Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 am

Hope that milestone was achieved in the driveway or somewhere safe to take the pic :p

Supercharger on a 350Z ??!! Been lucky enough to have driven a few :) can't imagine why anyone needs a SC on one of these rockets ? Trying to shred the fibreglass or is it kevlar - tailshaft ??

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Fri May 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Danielle one lucky girl

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:Hi Paul,

Well then here's a couple of files to get you started. Unzip the attached .zip, the two files inside for Torque Pro DPF monitoring are the dash setup and custom PIDs. Drop them in the appropriate directories under /storage/emulated/0/.torque/dashboards and /storage/emulated/0/.torque/extendedpids .

To do this, you'll need a file manager type program (free downloads) such as Ghost Commander (can send your logs to PC via Bluetooth) and File Commander (can act as a very basic music player- queue audio files, see below).

And the Nexus 7 (2013 or version 2) plugs nicely into the AUX-IN port (centre console bottom rear, underneath centre armrest on the 2010) to act as a music box too. You just need a standard stereo headphone socket (2.5mm?) male-male link cable.

Patrick.
Hey Patrick,

Thanks heaps for this and I'll have a play and let you know how it goes. We haven't got her new Foz yet we pickup in a couple of weeks. We got it for under 20k and it has just hit 100k like yours. I can't wait to try out this Nexus and Torque Pro setup :)
ktmtragic wrote:Danielle one lucky girl
Very.. not bad for a 21yo Uni student :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

pitrack_1

Hexadecimal century for the DPF regen...

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 am

ghostgum wrote:I think I found the OBD2 DPF Regeneration Count parameter.

At a service two weeks ago the DPF regen count was 51. That's one regeneration per week for the life of the car.

So the settings I am using in Torque Pro for regen count are:
OBD2 Mode and PID is 221157, Long name "DPF Active Regeneration Count", Short name "Regen", min 0, max 65535, scale x1, Unit type [blank], Equation A*256+B. The equation may be incorrect - I won't know until it reaches 255 which will be another 4 years.
I can confirm it hits the "hexadecimal century" at 256 and rolls over from 00FF (255) to 0100 (256).
Sorry but I forgot to take an image of the 00FF reading (255) but below is an excerpt from my logging confirming the rollover.

Code: Select all

Device Time	DPF Active Regen Switch(on/off)	DPF Active Regen Count
40:48.7		255				255
40:49.2		255				255
40:49.8		0				256
40:50.3		0				256
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

pitrack_1

Nexus 7- velcro mounted

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 am

RSR 555 wrote:Hey Patrick,

Thanks heaps for this and I'll have a play and let you know how it goes. We haven't got her new Foz yet we pickup in a couple of weeks. We got it for under 20k and it has just hit 100k like yours. I can't wait to try out this Nexus and Torque Pro setup :)
Hi Paul,

here's where I've set up my Nexus 7 2013. It's held in place by velcro on the Nexus' aftermarket case and on the dash. It fits uncannily well over the head unit...I don't miss much 'cos I listen to the radio and the buttons are on the wheel.
The Nexus' auto-dim adapts very well indeed, just slightly dim in full sun. Positioning over the head unit gives a reasonable ergonomic location for control of Torque or music. It's close to the dash console power outlet (for power) but away from the centre cubby aux-in port (for music).
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:26 am

Hey Patrick, That looks schmick :cool:

I have all the bits (except this aftermarket case you speak of?) to fit this to Danielle's Foz. Now I just need to get her to stop driving it for a day, so I can fit it. I don't think I can get her out of the seat, she loves it :)

Danielle is right in to her music and I've got to look at a way to connect her Ipod to the head unit. It appears to have some bluetooth handsfree thing, which I'm not sure if it's genuine or not?

