my/lseries vs sierra ?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
brenton

my/lseries vs sierra ?

Post by brenton » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:17 pm

hey guys i have a MY series wagon with a welded rear diff and stock other wise, but i also have a '84 sierra with a blown motor. im in to minds to which one to fix up and turn into my weekend 4wd to go out with my brother in his hilux. anybody want to say which they think will be better with the same money spent on them ? will the sierra just be better once completed ?
cheers brenton

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:22 pm

do what u think is right for u

Kappage

Post by Kappage » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Do up the L series, the only real advantage of the Sierra is that it has a super short wheel base, other than that they crap, they are cold in winter and leak like a sieve with water. My mates all have them done up and i beat them in 4wding in a Stock L series 4wding.. SO sad considering how much they spent on all of there cars and the l series we have we paid $500 for.

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:47 am

The sierra has solid axles where the subis have independent front and rear suspension, so you will get better articulation with the right mods but unless your an extreme 4x4 driver you wont need it, the only other advantage the suzi has is in the aftermarket where there are lift kits, diff locks, ultra low range transfer gears, etc. i went wheeling in my 2" lifted brumby and showed up a cruiser with 35's and kept up with a lifted hilux with 33's and a patrol swb.

Just keep the L and put a 2 or 3" lift under it and get some decent rubber under her, and just pick your lines properly and you should keep up with all but the nutso extreme wheelers
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

brenton

Post by brenton » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:50 pm

yeah ill put the sierra aside till i have the time and money to do the diesel conversion in it. im in the process of planning my 3in lift kit for the lseries.
;). but ive only got a 3.7 diff ratio will this affect the tyre size i can run ?
cheers brenton

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 pm

It won't effect the tyre size you can run - all it will effect is your gearing and make the EA work a little harder to get up hills etc. Just about everyone who has a lift and 27 inch tyres puts up with this. Those that can't usually shove an EJ in there to make up for the lack of power.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 pm

brenton wrote:yeah ill put the sierra aside till i have the time and money to do the diesel conversion in it. im in the process of planning my 3in lift kit for the lseries.
;). but ive only got a 3.7 diff ratio will this affect the tyre size i can run ?
cheers brenton
Good idea, but why a diesel convert?
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:29 am

brenton wrote:hey guys i have a MY series wagon
brenton wrote: im in the process of planning my 3in lift kit for the lseries.
I'm confused - do you have an MY or an L series?

Either way yeah the Sierra is fundamentally going to be better offroad but it all depends what you want. A Subaru is a better all-rounder really. What BrumbyBoy says is spot-on.

brenton

Post by brenton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 am

lol sorry to confuse you guys , i actually have a MY '81 and a '92 L series and a '84 sierra.
only had the sierra running for a couple of days in my paddock before the motor packed it in. ive just picked up the L and im in the process of lifting up and welding the diff. i had a welded rear in my MY and it was awesome of road but you had to ring its neck to get up really steep places which was always exciting but at the risk of breaking stuff. i didnt have a lift in the MY but ill be lifting the L for sure.
cheers brenton

Return to “Subaru Chat”