career changes?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
rob83ke70

career changes?

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 pm

hey, just after some thoughts and ideas.

technically i'm no longer a subaru owner either, I sold the L series and got a toyota dyna instead... swore I'd get rid of those hydraulic lash adjusters and look at what I ended up with (toyota 4y with hla's)

anyway...

I currently hold a cert III in automotive as a mechanic, I'm about to commence a tertiary prep course with the idea of doing mechanical engineering (all via distance ed at this stage) and a possible house/town move and things like that *may* be on the cards eventually... the aim is to get down the the coast, preferably with a nice friendly neighborhood. I live in the ghetto now :(

I kind of get ups and downs, sometimes mild sometimes in a reasonably big way. this could all be to do with going into one of those down moods at the moment so, well... I kind of have the shits at work at the moment, its a bit quiet, and I'd rather be flat out... that and having to listen to "angry arsehole" and "even angrier bigger arsehole" on the radio every day (2g* derivative radio station that *must* be on because the boss says so), and working with country music loving saddle-friggers (you know the people that love v8 utes with oversized exhausts and bullbars and ariels and all that stuff) and that sort of stuff.... I'm possibly a bit of a pedantic neat tidy motor mechanic and the mess can get to me, as well as being somewhat indifferent to doing the job properly, which bothers me a LOT...

anyway, I have mixed thoughts about going into a dealership again (did my apprenticeship at a dealer), possibly as a diagnostic technician or service advisor/manager, or even buying a small aftermarket mechanical business... maybe I need to move into another industry? maybe fitting and turning, welding or fabrication and general engineering or something like that? I've honestly got no idea...

I had to listen to country music this afternoon for over two hours, after lunch the apprentice parked his ute in the workshop and turned the country music up... but I can't listen to something of my choosing? I'm not that abnormal....

anyway, what are everybody's thoughts on service manager or service advisor? or even a diagnostic technician? I have a thing for working on european cars too, which I gather is a sought after quality in dealerships... and I'm really fussy about doing the job properly, after all you need to get what you pay for. Then again, I'm not sure if cars should really be a career, maybe they'd be better as a hobby in my own time?

nothing will probably eventuate for some time anyway, its rather messy moving house/towns and there is a lot of work to do on the house before it is sale-able again... and my other half isn't sure of what she wants to do at the moment either and seems to be working too much...

Maybe I should join the army full time or something similar?

Robert.

Oh, I'm fairly sure that nobody who reads this forum is from my area, but if you are, please don't tell anything to anybody I know because nothing is in concrete yet and you never know I might get into a happy mood again and be content exactly where I am...

H-top

Post by H-top » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 pm

What did you want to in fulltime army as.
By what you've described, fulltime army mechanic would do your head in!
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:39 pm

engineer probably or something in signals...

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:51 pm

The motor trade is a strange breed. I was in it for a few years. If you want to stay with it, sounds like you need to move on. Personally I've moved on, and then on (not by choice) and on....and then on again to what I do now. All in a relatively short time frame. There is nothing wrong with trying new things. As for the ADF, I'd suggest if you want to join, to try being a reservist first to see if you like it. That way you aren't locked into a return of service agreement. Having said that, the Navy (I know you said army) is screaming for ET's and MT's (electrical and mechanical fitters). CPOCSM on here is a current serviceman, maybe pm him re navy life.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:13 am

I know how you feel. Been thinking of doin' a similar post. My current $upply is drying up slowly and industry gone to the dogs, slum dog style. You say army...you almost need to apply in reverse so not disappointed. Get past one entry level to the medicals, fail that and you get a six month cooling off period, so don't quit first. I know a little dude diesel mechanic got that far and stopped. The army need mechanics and I think start at about 60k plus benefits.

My thoughts are basic . Thinking of doing a first aid course coz they look good on applications, and a tafe OH&S short course, maybe even building industry green card and see what it may lead to.

Doesn't hurt to talk to small business owners around you. I know a guy who has a dormant carpet cleaning business only coz he can't find workers. I wanna get him to teach me the ropes on my days off and see if I can manage it for him with the idea of paying it all off with him for some return.

Was gonna do a distance factual investigation course for insurance work but they dropped the course.

Any cheap and cheerful suggestions by anyone shuld help

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:53 am

If you want a change and you can handle what it has to offer the Army / Navy / RAAF is a very good option. You get Job security, great benifits, great pay.

