Test drove new Impreza

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Willie

Test drove new Impreza

Post by Willie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Mum and Dad are in the market for a new car - time to trade in the '94 Impreza Hatch (2WD).

We went over to Tom Kerr to look at the new Impreza. Nice enough car, however I wasn't impressed by the door trims - all plastic, no cloth lining / inserts or othe contrasting material. I feel it made it look a bit cheap and nasty. The reswt of it was nice. They sure have improved the NHV on this new model. Must have something to do with the window frames on the doors.

It drove nicely and was very smooth. I quite liked the handling.

The trade in deal of only $2000 has Dad a bit peed off. Honda have offered $3500 on a new Civic VTI-L.

Other cars on their list are:
Golf, Mazda3, Focus, Astra, Pug.

They are also toying with the idea of looking at the next price bracket and are considering the Honda Euro and BMW 1 series. I've sugested the Liberty, also.

If anyone is interested in a '94 2WD manual Impreza wagon that has never been over 3000 rpm (my dad really drives like the proverbial old man), let me know.
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:53 pm

From drive.com.au
SUBARU IMPREZA GX
5D HATCHBACK, 1994, 1.8 lt, 5 SP MANUAL
Average km's travelled 200,000
Price when new $26575

Estimated Valuations:
$3780-4620 private sale
$3400-4200 trade in value
$6200-7440 dealer price

The yard is ripping them off, why not they clean it up and sell it in private?

Same with my parents they're in market looking for small car and yes impreza is one of them.... They wanted me to test drive one and see what i think, 2nd car if it wasn't Subaru would be Golf Diesel.

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

outback02

Post by outback02 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:54 pm

yes i agree with alpine, if it wasnt gonna be the subi it would definately be the golf... maybe the GTi :mrgreen: mmmm GTi :cool:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:04 pm

outback02 wrote:yes i agree with alpine, if it wasnt gonna be the subi it would definately be the golf... maybe the GTi :mrgreen: mmmm GTi :cool:
I also back this move ;)

The new subi's with their door frames don't grab me at all - they've lost their subi touch in my opinion...

Cheeers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Willie

Post by Willie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 am

AlpineRaven wrote:From drive.com.au

Same with my parents they're in market looking for small car and yes impreza is one of them.... They wanted me to test drive one and see what i think, 2nd car if it wasn't Subaru would be Golf Diesel.

Cheers
AP
The Golf is definately on their list, however they would be looking at the 1.6 I think. Depends on appointments / options available. Maybe the 2.0FSI, however not the GTI. I drove a mates DSG GTI not long ago. I normally don't like autos, but that thing hauled a##e! I would be getting the DSG 'box if I was buying one.
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 pm

+1 for the golf
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:08 pm

If nothing else but looks alone it would be hard to go past the Golf, that and the fact the new impreza looks sh*thouse doesnt help its cause. The others all look ok to but i spose it depends on what bang for ya buck you get.

outback02

Post by outback02 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:21 pm

The golf GTi is still the best bang for your buck. performance, style, fuel efficiency, handling, safety etc it was recently voted best performance car under 30k
having said that tho the other cars in the category were ford xr4 non turbo - mitsubishi colt ralliart - suzuki swift GTi , the nearest competition was the colt, which pulled nearly identical numbers on performance at high end. Apart from the statistics the golf is a good looking hatch, my personal opinion anyway...
Good luck with your search hope you land a good bargain!

Willie

Post by Willie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 am

They ended up getting the VTI-L Civic. Best trade-in deal ($4k), rego, stamp duty, CTP, floor mats, headlight protectors and mudflaps all thrown in to sweeten the deal. Pick up next Friday (6 Mar). I'll let you all know my impressions when I've had a drive.

(was really hoping they'd get the golf!)
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

outback02

Post by outback02 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

hey lets face it they could have done worse than a VTI-L Civic :)
Its no golf but its not the worst on the list.. yeh let us know how it drives you will more than likely be surprised! I have a few mates that swear by certain honda`s.. good luck

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Spose, could of been a corolla!

aware

Post by aware » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Congrats. Honda's are just as good as a Subaru. We're now running an Accord V6 Luxury alongside the Forester.

Btw which Impreza did you test drive (which model)?

wrxtc

Post by wrxtc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:25 pm

hm bummer that we were lookin for a imprezza oh well never mind
[SIGPIC][http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7845/003ic7.jpg[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]

Willie

Post by Willie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:24 pm

outback02 wrote:hey lets face it they could have done worse than a VTI-L Civic :)
Its no golf but its not the worst on the list.. yeh let us know how it drives you will more than likely be surprised! I have a few mates that swear by certain honda`s.. good luck
Had a drive over the w'end. Nice car! The A pillar seemed big to me, but my Dad says he doesn't notice it. It was soooo smooth and ample power from it's v-tec 1.8. (The "Sports" 2.0l must be pretty quick!) Handling was good, also.

We've had a few Honda's in the family over the years - they've all been good. My sister still has an '86 Accord (pop-up headlight model) that I sold her a few years back. It's done 295,000km and only recently had the clutch replaced for the first time. She had an older '79 Accord before that, which had 385,000 kms on it when it finally wouldn't get through rego any more, due to rust.
aware wrote:Congrats. Honda's are just as good as a Subaru. We're now running an Accord V6 Luxury alongside the Forester.

Btw which Impreza did you test drive (which model)?
We drove the RX (middle of the range). Quite well appointed, really. That dealer had some good deals on them at the time. Trade in was a killer, though.

Cheers,
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

aware

Post by aware » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Willie wrote:Had a drive over the w'end. Nice car! The A pillar seemed big to me, but my Dad says he doesn't notice it. It was soooo smooth and ample power from it's v-tec 1.8. (The "Sports" 2.0l must be pretty quick!) Handling was good, also.

We've had a few Honda's in the family over the years - they've all been good. My sister still has an '86 Accord (pop-up headlight model) that I sold her a few years back. It's done 295,000km and only recently had the clutch replaced for the first time. She had an older '79 Accord before that, which had 385,000 kms on it when it finally wouldn't get through rego any more, due to rust.

We drove the RX (middle of the range). Quite well appointed, really. That dealer had some good deals on them at the time. Trade in was a killer, though.

Cheers,
Yeah Honda's are great, I hope they enjoy theirs

We have had our eye out lately, because I'm about nto get my P's in the next month, and one option is that I take our current Forester, and mum gets a new Forester/Impreza. With the deals Subaru are doing, and will continue to do (hopefully) because of the economy, it was a viable option.

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm

This is "Subaru" chat isnt it? :)

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah, I think someone mentioned one somewhere. :p
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Willie

Post by Willie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Subaman wrote:This is "Subaru" chat isnt it? :)
Yes - but I consider myself a car enthusiast, not just a Subaru enthusiast.

And the forum is just as much about the people in here as well as the love for the cars we drive. All aspects of our lives are can and should be discussed amongst friends.....
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 pm

..... and thats why we have a section called "open slather" ;)

Return to “Subaru Chat”