L series model differences

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Spin

L series model differences

Post by Spin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Since I got my Brumby I have been taking an interest in other Subaru models and I am now thinking I might get an L series for work as they seem plentiful, reliable, and cheap to buy with lots being wrecked. Can someone tell me the basic differences between the models? I am seeing advertised Touring Wagons, Sports Wagons, Enduros, L Series etc. Hope this doesn't sound too dumb a question :confused: thanks Spin.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:26 am

L-series is the factory specification for these cars (a bit like the 'E' designations for BMW or 'R' designations for Skylines). Generally, in Australia they are called Leone.

In short, Australia got three body types. Sedan, Low roof wagon (also sold as sportswagon, with enduro being a trim level), and a High roof wagon (called touring wagon).

Got facelifted in 1988 (nicer interior). Fuel injected motors were available for 1989 only.

Model run was from 1985 to 1989, with the sportswagons lasting until 1993. Turbo cars were available from 1985 to 1989.

4WD in sedans was available for pre facelift models only.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:41 am

and somewhere in one of the categories is a sticky post differences between MY and L that may be of interest

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 pm

found it

showthread.php?t=7037

rear drums are mostly the same on my and L series, if you can get a disc setup its interchangable but when you put it on the MY series you have to play with the brake lines to get them to fit

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 pm

GTlegs wrote:In short, Australia got three body types. Sedan, Low roof wagon (also sold as sportswagon, with enduro being a trim level), and a High roof wagon (called touring wagon).

Got facelifted in 1988 (nicer interior). Fuel injected motors were available for 1989 only.

Model run was from 1985 to 1989, with the sportswagons lasting until 1993. Turbo cars were available from 1985 to 1989.

4WD in sedans was available for pre facelift models only.
To correct a few things: A more accurate time of the facelift was in 1987 with no distinct month where the change happened. On the exterior the changes were the grill and front side indicators that moved to a smaller lense surrounded by a clear lense (pre 1987 these were all orange with no clear surrounding). Electrically a few things changed - new pollution gear added, light would turn off with ignition and the touring wagons had an EFI option (MPFI).

The early L's can be found with 3.9 diffs - I have not seen a post '87 with 3.9 ratio. The L series wagon ran from 1985 to 1994! The front wheel drive sedan came out in 1984. I'm not sure when they ceased producing the L series sedan.

That's interesting about the turbo L's - I guess the RS had to take over at some stage...

Thats all I can think of for now.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”