Brat Turbo Kit

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Corax

Brat Turbo Kit

Post by Corax » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey Suba-Dudes,

Was having a look at American fleabay and found an interesting thing. Just go to ebay (American/Aussie doesn't matter) and type into the search engine 350296212317 which is the item number and have a look at what looks like one very serious kit to turn your brat/brumby into a turbo powered beast! Ps would form a link but don't know how, sorry.:confused:

Cheers,
Corax.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:51 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

is the link

so is it thru carby or an injector kit

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

'Instructions'

We are the parts supplier, not mechanic. We can try our best to help with generic questions, but it is best to consult a professional turbocharger installer with specific questions.
There are no installation instructions included. The install is simple and most customers install it themselves in a weekend. If you cannot figure it out or feel uncomfortable with the installation, please have a professional assist.
Most of these parts are direct bolt-ons. Some are not.
The piping needs to be fitted up. Because of the bends and couplers included, it should be simple.
The T3 turbo flange needs to be welded to an adapter pipe or directly to the stock manifold.
To run this on a street car, the turbocharger down pipe will need to be connected to your existing exhaust. Expect to fabricate an adapter pipe

= pain
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Looks like they just found every single Turbo looking part and put it in a kit. I really doubt it would work since there is no instructions at all. Looks more like a performance shop starter kit

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:55 am

agreed, looks pretty bodge. all cheap chinese bling bits mostly. no brandname stuff
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 am

Looks like the kit is for the L.Series RX more so than the Brat
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

tex

Post by tex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

surely it'd be easier to find a factory turbo brat and get those parts sent over instead! I wouldn't worry about the exhaust although the crossmember would be expensive it'd make certification easier...
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm

That turbo looks way too big to be of much use on a EA81 anyway.

Yeah i agree, its just a kit of cheap Chinese parts thrown together.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

coxy

Brat Turbo Kit

Post by coxy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Should be possible to convert an EA81 to Turbo using the Exhaust manifold and Turbo of an EA82 Turbo.
Will require mods to the cross member for the up pipe.
Will also need a Turbo spec downdraft Weber as used on the Peter Wherett model Sigma Turbo cars.
Then you would need to have made the turbo inlet pipeing and find an airbox from the wreckers to adapt,not that hard really when you look at some of the modified turbo cars built in australia.
Oil feed line to the turbo from either the oil filter area or the oil pressure switch area and then a drain from the turbo into the sump.
Late lower comp EA81 pistons and heads and have the block modified with stainless safety wire into machined grooves just behind the fire ring area of the head gaskets,which will save blown headgaskets,Rocket Industries sell a tool that will do this manually now available in a smaller than 4 inch bore size for "O" ringing cylinders.
Far from a hard conversion when you consider how many red six Holdens and other engines have been converted in the past.In fact easier with EA82 bits with the exception of the FI system,but as stated Turbo spec carb's have been made in the past,should make somewhere around 95 to 105 HP with a fresh engine which is probably 40 percent more than what a tired EA 81 makes if you are lucky and in the lightest Subaru body shell should drive quite nicely.
All up with a rebuilt engine it could be done under say $6,000 with carefull searching for good S/H bits,Genuine EA81 Turbo's are like Hens Teeth and aside from Fuel Injection don't offer much benefit over building one yourself as they come with non water cooled turbos and will cost good money to make the injection work.
If your EA81 is good and you do the work without paying shop labour you could halve the cost quite realistically as EA 82 Turbo bit's are fairly common and cheap as the engines are not as reliable as the EA 81 so external parts like turbo stuff is available for sensible outlay.
Exhaust shop could bend up the turbo pipework it doesn't have to be shiny Aluminium,steel with say a VHT wrinkle finish paint job would look quite smart at low cost.Best thing is you know what parts are in the conversion when finished and where to find spares when required or just go the Ej route which is proven and not too hard.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am

An Coxy knows where a good supply of used EA82T bits is too !

A .

Kralle

Post by Kralle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

the turbocharger looks like the one im converting my l-series at the moment, and it works, not perfekt, but it works. and YES its a lot of work, much more i thought at the begining of the projekt.
another problem is the place that you have, the original turbo is much smaller than this Garett GT30 replica, the turbo is as big as your head!!

jumpy

Post by jumpy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm

coxy wrote:Should be possible to convert an EA81 to Turbo using the Exhaust manifold and Turbo of an EA82 Turbo.
Will require mods to the cross member for the up pipe.
Will also need a Turbo spec downdraft Weber as used on the Peter Wherett model Sigma Turbo cars.
Then you would need to have made the turbo inlet pipeing and find an airbox from the wreckers to adapt,not that hard really when you look at some of the modified turbo cars built in australia.
Oil feed line to the turbo from either the oil filter area or the oil pressure switch area and then a drain from the turbo into the sump.
Late lower comp EA81 pistons and heads and have the block modified with stainless safety wire into machined grooves just behind the fire ring area of the head gaskets,which will save blown headgaskets,Rocket Industries sell a tool that will do this manually now available in a smaller than 4 inch bore size for "O" ringing cylinders.
Far from a hard conversion when you consider how many red six Holdens and other engines have been converted in the past.In fact easier with EA82 bits with the exception of the FI system,but as stated Turbo spec carb's have been made in the past,should make somewhere around 95 to 105 HP with a fresh engine which is probably 40 percent more than what a tired EA 81 makes if you are lucky and in the lightest Subaru body shell should drive quite nicely.
All up with a rebuilt engine it could be done under say $6,000 with carefull searching for good S/H bits,Genuine EA81 Turbo's are like Hens Teeth and aside from Fuel Injection don't offer much benefit over building one yourself as they come with non water cooled turbos and will cost good money to make the injection work.
If your EA81 is good and you do the work without paying shop labour you could halve the cost quite realistically as EA 82 Turbo bit's are fairly common and cheap as the engines are not as reliable as the EA 81 so external parts like turbo stuff is available for sensible outlay.
Exhaust shop could bend up the turbo pipework it doesn't have to be shiny Aluminium,steel with say a VHT wrinkle finish paint job would look quite smart at low cost.Best thing is you know what parts are in the conversion when finished and where to find spares when required or just go the Ej route which is proven and not too hard.
hi
i own a 1984 subaru 1800 4WD with a non turbo ea81 engine. i have recently considered turbo charging it, if possible. at the moment i want to weigh up my options as to whether it is worth doing or not. first of all, there is the concern whether there is enough parts out there to easily do a conversion (will most likely try to track down ea82 parts), and secondly there is the concern whether the standard motor will take the extra stress on the motor (heads/push rods etc).

so basically i want a little help in deciding what i do. i am not an absolute whiz with cars to say the least, but i am capable of doing my own work in a lot of cases.

when you say i will need a turbo spec downdraft, what exactly will i need to buy for this and where can i get the parts?
also, in terms of some of the modifications above, such as the oil lines and block modification, are these very hard to do? is it hard to connect the oil lines? are there any other modifications that will need to be done ie to the heads or inlets?

thanks,
brad

Return to “Subaru Chat”