Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
pitrack_1

Blinkety-blinks

Post by pitrack_1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:41 am

It was a rude shock this morning to get into the car and face a blinking DPF light from startup!

I've reported on this elsewhere; to follow on from Ghostgum's good work here I have some data below to confirm what Ghostgum has seen:

I use a generic Bluetooth ELM327 type adaptor and use the program wOBD on a WinXP laptop. It's not a flashy graphical setup and that's what I like about it- it's simple and logs text quickly.
Friday, March 14, 2014 01:25 AM
Header: 686AF1 Mode:22-22 Pid:114D-1157 Suffix:
V 22114D 36 [6] 54
V 22114E 0A [.] 10
V 221153 00 [.] 0
V 221154 00 [.] 0
V 221155 03 [.] 3
V 221156 00 44 [.D] 68
V 221157 00 EB [..] 235
Scan Completed
Events(s):11
No Data:0
Invalid:4
Zero:2
The 22114E parameter has returned (hex) 0A which equals (decimal) 10 - the bit after the [.]. This is apparently in % and above 10% will cause the DPF light to blink, so it's sitting on the limit.

I've now got a new Nexus 7 (Android tablet) w/ Torque Lite (currently). Will soon get the full blown Torque but I need to be able to get used to its setup- too graphical for my liking!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Inchcape Finance is Subaru Au and so I can only assume they are screwing the factory for all it is worth and maximizing their return, at the expense of the customer. Never heard of a finance mob doing the right thing yet

drwormy

Post by drwormy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Would be nice to also log exhaust gas temperatures around the DPF.

Seems the OBD protocols exist:

http://subdiesel.wordpress.com/generic/ ... ls/obd-ii/

But ive had no luck figuring the addressing out (using Cheapo ELM327 and Torque Pro).

Anyone?

ghostgum

Post by ghostgum » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm

drwormy,

I just tried Torque Pro with my Outback. The subdiesel page says:
0x3C: Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1 (→ Exhaust Gas Temperature at Catalyst Inlet)
0x3E: Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 2 (→ Exhaust Gas Temperature at DPF Inlet)

Using Torque Pro I started to add a digital display and it listed a set of known parameters (by name, not PID). These two catalyst temperatures are listed by name, but they don't get highlighted in green, which means that the car doesn't support them. Subdiesel were mostly working with older Euro4 diesel cars. I suspect the parameters you want are probably in the extended 0x22 set, which is manufacturer specific.

ghostgum

Post by ghostgum » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Pitrack_1,

Given that the Soot Accumulation Ratio (22114D) is now 54%, it could be that it was over 80% and hence flashed the DPF light. While driving it started a regeneration, but didn't complete causing the SAR to reduce, but not drop to zero.

I have observed the SAR figure during a couple of regenerations. When the SAR reaches 65% and the car is working hard enough (70km/h city driving seems to be enough), it will start the cycle. First two minutes or so is heating up and the SAR doesn't change. Then the SAR starts to drop, progressively reducing faster over the next 10 minutes until the cycle finishes. The SAR is under 10% when the cycle finishes and drops to 0% during the next few minutes, so I presume it is still continuing to burn off a bit while cooling.

According to subdiesel the cause for high oil dilution ratio is lots of active regen cycles, or lots of aborted active regen cycles (because the car was stopped before it finished the cycle). I wish one of subdiesels mods was standard on Subarus - they made the DPF light do a double flash during active regeneration, so you could keep driving until it finished, however this would alarm people.

My car has averaged one regeneration per 400km. Oil Dilution Ratio is currently 2% with 5 active regenerations since the last service (when ODR is reset to 0%).

Watching the Soot Accumulation Ratio while driving is interesting (best done by having someone read it out, or having the phone/tablet in a suitable holder on the dash). Accelerating from an intersection increases SAR by about 1%. It drops a little while driving at 60km/h. It looks like it isn't a particularly accurate measure of soot accumulation. Accelerating hard (i.e. making the turbo work) increases SAR by more than a gentle acceleration. e.g 3%. If you do gentle driving, then the SAR doesn't increase as fast as when you plant your foot on the accelerator.

My understanding is that soot is produced by a diesel engine when the is fuel to air ratio is too high. This occurs at low revs, and while accelerating. Even though the turbo pushes in extra air, it appears that the car injects lots more fuel so it still produces soot. even at 2500+rpm. Driving between 1800-2500rpm with gentle acceleration seems to minimise SAR increase.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:29 am

While at the service and spares counter of a Subaru dealership, think it is twice now, I've heard the reception guy giving the customer a plastic funnel top bottle of about 250ml , maybe 500ml of a fuel additive and instructing to add it to the fuel in three months time, and not now as they have added same with the service.

Grey plastic bottle.

Words also eavesdropped were something along the lines of the filters not made locally and saves them blocking up with carbon.