I'm still away at work for another 3 weeks but when I get back I'll have a go at fitting the Nexus and stuff :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 am

RSR 555 wrote:Hey Patrick, That looks schmick :cool:
Paul,

Thanks but believe me white velcro hook tape mounted on the dash looks anything but schmick when the Nexus is not there! :rolleyes: Get some dark grey or black velcro if you go that route. Be prepared for the death stare...if not worse...when you place the tape on the dash!
RSR 555 wrote:I have all the bits (except this aftermarket case you speak of?) to fit this to Danielle's Foz.
The case I have is a cheap(ish) clone-type on Ebay. Actually seems to be quite good quality. Being a fashionista, mine's in the fluoro yellow/green.
RSR 555 wrote:Now I just need to get her to stop driving it for a day, so I can fit it. I don't think I can get her out of the seat, she loves it :)
Never mind that, hop in the pax seat and install/fiddle/wax lyrical with/about it whilst she drives...make sure you're wearing your warmest jacket, it could turn quite icy...:mrgreen:
RSR 555 wrote:Danielle is right in to her music...
Yes but are you (into her music)? :twisted:
RSR 555 wrote:...and I've got to look at a way to connect her Ipod to the head unit. It appears to have some bluetooth handsfree thing, which I'm not sure if it's genuine or not?
I assume you've got a 2010 Forester Diesel base model similar to mine, with factory standard head unit. In that case the standard head unit doesn't do any bluetooth or Ipod linking. The only input is an aux input for a standard headphone output. This is located at the lower back of the centre cubby between the front seats. This cubby should have a small tray with a slot at one end. this tray sits at the top of the cubby with the slot pointing forwards. It's designed to hold an Ipod (or similar), with the slot for the cables out (to the power outlet and aux-in input, both below.

It's possible the bluetooth thing is a standalone handsfree unit. It may link in to the mute function through the radio harness.
RSR 555 wrote:I'm still away at work for another 3 weeks but when I get back I'll have a go at fitting the Nexus and stuff :)
Order the case now and it'll easily be there by the time you return. You need the case lid to provide the 'flip-down' capability.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 am

pitrack_1 wrote:Paul,

Thanks but believe me white velcro hook tape mounted on the dash looks anything but schmick when the Nexus is not there! :rolleyes: Get some dark grey or black velcro if you go that route. Be prepared for the death stare...if not worse...when you place the tape on the dash!

The case I have is a cheap(ish) clone-type on Ebay. Actually seems to be quite good quality. Being a fashionista, mine's in the fluoro yellow/green.
Fluoro pink would probably be Danielle's choice but I think good old Henry Ford black will do the job and black Velcro should do the trick :)
pitrack_1 wrote:Never mind that, hop in the pax seat and install/fiddle/wax lyrical with/about it whilst she drives...make sure you're wearing your warmest jacket, it could turn quite icy...:mrgreen:
Good thinking 99.. I'll do this :)
pitrack_1 wrote:Yes but are you (into her music)? :twisted:
Oh yes.. Danielle's music is pretty much same as mine but my son Jayson.. well that's a completely different story :???:
pitrack_1 wrote:I assume you've got a 2010 Forester Diesel base model similar to mine, with factory standard head unit. In that case the standard head unit doesn't do any bluetooth or Ipod linking. The only input is an aux input for a standard headphone output. This is located at the lower back of the centre cubby between the front seats. This cubby should have a small tray with a slot at one end. this tray sits at the top of the cubby with the slot pointing forwards. It's designed to hold an Ipod (or similar), with the slot for the cables out (to the power outlet and aux-in input, both below.

It's possible the bluetooth thing is a standalone handsfree unit. It may link in to the mute function through the radio harness.
It is the base model but the previous owner was Subaru WA, so it has a few extra bits in it. I know the handsfree definitely comes through the stereo but it has a little mic up near the driver's visor. I'll learn more about the car when I get to see it a bit more. I might even look at getting Mum one of the same :)
pitrack_1 wrote:Order the case now and it'll easily be there by the time you return. You need the case lid to provide the 'flip-down' capability.
Oh bugger.. I had already ordered one off ebay before I read your post :( I think the one I have ordered is just a plain one. I'll have to buy one of these 'flip-down' ones

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

On second thoughts...

