Removing Brumby chrome door trim?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
drkevorkian

Removing Brumby chrome door trim?

Post by drkevorkian » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi all. Am starting to think about striping the brumby down for a paintjob. Is there a technique to removing that lovely chrome triming that runs above and down the side of the doors.... other than brute force?

Cheers

redskin

Post by redskin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:51 pm

Yes there is, l made up a tool to remove this stripping without damaging it in any way and it was surprisingly simple.
l started with a longish screwdriver with a 10mm head. This l heated up about an 1" from the tip and bent it back towards the handle 180 deg so l was left with a large hook with a flat tip or a mini crowbar, (the tip of the screwdiver should lay across the hook not in line, just like a crowbar).
Next l cut a piece of 1/2" wide strap, 2" long, l positioned the screwdriver/hook so the tip flat catches the underneath lip of the channel and the shaft/handle points upwards and place the 2" long strap between the channel and the shaft, (1" either side), so it runs along at the channel at strip height or at 90 deg to the screwdiver and welded it in place on the shaft/handle. this strip acts as the levering point,
To use this tool becomes obvious once you see it but just in case, position the flat of the hook to capture lower edge of trim and the flat strap welded to the handle/shaft will line up along it and push gently, it will unhook from the bottom so work your way along the length of the strip till its unhooked all the way then simply lift it off, no damage, dents or bends.
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:02 am

Are you able to get any pics of it? I can't understand what you mean. I just did my ute and used a screw driver and prised it off from the underside. It worked but was very slow. I have to paint another ute soon and would like to be able to take the strip off a bit quicker.

redskin

Post by redskin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:32 am

Yes, sure Brett, l've just reread it and l am having trouble understanding what l mean, will take some later today, can anybody please host these as l am quite capable of e-mailing pics to a home address but cannot compress them enough to post them here. If so can somebody leave a e-mail address and l will post them tonight.
Just an aside, although it sounds as though it's a little complicated, it really is very easy to make and takes about 5 mins. l have used this tool on any type of car with a channel, (many), and have never damaged one strip.
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

drkevorkian

Post by drkevorkian » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:39 am

wow... champion effort. that is already a huge help, but pics would be great

redskin

Post by redskin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

rwhitely

Re: Removing Brumby chrome door trim?

Post by rwhitely » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:01 pm

14 years later I ask the same question. I need to remove these trims to carry out some panel repairs and I don't really understand the instructions given here. The photo links don't now seem to work. Could they please be reposted? Alternatively is there a video of this procedure anywhere? They seem very well attached in my reckoning and I don't want to damage them attempting to remove them.

Bantum
General Member

Re: Removing Brumby chrome door trim?

Post by Bantum » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:39 am

Could do a search on youtube - pretty sure there heaps of 'how to' videos on there ...

The tool described looks bit like this one on far right :

There are also lots of trim removal kits out there now ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Subaru Chat”