how use cyl leak testers ?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

how use cyl leak testers ?

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 pm

I have used snap on brand cylinder leakage (leak down ) testers where you must first regulate pressure to unit before connecting to cylinder to then get cylinder leakage reading off second gauge expressed as a percentage of leak from cylinder.

I have a cheapy from a tool guy on ebay. Try same and the leakage % gauge goes nuts like clockwise to stop pin !! and does not change to give good reading when connected

Does anyone know correct procedure for non snap on type from china?

I would expect the principle is the same but not working in this case.

I connected it up to cold cylinder (should be op temp) and getting huge blow by to crankcase which explains my boost pressure getting to sump to blow oil out rear breather and into air box

jim

Post by jim » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:45 am

is this the same thing as a compression tester?

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 am

no not like a compression tester.

Steptoe i have used Leak testers before but they all did the same as you describe for the snapon one.
ie. Connect to airline and regualte the pressure to what it tells you.
thread a fitting into the sparkplug hole then connect the 2 bits together.
the Guage then tells how much leakage its got, and you cna then figure out where its coming from.

Maybe you could regulate the pressure coming out of the Air Compressor your using?
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 am

Matatak is correct - it is not a test of compression, more a test of what percentage of a set pressure put in is escaping and aids in finding where by listening to crankcase air openings, exhaust or intake side if the percentage is not normal range. To be done on op temp engine with cyl set on TDC

It is never been used. bought from geoffstools.com.au via ebay - smells of mothballs = china $79 plus postage

found a trade supplier had one made in USA for not much more after I bought this !!

found under cylnder leak down compression tester trade quality

was odd in trying to contact as phone number message would tell me i was not registered 'goodbye' . messages were not answered. based in berowra heights 2082

Return to “Subaru Chat”