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:07 am

Paul,
RSR 555 wrote:Fluoro pink would probably be Danielle's choice but I think good old Henry Ford black will do the job and black Velcro should do the trick :)
Young ladies and fluoro pink... some things never change! :smile:

Pay attention here...:eek:
RSR 555 wrote:Good thinking 99.. I'll do this
(play with Torque Pro from the pax seat)
Errr...perhaps not. Enough of the frivolity for a moment, there something potentially serious that I need to point out- a safety issue.

I suggest you (Paul) drive the vehicle when the device is plugged in. Here's why:

I've had a fault code U0073 occur whilst driving- almost exclusively when starting up- with the logger attached and Torque Pro going. U0073 is a network error (CAN bus). When this trips, apart from a "Christmas tree" effect (you'll know it when it happens) various systems are affected. Some of the effects I've noticed are:
  • Variable loss of power steering assistance- from normal to no assistance at all
  • Cooling fans constantly on
  • Loss of trip meter functions (minor really)
  • A 'limp' mode where the rpm restricts to ~<3000rpm
  • Deactivation of cruise
  • No doubt deactivation of traction control, DSC, ABS, etc.
Not all effects are present all the time. In particular complete loss of steering assistance is nasty. You need to have been going to the gym to manoeuvre without it- try turning the wheel when parked with the engine off.

You can read more about it on this post on my log elsewhere. In particular, the procedure for startup and when to access with Torque Pro seems to minimise, if not eliminate, the issue.

It's a good thing the vehicle is manual, with manual reversion of the steering, braking (I assume), etc. Being a turbo diesel there's probably no manifold vacuum so I assume there's a vacuum pump for brake assistance- hope it doesn't go off. The steering assist is electric in these vehicles, hence it can deactivate partly, entirely or not at all.

I've come up with the following possible causes:
  • Fault in the cheap clone interface unit
  • Faulty/loose connections (mine were loose for a while 'til I fixed them, but I've had an error since)
  • Error/crash in Torque Pro- stopping/starting it seems to help
  • Restarting engine w/ torque Pro already going
  • Error/crash in Android (reboot occasionally seems to help)
Cycling the ignition (without the cause being present) tends to clear the lights with just the DSC and CEL on (cruise still doesn't work). The error can be read and cleared with Torque Pro.

Also note I believe all comms are CAN bus on our 2010 diesel Forester, so old SSM cables and FreeSSM won't work- at least it doesn't with two different cables with my vehicle.

Remember we're playing on the car's network which is mostly expected to be done in a workshop, stationary, with professional equipment costing $$$$. We need to take care and expect the unexpected.

Back to the frivolity...
RSR 555 wrote:Oh yes.. Danielle's music is pretty much same as mine but my son Jayson.. well that's a completely different story
Can't help you there. Disown him? :mrgreen: Ahhh, I know! Ban him from the car until he changes (good luck)! :twisted:
RSR 555 wrote: It is the base model but the previous owner was Subaru WA, so it has a few extra bits in it. I know the handsfree definitely comes through the stereo but it has a little mic up near the driver's visor. I'll learn more about the car when I get to see it a bit more. I might even look at getting Mum one of the same
Sounds good...our car's away so I can't see the handbook currently. From the Petrol brochure you get the Bluetooth with the touchscreen satnav. Lucky you! 8)
RSR 555 wrote: Oh bugger.. I had already ordered one off ebay before I read your post :( I think the one I have ordered is just a plain one. I'll have to buy one of these 'flip-down' ones
By 'flip down' I mean a cover with a flap that folds over the front to protect the screen or can be folded to form a support to stand the unit up.

Another useful item for the Nexus is a screen protector...I've got the Spigen Steinheil. Make sure any accessory is for the Nexus 7 2013/FHD and not the original Nexus 7...
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:49 am

pitrack_1 wrote:Young ladies and fluoro pink... some things never change!
Yes.. I have another 12yo daughter who is absolutely mad on pink stuff and if they ever release a pink leopard onesie, then god help me :o
pitrack_1 wrote:Pay attention here...
Ok.. you've got my attention :)
pitrack_1 wrote: (play with Torque Pro from the pax seat)
Errr...perhaps not. Enough of the frivolity for a moment, there something potentially serious that I need to point out- a safety issue.