Is this some sort of Diesel fuel additive to help the Diesel Subies with DPF problems, or is eavesdropping a bad thing :) ?

drwormy

Post by drwormy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 pm

ghostgum wrote: The required codes were found at
http://subdiesel.wordpress.com/generic/ ... ed-obd-ii/
Ghostgum,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I thought you'd managed to do something really clever (or not; owning my ignorance here) and transcode the addresses given on the RomRaider Logger Definitions:

http://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-defi ... finitions/

into OBD-land. Now i look again at the page you linked and realised that the "W" line is the written code (ie PID), and the "R" line is an eg response. Is that where you got the addresses for logging? (as well as the nice work on finding the regen count)

BTW - my regen count is 376 (assuming the 2nd last byte is x 256) which would mean a regen on average every 288 kms. I do two 30-40 min (Peninsula link) freeway drives each day at 104 km/hr* (=110km/hr on speedo, 2000 rpm in 6th). Since ive started logging i can see the Soot % rise constantly along this trip; ive tried doing it once of twice in 5th, but it also seems to rise, qualitatively in a similar fashion.

* Ive not been booked for 4+ km/hr in 100,000 kms past many known speed cameras.

Now mine is out of warranty im very tempted to fix the DPF issue altogeather, but i dont know anyone who has done so (or is willing to admit it in a public forum). Oh, of course i mean trade in for an Evoque ;)

pitrack_1

SAR and ODR

Post by pitrack_1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 am

Ghostgum,

thanks again for your work.
ghostgum wrote:Given that the Soot Accumulation Ratio (22114D) is now 54%, it could be that it was over 80% and hence flashed the DPF light. While driving it started a regeneration, but didn't complete causing the SAR to reduce, but not drop to zero.
Dealer last week confirmed it was the Oil Dilution Ratio (ODR)- and reset. There had been excessive numbers of regens I could feel. I could also feel that it was not regenning (ugh!) when the lamp stopped flashing or before. The vehicle is also still 5000km from the next service (at 95k). Wonder if ODR was reset properly at the last service...

Thought the SAR also gave a steady DPF light (not seen) before flashing DPF light at a higher level (subdiesel's pages).
ghostgum wrote:I have observed the SAR figure during a couple of regenerations...
Next task for me! Haven't set up my logging parameter file appropriately yet (program's a bit finicky, esp. when cramped up in a driver's seat).

Dealer thought the ODR was a separate issue to the power loss/lag- I think they're related and ODR may have caused by/been related to the power loss/lag + excessive regens. At any rate, both issues have recently been addressed- my details elsewhere.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Google DPF delete

Autoscan

Post by Autoscan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 pm

We can force regenerate your boxer diesel DPF
At your place and are close to a permanent fix
For this problem, we can also force regenerate
After the soot content has passed 135% without
Removal of the DPF. http://www.autoscan.net.au

Autoscan

Post by Autoscan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:16 pm

We can regenerate or force regenerate your Subaru outback diesel
At your place and will have a permanent fix for this in the coming
Weeks. We can force regenerate after soot content has exceeded
135%, when you dealer claims your DPF cannot be regenerated
We can do it. http://www.autoscan.net.au

Autoscan

Post by Autoscan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:56 pm

steptoe wrote:This tragedy you refer to is still in the hands of the coroner isn't it ?

Motor journo Will Hagon was saying the other night the problem VW are having seems to be with the Diesel engine/DSG box in the majority - and it is the gearbox, or is it a transmission? that is the component being attended to in order to correct fault whereas it is the polution control side of the Diesel engines in the Subes copping the blame and attention.
VW DSG auto transmission used fluid that was corrosive to the internal TCM.

autoscan1

Diesel Particulate Filter Permanent Fix

Post by autoscan1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Returned today to advise after 2 years of research we have a permanent fix for this DPF issue to find we have been barred from this forum, seems the administrators don't want this fix displayed.
No reason has been given which tells us a lot about the administrators of this forum.

http://www.autoscan.net.au automotive diagnostics made easy.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 pm

autoscan1 wrote:Returned today to advise after 2 years of research we have a permanent fix for this DPF issue to find we have been barred from this forum, seems the administrators don't want this fix displayed.
No reason has been given which tells us a lot about the administrators of this forum.

http://www.autoscan.net.au automotive diagnostics made easy.

Actually advertising for your first 4 posts, 1. without consulting the moderators or Administrator and 2. without even thinking about becoming a gold subscriber, says a lot about your business practices.

read the rules

showthread.php?t=12409
Unsolicited advertisements by retail outlets or of non-AUSubaru endorsed businesses and websites are not permitted. Likewise, non-genuine classifieds advertisements (as determined by the Management Team) are not permitted. Any such posts will be deleted.
If you want to advertise your business, ask the right people / donate to keep the board running, then by all means advertise.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you TOONGA :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

sublime

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:49 pm

autoscan1 wrote:seems the administrators don't want this fix displayed
What fix? You have not displayed or detailed any fix... Just spruiked for a business.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm with you Toonga! Has there been a thread started to notify the moderators?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:46 pm

sublime wrote:What fix? You have not displayed or detailed any fix... Just spruiked for a business.
+1.. if not going to be helpful then just pay the Admin a fee and then advertise your business.. how hard is that?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 03, 2014 11:28 am

He knows NOTHING of the FIX!

:rolleyes:

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pitrack_1

DPF monitoring

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:25 pm

I now monitor my DPF regens through an OBD-II Bluetooth interface and Torque Pro on Android. At least it warns me during the DPF regen.

Thanks to Ghostgum (and Subdiesel/ Subaru diesel crew site) for the PIDs to get me going, I was stuck figuring it out!

Note the temps in this image are somewhat extreme and don't normally go that high (more around the 600-650C level).
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Subaru Chat”