You will hear a lot of people bagging it but most of the time they have never been there to actually know. As a Mechanic you can pretty much walk straight in if you past screening and start on good $$$. They will also provide heaps of training etc etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 am

Wascatching up with a fella recently, he has found that by getting his medium rigid licence for mid size trucks it has opened up his job opportunities., now collects huge money for a security company requiring the licence to drive money truck. He is happy. Nuther little PITA bastard I know, did his fork lift licence and got a job in a cold room forking around on $60k. Might not be things you want but can lead to other things. If you still in dealership try for more training courses, steer Diesel diagnostics way. I can just see all these common rail Diesels everywhere needing diagnosis proper before swapping over big dollar components to see if it fixes things. I don't think this country has dealerships prepared for diagnostic needs coming up, and the old pump rooms around may not even be able to conjure up a repair service, just swap'n'go parts - with a two week wait from Japan or four from europe!

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:56 am

I'm in the aftermarket world at the moment, but you can still see the dealership technician coming out in me because I always want to do the jobs properly exactly how they should be done, I'm kind of fussy... I like all cars, its just that sometimes you get instructed to not do things that need doing (brake fluid, diff oil, trans services spark plugs fuel filters etc) and when you get interesting diagnostic stuff you don't have a lot of time or information to do it properly.

I don't think I have any problems with cars it is probably just the people/personalities I'm working with at the moment... I'm a bit of a car nut myself, and working with saddlefriggers perplexes me somewhat... working so as to get money for drinking fishing and shooting, and putting 5 post bullbars and ariels all over your ute with horrible stickers and oversized exhausts is slightly beyond me... I'm into fast cars with a purpose (race cars) and as to listening to country music ONLY and getting rm williams longhorn tattoos.... well....

sorry if i've offended any country music fans out there, I'm sure there is some good stuff, its just really not for me!!!

I've calmed down a lot after listening to a few hours worth of music and walking the dog and cooking korma chicken for dinner :) Maybe I need a larger workplace with some people who have similar interests to myself?

I think the ultimate aim is to sell this house and move somewhere coastal, and maybe a diagnostic technican for a dealership sounds like a good job until I get my engineering qualifications? I have reasonable common rail diesel european car diagnostic experience... I did nearly nothing but late model european common rail diesel cars for most of my apprenticeship. the other possibility is buying a smallish mechanical business, joining the army reserve, or attempting something non mechanical....

I'm a little paranoid on account of it being a small town, and until I know things definitely then I don't want current employers getting wind of rumours... I know interesting jobs do pop up, what I'd give to be able to do another apprenticeship, which I can't do because of the paycut!!

Robert.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:15 am

rob83ke70 wrote:I always want to do the jobs properly exactly how they should be done, I'm kind of fussy... I like all cars, its just that sometimes you get instructed to not do things that need doing (brake fluid, diff oil, trans services spark plugs fuel filters etc) and when you get interesting diagnostic stuff you don't have a lot of time or information to do it properly.

Robert.
mate we are screaming out for someone like you !!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:33 am

unfortunately I think I may be a little bit too well anchored down here with the house and stuff to be moving for a while :(

I don't understand how and why so many people feel the need to do a half-arsed job, its even worse at dealerships because you are supposed to be the factory trained technician and do everything exactly right!!

I probably would have stayed at my last place of employment should they have kept the three most interesting franchises! I mean, given a choice, would you go with alfa, fiat, and citroen, or isuzu utes?? (read: holden colorado with different badge)

Robert.

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

rob83ke70 wrote: I probably would have stayed at my last place of employment should they have kept the three most interesting franchises! I mean, given a choice, would you go with alfa, fiat, and citroen, or isuzu utes??
That's what happens when a family takes over a business and only sees $$$ signs in the sky.

It was the only place over the mountains to get Alfa, Fiat or Citroen's, oh well.

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 pm

I'd LOVE to work for a citroen dealer again!!! I want to drive/work on/own a new c3 ds...

still thinking about what to do. I don't know whats going on at work at the moment, seems a little bit odd...

Robert.

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.ph ... opic=35888

I can think of three large mistakes I've made, one I'm not sure its all legit and two were my fault. I might be being blamed for $5000 worth of major repairs done to fleet company vehicles that we haven't been paid for because correct authorisation was not obtained at the time of repair... I did what I was told!!

Robert.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 am

Mate, if you are an employee you don't wear fudge ups , unless the finger pointers wanna let you a share in the profits dating back to day one. Some of the fleet companies won't budge an inch on a genuine error in their approval systems and rules. Sometmes you can get a bit of leverage by speaking with the approvals manager. Ignore the blame until they give you something in writiing, then present that to the fleet company on your own...