I suggest you (Paul) drive the vehicle when the device is plugged in. Here's why:

I've had a fault code U0073 occur whilst driving- almost exclusively when starting up- with the logger attached and Torque Pro going. U0073 is a network error (CAN bus). When this trips, apart from a "Christmas tree" effect (you'll know it when it happens) various systems are affected. Some of the effects I've noticed are:
  • Variable loss of power steering assistance- from normal to no assistance at all
  • Cooling fans constantly on
  • Loss of trip meter functions (minor really)
  • A 'limp' mode where the rpm restricts to ~<3000rpm
  • Deactivation of cruise
  • No doubt deactivation of traction control, DSC, ABS, etc.
Not all effects are present all the time. In particular complete loss of steering assistance is nasty. You need to have been going to the gym to manoeuvre without it- try turning the wheel when parked with the engine off.

You can read more about it on this post on my log elsewhere. In particular, the procedure for startup and when to access with Torque Pro seems to minimise, if not eliminate, the issue.

It's a good thing the vehicle is manual, with manual reversion of the steering, braking (I assume), etc. Being a turbo diesel there's probably no manifold vacuum so I assume there's a vacuum pump for brake assistance- hope it doesn't go off. The steering assist is electric in these vehicles, hence it can deactivate partly, entirely or not at all.

I've come up with the following possible causes:
  • Fault in the cheap clone interface unit
  • Faulty/loose connections (mine were loose for a while 'til I fixed them, but I've had an error since)
  • Error/crash in Torque Pro- stopping/starting it seems to help
  • Restarting engine w/ torque Pro already going
  • Error/crash in Android (reboot occasionally seems to help)
Cycling the ignition (without the cause being present) tends to clear the lights with just the DSC and CEL on (cruise still doesn't work). The error can be read and cleared with Torque Pro.

Also note I believe all comms are CAN bus on our 2010 diesel Forester, so old SSM cables and FreeSSM won't work- at least it doesn't with two different cables with my vehicle.

Remember we're playing on the car's network which is mostly expected to be done in a workshop, stationary, with professional equipment costing $$$$. We need to take care and expect the unexpected.
Wow.. yes that does sound like something I should not Danielle do, unless she is the one in the passengers seat. I'm pretty sure I can imagine what the "christmas tree" effect will be like. It's pretty much this when I start the car up in the dark :cool: and lucky I've got massive guns to handle the steering if and when this happens :p Not that I've played around with too much of the modern Subarus but the older ones (early 99 and earlier) I'm all good with, as this was what I cut my teeth on. I shall have a good read of those links and I think I'm a member on that site, so I'll ask questions on there. Just incase it helps other nOObs.
pitrack_1 wrote:Back to the frivolity...

Can't help you there. Disown him? Ahhh, I know! Ban him from the car until he changes (good luck)!
LOL.. if only.. nah, he's all good. He's into his Subarus as well and is catching up fast in collecting them.. chip off the block I think :( and he has his own sound system in his car, so he can blow out his own ear drums with that doof doof stuff.
pitrack_1 wrote:Sounds good...our car's away so I can't see the handbook currently. From the Petrol brochure you get the Bluetooth with the touchscreen satnav. Lucky you!
Oh.. ok :cool: I really wish I was home now to play with it. :(
pitrack_1 wrote:By 'flip down' I mean a cover with a flap that folds over the front to protect the screen or can be folded to form a support to stand the unit up.

Another useful item for the Nexus is a screen protector...I've got the Spigen Steinheil. Make sure any accessory is for the Nexus 7 2013/FHD and not the original Nexus 7...
Oh.. ok. I'm not sure which one I got but I think the cover and 2 non reflective screen protectors cost under $10 delivered, so if they aren't right I'll try again.. as per my avatar, you can see my love with computers and gadgets :rolleyes:

If I haven't said it before Patrick, I must say it now.. THANKS for all help so far and hopefully I don't cause you too much grief now and in the future.

