what have you done for your subaru lately?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 am

ScubyRoo wrote:^ what he said :D. I can't wait to get my MIG (c'mon tax return!), then I can start my rear bar project and make myself a decent bash guard to fit my outback's factory headers (turbo style :cool:)

Ha hahaha the old tax return funding chestnut - go boy GO FOR IT !!!:mrgreen:

Much better way to buy things as you sort of think in you head that you have got them for free ???!!!!
My MiG is a THERMAL ARC made by THERMADYNE can highly recommend this make and deffo worth any extra you may have to pay.:D

What I have I done today? hmmm

When I got very bogged at the "snow trip" two weekends ago ("snow" as we didn't really find much) and dropped my rear left wheel into a very large hole (pics) I thought all the damage I'd done was rip a bit of plastic... then yesterday starts this sound like a midget hiding underneath the trans tunnel with a hammer tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap... then last night, wack wack wack wack, then this morning... THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP... sounded like my centre bearing had finally gone (its been whining for months) and I thought ah shiiiiiiiit... had a look under tonight and low and behold my exhaust was pushed up into the centre bearing and also onto the rear left drive shaft. Took it off, stood on it, levered it on the front yard tree... bit of TLC... and now booyah, no more hammer-wielding midget :mrgreen:

Me bogged - the rear left wheel was about 10cm from the ground...

Muddy Hell !!!!

Cheers,
Owen.
Damn those little bugger midgets!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Nice different bar Ive seen. Looks great hey...
That cable winch.. oooh *covers my eyes*
Cheers
AP
I absolutely love that cable winch. I would have pulled out & replaced at least 5 motors with it and pulled the front out of at least 6 damaged cars that I can think of, just hook it up to the tow point on another car and crank away.

The last/first time I went to Lanno I hit a dune a bit harder than expected, when I took the front bar off to fit the bar I found I'd actually punched the radiator support back at least 2 inches so I hooked it onto the Lib then found a threaded hole nearish the center of the support and had it almost back to where it belonged in no time but I AM very careful when backing it of....it could do nasty things to hands:(

I've really got to get some taller stronger Forester springs and fit the massive bash plate now.....still unsure about the hi/lo box and it definitely needs a smaller turbo, the TD05 takes a week to spool up. I've gt a 3" TBE sitting there that I might chuck on it too, and maybe find a V2 TSI ECU to top it off........................or just sell it as I have no real need for it lol.

Here's a couple of better pics.

98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:33 pm

That is one extremely awesome rex. Have you put any pics on rexnet etc? They'd have kittens and no way they'd understand!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

FREEDOM

Post by FREEDOM » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 am

T'subaru wrote:Whats a GPO? Ive got a 1000 watt continueous invertor and a battery isolater, but gpo i havnt got a clue.
Cheers, Mark

Yup, I knew I should have just said "powerpoint".
Bye Bye Brumby... :(

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

FREEDOM wrote:Yup, I knew I should have just said "powerpoint".
haha, feeling dumb about now:)
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 am

1111giles wrote:Hey Mark,
If you take the plunge with a welder, dont go cheap route. I have a 250amp 240volt 1 phase mig - a hang over from when we had the engineering works.
Used this one on site and as I had no 3 phase at my home work shop decided to keep this one and let all the 3 phase ones go.
This one is a Thermadyne (made in the US) top kit will last forever and lays down super smooth runs.
Consumables are top quality and out last cheap stuff ten times.
Pity I dont really use it like it was made for but just like having the kit for when we need it!:mrgreen:
Thats good advice Giles, what Im looking for is mainly for panel work, rust repair panels and welding up new panels after ive drilled out the spot welds etc. I would love to have a nice 220v single phase stick or wire feed welder, but I probably would not get enough use out of them to offset the cost of the equipment vs paying someone to do the thicker materials.
Cheers, Mark
I should add though that when you have the good stuff you tend to come up with ways to use it:)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:26 pm

meant to put that up - GPO = general power outlet ?

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:That is one extremely awesome rex. Have you put any pics on rexnet etc? They'd have kittens and no way they'd understand!
Thanks mate, I think I put some pics up on PWRX but rarely go on Rexnet even though I've been a member for over 5yrs, maybe one day.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

1111giles

Take heed

Post by 1111giles » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:25 am

[quote="T'subaru"]

Yes I know the feeling well !!!!!:confused:
A mate of mine last year collared me to fab him up some 20 foot industrial gates (pallasade type) which were 9 feet high including the posts to swing them off. (Very heavy 1/2 tonne without pallasades attached)
So we set to and made them visited the site, drew up the plans, obtained materials, cut and manufactured the parts, weld them up (the gates size and weight were just on liftable).
Might add that these were made outside our back door so no forklift or crane! Wifey was going mental !!!!
Got them galvanised.
He then had me park them in our yard -( bloody big numb things they were!) there for the next 12 months before he decided that he wanted them.:(

Moral of the story is.....got good gear? Keep schtum to those who will take advantage! But help those who need / deserve help.:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:31 am

What did I do today to my Subaru ?:)

Picked Scooby up from the Garage who has charged it up with A/C Gas yes it holds pressure and has blown ice cold air on test:mrgreen: Then taken scoob to the Auto electrician to sort and tidy the wiring and also fit my Blaupunkt sound system.......

Were getting there !:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 am

Here's a couple of better pics.

Image[/QUOTE]

Nice looking waggon - the bar really works well. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Well, I search a wrecking yard after work yesterday isle by isle looking for parts for a pre fuel injected car with no luck. Not one to leave empty handed, and 12.00 later I picked up this for my wagon project, have to put the pug spare somewhere:) Now, about that welder........

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I found my subi under a little bit of snow today after 112cm fell last week!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 am

its been awhile since ive been on here, but my m8's dad offer to sell me this hood scoop off his 97 wrx to fit onto my 87 vortex so i took a pic of what it might look like, not sure if its worth getting, so i think this is what I have done for my subaru :P

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:51 am

El_Freddo wrote:I found my subi under a little bit of snow today after 112cm fell last week!

Cheers

Bennie
That is cool! Im assuming once you dig your way in you can drive your way out:twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 am

not a bad break and enter deterent that stuff :)

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Pulled it apart, and then when the front mount didn't fit, left it like it! Lucky I have a daily haha
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I found my subi under a little bit of snow today after 112cm fell last week!

Cheers

Bennie
Bennie - Your more than welcome to all that snow ! In fact you can keep it all through your coming summer if you like !:D

Gives me the shivvers just looking at it - like this is what we might be in for (again) soon !:(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 pm

T'subaru wrote:Well, I search a wrecking yard after work yesterday isle by isle looking for parts for a pre fuel injected car with no luck. Not one to leave empty handed, and 12.00 later I picked up this for my wagon project, have to put the pug spare somewhere:) Now, about that welder........

What's that come off Mark?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 pm

These mounts are used on our chev/gmc Blazers, s10 and s15 models. It latches to a plate attached to the rear gate. If I could attach it as shown the spare would sit dead center on my wagon.
Cheers, mark

Return to “Subaru Chat”