SCOOBIDOO

Post by SCOOBIDOO » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 pm

HI,as a mech trade person i hear you,i went on to vehicle inspection and like it lots,plenty of me time and the money is fine.theres a bunch of stuff going south for you at the moment, with respect
1/ the job does not have the scope you are looking for to evolve in your trade
2/the co workers are getting on your nerves along with some of the clientelle
3/you sound like your bored of orange due to the limit of job options..
4/you need to know if your partner is with you should you want to relocate..
i lived in carcoar when i was 18 for a year and i am happy i went to a location i could grow in....sounds like you need room to grow and theres lots holding you back.

From what you say i think you would thrive in an army work environment with wanting to do the job right attitude you have..that will take you far,but in saying this there will always be personalitys you dont get along so well with,so it would be up to you to decide if the army was doable for you....the ferral ute syndrome in orange is due to the agrigcultural campus.....way back from the 80,s when wb,s were new...:-)
dont let this sway you, i think you should be following your clear line of thought and go find a job in a mercedes or simular european commercial franchise..when there is plenty of diesel,s.....there is not much room for the ideal diagnostic job....as many mechanics can find the problem with little knowledge..and you usually bolt on a new injector pump..new bottom end..or new head when it comes time to repair....and all those items are outsourced usually as units....and then just fitted by you...

you should find out if your partner wants to move for sure..that way you have sound basis to proceed with your dreams,with her support....only you can make them happen..you are ultimatly the master of your own fate....maybe dont sell the house and just rent it out for now..that way you can move back should you feel you want to return to orange.....or sell when things are all settled elsewhere in your new environment.,but i think once you go youll only come back for holidays and let your old boss know how much you have learned elsewhere..;-) ...hope your sucess comes soon enough for you ..cheers Dan
THE FASTER THE SPEED - THE BETTER THE IMPACT...SUBARU

chrisk

Post by chrisk » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 pm

I work in a dealership in Melbourne and it sounds just like your work environment. Minor differences like crap commercial radio v's country, saddle friggers v's knuckle draggers, feral utes v's rubbish cars with more money spent on the stereo than anything of actual performance enhancement, which they then insist on taking to the drag strip (you need a lot of skill to drive in a straight line and an attention span akin to a goldfish) etc.
The grass isn't always as greener unfortunately.
Service advising is just a short cut to a mental breakdown ( actually seen it happen ), unless you manage to get past that and get to 2IC, then manager.
Like you, nothing shits me more than seeing jobs done half arsed.
Coming from a background in rallying ( which I miss dearly ), the dealership is killing me slowly.
I'm currently studying photography part time. It will take another 3 years, but patience is a virtue.
Go with your heart mate, better to have had a crack than later wondering what if?
Hell, what have you got to lose.
All the best :)
Confucius say: always remember the 6 P's - Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance....

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 pm

I'd love to move, my partner would love to move.... just not quite in a position to do so yet, was planning on something happening that way in 12 months or so :(

The boss doesn't seem at all worried that he's been done over by another workshop due to my "stuff up" with that timing belt. I've been told by both gates timing belts website and then toyota themselves that either of those engines are free running, and as the other workshop didn't follow correct procedure (ie put the belt on and check it all works) then we really shouldn't have paid them. I'm worried that he's not worried about it and yet I get my head bitten off about it and other problems I haven't had issues with for some time....

I'm kind of impressed at how the apprentice/bosses son was grumbling around this morning complaining about "d**heads leaving grease in the oil drainers" within my earshot and there is only myself, him, and his father (the boss) that work there.... now I wonder who that is directed at?

I'm going to work and doing what I need to do at the moment (fixing cars) and still working things out...

Robert.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 am

Uh oh, I have been in a situation where the bosses son had the same seniority as the foreman. I lasted six weeks and took them to court over unpaid wages and won. Look up 'work place psycopath' characteristics. Your boss should have had insurance to cover stuff ups of that magnitude. we get it through capricorn mutual for about $2000 a year. Also had those old issues dredged up with another boss mixed in with other non existent things that only came up when he didn't get his four weeks notice. His two weeks notice turned into two minutes, I got the heavies in on him too and got my money owing. twenty years later the multi millionaire spoke to me as if i was his long lost son (who he ain't spoken to in six years or more, poor kid)

Your boss needs invoices staing he must have first right of inspection for any warranty to be valid. If ain't got that or insurance - you ain't the Richard Head

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 pm

now here begs the question, how easy will it be to land a job at a dealership not advertising for any more staff?? I'm nearly set with the resume's and I've made sure all my referees are OK with saying something nice about me!

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:46 pm

torque spec for bolt that broke is 40nm.... that is fairly well swinging off a spanner or 3/8 ratchet to get it to that torque..... hmmm.... and boss isn't at all worried about it!

Return to “Subaru Chat”