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 31, 2014 9:12 am

Paul PM sent I found a pink leopard onesie on ebay :)

Still no DPF problems on my Wifes 2010 TD forester

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:56 pm

TOONGA wrote:Paul PM sent I found a pink leopard onesie on ebay :)

Still no DPF problems on my Wifes 2010 TD forester

TOONGA
Thanks Jules.. just what I didn't want to hear.. better keep that one quiet.

Your wifey probably drives it like it's supposed to.. like a rally car :) Brett Middleton style

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:50 pm

He knows more about selling things than winning things .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:16 pm

discopotato03 wrote:He knows more about selling things than winning things .

!! Disco !! bought another Subie ??

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 am

discopotato03 wrote:He knows more about selling things than winning things .
It appears that way but I'd be interested to talk to him about the performance figures he's getting out of his EE20

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 pm

RSR 555 wrote: I'm still away at work for another 3 weeks but when I get back I'll have a go at fitting the Nexus and stuff :)
Hi Paul,

that was May 28...any news?

Patrick.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

pitrack_1

DPF regen spacing and winter here in Canberra

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm

My DPF regen woes have disappeared for the moment. It's literally gone from ~65km per regen to 650km per regen, and 110km/h cruising or climbing a hilly pass actually decreases the soot level.

Driving to a different environment (i.e. back to Sydney) doesn't make a difference, so I'm attributing it to the switch to alpine diesel for the winter season here in Canberra. 3 years in a row I've noticed this, I've now logged it (repeatedly).
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

pitrack_1

Updates- 2010 Diesel

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 am

Actually don't drive it much now. Left it to the wife.

Runs better on winter (alpine) diesel. Has blown a turbo hose (replaced- $400 thanks Subaru), thrown the A/C (at Xmas- and $3000, thanks Subaru), busted glow plugs (haven't bothered and haven't needed) and even been decarbonised at 100k free of charge (thanks Subaru...no really this time). Still, that's what you'd expect of a Leyland...

Regen issues remain.

Here's a photo of some of the diagnostics I have to go to to monitor the damn thing

In the meantime, must be a glutton for punishment 'cos I recently picked up this...

12/2011 build, BL2, 138500km (now 140k km). 2l turbo diesel. Yee-har, it goes! Economical too. EURO4 but with DPF that regens (bit strange that). 400-60km between regens. However none of the Subaru issues. I'm super-allergic to regens and I still have to look at the fuel consumption readout to be sure it's regenerating. It actually runs smoother whilst regenerating, no loss of power, the merest hint of a lag/delay so that you only need a modicum of sympathy with the go pedal (ie. don't tramp it to the floor) and you don't notice the difference. It's a lesson in how to do a diesel compared to the Subaru.

109kW/360Nm so more than the Forester and all through the front wheels with no issues -torque steer or other misbehaviours- at all...dunno how they did it.

Trouble is, the wife likes it too!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:Hi Paul,

that was May 28...any news?

Patrick.
Hi Patrick,

Sorry mate but never got around to doing this but seems I need to revisit this. I will start a new post and see if I can get some help with a new issue.

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:I assume you've got a 2010 Forester Diesel base model similar to mine, with factory standard head unit. In that case the standard head unit doesn't do any bluetooth or Ipod linking. The only input is an aux input for a standard headphone output. This is located at the lower back of the centre cubby between the front seats. This cubby should have a small tray with a slot at one end. this tray sits at the top of the cubby with the slot pointing forwards. It's designed to hold an Ipod (or similar), with the slot for the cables out (to the power outlet and aux-in input, both below.
Her car is the base model and I'm not sure what the head unit is but I'll put up a picture. I know when I turn my bluetooth on, on my phone I get a bluetooth signal that reads "Subaru BT V02" (see 1st picture) and when I connect I get this "CALL" message on the head unit display (see 2nd picture)
pitrack_1 wrote:It's possible the bluetooth thing is a standalone handsfree unit. It may link in to the mute function through the radio harness.
Does the mute function allow the car's speakers to play the sound (of the call) off my phone?
Attachments
Foz head unit.JPG
Foz head unit.JPG (14.95 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
BT on Xperia.JPG
BT on Xperia.JPG (20.64 KiB) Viewed 6111 times

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”