking a trip to Tassie next week so I'm hoping the highway driving down the Hume and then the hilly driving in Tassie might help the problem ? When the problem occurs all the passenger can feel the shudder through the car and feels like something is definitely wrong (or way out of balance) and make it very unpleasant to drive when it happens. Anyone had any similar experiences ?

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Dont know if you noticed my Boxer diesel injection pump thread ?......wondering if I have 2 issues now reading this. I have experienced a 'wobble / shudder' but only when the engine is idling at the lights not long after starting up. It's done it maybe 4 or 5 times that I can remember. (and its NOT the a/c pump kicking in / out either)
My friendly local Subaru main dealer is applying for a warranty exchange / new injector pump. I'll be watching for this wobble / shudder again once the new pump is in and fitted !
I'm going to phone the SMD now and get them to note to check the particulate filter when ozzie goes over there.... see how it goes.:)

Bring back the days of ' Bo££o(ks' to emissions eh ? Engines could be just that engines and not piece's of 'space age wizzardry!':rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:22 pm

GOD wrote:Does it have the right type of oil in it? Some other new diesels with DPFs are known to be very fussy with engine oil. Needs to be a very low ash, and probably low sulphur, oil i think.

Dane.
That's a very good point, some engines will log engine oil quality codes straight after an oil change with the wrong oil.

Personally, Electronic Diesels are time bombs - 5 injection pulses per engine cycle, dpf filter's require periodic re-generation. Soot buildup within the engine is a known issue.

As good as they drive, I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me.
Regards

Gary ;)

nicko

Post by nicko » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Doubtback

I get a similar issue. Mine is like two 'coughs' at around 100 kph which is normally 6th gear. Dealer said no signs of anything in the computer but it still keeps doing it. Seems always to be two.

Cheers

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am

nicko,

I'd be happy if mine just did two coughs...

After a trip down the Hume Highway and around Tassie we covered about 4500 k's. The problem happened at the beginning of the trip but after being driven at highway speeds for hours the problem has not reoccured until we retuned home and started doing shorter trips again. My concern is that this isn't a couple of seconds interuption but rather an event that requires you to change gears or accelerate to stop this shudder. It's disappointing. However, on the 1070 k's back from Melbourne it performed perfectly with 4 people and luggage on board the computer recorded 5.6l/100k which was impressive. Anyway, we're off to Queensland next week so expect it will like the long drive again. After we get back from Qld I'll go and have another chat with the dealer (not that it will make any difference).

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 am

I have exactly the same shudder probelm. Shakes your fillings out right?

It is driving me nuts, and I have had the same explanation, rev harder. I did and it shuddered harder. 5th and 6th at about 1900-2300rpm are my problem.

I am so glad I have finally found someone who can share my frustration. I have 5000km on the clock.

Barry1956

Post by Barry1956 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 pm

skipalami wrote:I have exactly the same shudder probelm. Shakes your fillings out right?

It is driving me nuts, and I have had the same explanation, rev harder. I did and it shuddered harder. 5th and 6th at about 1900-2300rpm are my problem.

I am so glad I have finally found someone who can share my frustration. I have 5000km on the clock.
That after 5,000km? Surely not 'fit for purpose' when sold. I would want replaced with a petrol one!

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 am

I wish it was that easy. A 3.6L Auto premium would be sweet. All in all though, the Diesel is great, it just has this nagging bug which defies explanation.

When I calculate it out it effects me for about 10 seconds per day out of 2+ hrs of driving which is about 0.1% of the time. It is still unacceptable performance though.

At present we are looking at fuel pressure as it seems to be related to too much fuel being pumped into the cylinders under load in a high gear. Apparently there is some kind of pressure calibration automatically performed by the ecu at 5000kms and 8000kms as the fuel pump wears in. These calibration may have been corrupted in my car so they forced another one.

Fingers crossed for now.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 am

Im going to go to the dark side on this one and you may not like it ....

a long time friend of mine is a heavy duty diesel mechanic with one of the big name truck brands, when I told him of this problem his response was... it's a diesel it needs to be thrashed ... keep the revs up and the engine hot.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by skipalami
I have exactly the same shudder probelm. Shakes your fillings out right?

It is driving me nuts, and I have had the same explanation, rev harder. I did and it shuddered harder. 5th and 6th at about 1900-2300rpm are my problem

Did Subaru tell you it was the Diesel Particulate Filter as well as revving harder ? I was told nothing under 1800 rpm for 4th. Makes little difference as it mostly happens about 2000rpm or a bit over.

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I kind of got the same story. The advice didn't help with the problem though.

Your right, it happens mainly around 2000rpm. The relearn (calibration) they forced the ECU to do on the fuel pump improved things a little, but didn't remove the problem.

Honestly, I think we may be on the pointy end of the problem as early adopters. Resolution may end up being a long term thing.

What was the build date of your car. Mine was June 2010 i think. I purchased it in December 2010.

Return to “Subaru Chat”