Forest GT's - no cruise control?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
LTurbo

Forest GT's - no cruise control?

Post by LTurbo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I have been looking around at a few forester GT's and none seem to have cruise control. Is this real? they did not come with cruise:confused: I swear the N/A version did.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:09 am

I used to install the earlier type cruise controls and they all used vacuum to run a throttle hold/pull/release cable .

I recall asking how the turbo ran cruise under boost and reply was electric vacuum pump on Libs. That my be the way to go. Can always do after market with cable throttles, fit your own electric vac pump. Try Command Auto Group for an application. In Botany, have developed heaps of CC's over the years and have good customer relations.

Corax

Post by Corax » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:44 am

Yeah the N/A version did, my parents N/A forester has cruise while my GT does not, which is weird cause doesn't GT stand for 'Grand Tourer'? So Steptoe are you saying you couldn't take the cruise control components off an n/a forester and install them on a GT? I was giving this some thought.

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 am

steptoe wrote:I used to install the earlier type cruise controls and they all used vacuum to run a throttle hold/pull/release cable .

I recall asking how the turbo ran cruise under boost and reply was electric vacuum pump on Libs.
ahh, that makes a bit of sense now. At least there is some reason (Cost) for them not to put cruise into the GT's.

Damn the RS Libs came with a lot if good kit, water to air IC, hyrdrolic clutch, cruise etc. They must have cost a bit new.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I think that it is likely yes these older ones used vacuum and the turbos inlet manifold vacuum turns to pressure would upset the apple cart. If they are vacuum and you scored any after market or NA system you just need to supply the vacuum by another means and not even need a hook up to inlet at all

Return to “Subaru Chat”